Deer Hunting 101...Questions and Answers

E_Catron

Why do you see deer every where before deer season but the closter you get to opening day the less you see? are they changing their patterns preparing for rut or is it food related (acorn dropping etc..) and they no longer need to expose themselves to eat??

tullisfireball

Why do you see deer every where before deer season but the closter you get to opening day the less you see? are they changing their patterns preparing for rut or is it food related (acorn dropping etc..) and they no longer need to expose themselves to eat??

It is both reasons and the fact the closer we get to hunting season, more people start heading to the woods to hang stands scout etc. All of the activity starts putting pressure on them

E_Catron

It is both reasons and the fact the closer we get to hunting season, more people start heading to the woods to hang stands scout etc. All of the activity starts putting pressure on them

Thanks, I had not thought about the add pressure from scouting, great point! :)

alvishere

great thread ....I have to remind myself where to come back and finish reading.
Last thread is 143-------10-28-06

rmay22

No deer tags this year?

Can someone tell me what to do in keeping up with our havested deer this year with no tags

THWACKG5

Can someone tell me what to do in keeping up with our havested deer this year with no tags

If I understand your question properly.....you should have printed off a 2009 deer harvest record, from the DNR websight when you bought your liscense. If you havent, make sure that you do, becasue you can get busted for not having that along with your actual liscense!

THWACKG5

Question

I am relatively new to hunting in Ga. I am from Michigan and this is only my second year hunting down here. I have heard from more than one "ol timer" also diferent guys from work, that hunting clear cuts in Ga will almost always produce deer!?!?!?! I know there are a ton of variables that go along with that statement, but has anyone else hear that, or had any luck hunting clear cuts? I typically like to hunt in the thick dark woods. This year I am hunting a pretty cleared out area in a ladder stand with a blind around it, over a small oat plot, and havent seen ANYTHING!!!!!:banginghe

tullisfireball

I am relatively new to hunting in Ga. I am from Michigan and this is only my second year hunting down here. I have heard from more than one "ol timer" also diferent guys from work, that hunting clear cuts in Ga will almost always produce deer!?!?!?! I know there are a ton of variables that go along with that statement, but has anyone else hear that, or had any luck hunting clear cuts? I typically like to hunt in the thick dark woods. This year I am hunting a pretty cleared out area in a ladder stand with a blind around it, over a small oat plot, and havent seen ANYTHING!!!!!:banginghe

After you see a couple of deer in a clear cut you will start picking them out, sometimes you will only see brush move out of rhythm with the wind and then you will pick out a deer. Get some good binos and look close

Longhairedkuntryboy

Alright I'm new to hunting this only my 2nd year. Can someone tell me what happened? A few weekends ago was out scouting our land in talbot co I found a very well used trail that had some rubs near it. So the next weekend I put my camera near the rubs. The next weekend I went back to check the cam anp put out my climber. I got some nice pics of an 8 point and several does. WeLl I went back last weekend t check the cam once more and mark my trail with reflective pins and I hjad zero pics and the trails didn't look like they had been used in a week. Did my scent run them off? Will they come back or should I just abandon the area?

Slug-Gunner

Deer "Follow the FOOD SOURCE"

Alright I'm new to hunting this only my 2nd year. Can someone tell me what happened? A few weekends ago was out scouting our land in Talbot co I found a very well used trail that had some rubs near it. So the next weekend I put my camera near the rubs. The next weekend I went back to check the cam and put out my climber. I got some nice pics of an 8 point and several does. Well I went back last weekend t check the cam once more and mark my trail with reflective pins and I had zero pics and the trails didn't look like they had been used in a week. Did my scent run them off? Will they come back or should I just abandon the area?

It may be a combination of a few different things that caused the deer to seek other trails to use.

Deer seldom use the EXACT SAME TRAIL to travel on a regular basis. They often have 4-6 different routes they use for travel to/from both food sources and bedding areas.... these can change often, especially if the 'food source' changes or NEW FOOD SOURCES BECOME AVAILABLE. Right now the 'mast crop' (acorns) is starting to drop, while muscadine and other 'summer food sources' are disappearing. If you have persimmons on your property or white oaks, check near them for signs of deer feeding. Also, as 'fall season' approaches and leaves start to fall from trees, deer may seek MORE SHELTERED TRAVEL ROUTES TO USE, especially the larger, more wary bucks. They often will let the does 'walk point' for them before they 'expose themselves to dangerous travel routes'.... or walk off to the side of the regular route by 25-50 yards. As leaves and pine straw begin to litter the 'travel routes', it takes an 'experienced hunter' to see the 'signs of recent travel' by 'turned leaves and disturbed pine straw'.... things that 'new hunters' ARE NOT FAMILIAR WITH.

The SECOND BIGGEST MISTAKE many hunters make is to actually WALK ON THE ACTUAL DEER TRAILS and/or 'touch' trees and vegetation with their BARE HANDS. If you're NOT USING RUBBER SOLED BOOTS, you are most likely leaving 'human scent sources' near their trails. Deer are 'creatures of habit' and often 'strange smells' or smells they associate with DANGER will make them 'spooky' of an area. One of the best 'scent control' things you can do is buy a pair of rubber high-top boots, like LaCrosse Alpha Burleys or Muck Boots and ONLY PUT THEM ON WHEN YOU ARE READY TO LEAVE YOUR VEHICLE. This way they do not pick up 'strange scents', like stopping for fuel on your way to the hunting area or walking around your house where 'dog smells' may be present. Another 'trick' is TO NOT WALK DIRECTLY ON A KNOWN 'TRAVEL ROUTE' OF DEER.... walk a few yards off to one side if possible. DO NOT TOUCH A 'RUB' TREE EITHER.

If you stay away from that particular area, they may return to using it again. But, then again they may not if they have changed 'FOOD SOURCES'.

Older, experienced hunters know "TO FOLLOW THE FOOD SOURCES", which can change as the season and 'rut activity' changes. Although SKILL may play a large part in determining this, LUCK is still the main item in THAT YOU HAVE TO BE WHERE THE DEER ARE, AT THE SAME TIME, TO BE SUCCESSFUL.

Hope this helps. Additional comments welcomed.

Last edited:

Longhairedkuntryboy

thanks for the advice i will take all that into consideration in the future. ya i guess i may have screwed up i walked around and broke some branches off to make some shooting lanes. its hard to hunt the food source on our land there are so many white oaks. a food source could be anywhere. my stand is in a white oak as a matter of fact.

batman

During the rut the bucks are going to be behind the does and will occasionally pop into food plots but my best bucks have been in the woods, they seem to be about ten minutes behind the does on average. Atleast this has been my experiences for the past several years.

batman

I have been hunting for years and I just use rubber soled boots. Clean clothes but washed only in hot water ( no smelly detergents or bounce in the dryer). Or I might hang my hunting clothes on a clothes line outside for a couple days. Just remember no cologne, body spray etc. being quiet and still to me are the most important. I went hunting yesterday in my work clothes, just through on my cammo jacket and boots and had deer 10' from my stand.

albridges

I prefer the mornings. But I have shot and seen a lot in the evening. Mid day can be good, if you feel it go if not stay home. But I will guarantee you will not see a deer if your not in the woods.

Good luck

lee31794

calling in Deer.

Just curious to see how everybody uses deer calls. When do you use a grunt call while in the stand? How Often? In what sequence? and on what setting? I really just don't know how to use mine. HAHAHA

DB87

I just added a built a few small winter plots near my wood stands this weekend. I was wondering if anyone new about how long I should stay away from those stands. (how much will that disrupt the deer flow)

taylor0118

I hunt in Southwest GA north of Arlington in Edison or Early county. This is my first year leasing property in GA because I normaly use an outfitter but love GA hunting. I have seen several does and a few smaller bucks but have yet to see much activity in the way of Pre Rut. Does anyone hunt this area and if so when are these bucks going to start rubbing and scraping?

REEFD

Is it best to have two seperate stands to hunt from....one for morning hunts and one for evening hunts?
I think the more stands you have (mornin and afternoon) the better chance you have of not burnin one area out plus you may not be able to hunt one because of the wind direction .So you can have back up spots just for these occasions. Jus my opinion tho . GOOD LUCK