Deer hunting is slow - so perhaps a tale of Midwest hunting is in order.... (pt 1)

hoppie

I keep coming back to see if a part 2 was posted. Loved reading it and got me excited about sitting in a tree

Jim Boyd

Check your email Matthew

Jim Boyd

I will be interested to know - good or bad - what u think about the fictional story.

Thanks for asking for it!

techfire55

Gentlemen,
Yes, Jim's written stories are great and can do a lot to bring back memories for all of us. However, if you could just listen to him recount his adventures around the campfire at night you would be amazed. He weaves a wonderful thread and the excitement in his voice and on his face is rivaled only by that of a child at Christmas. He truly loves the sport of deer hunting and at over 60 years old still has a fire burning in him that is unmatched by most.
I feel very blessed to be able to have hunted with him these last few years but that pales in comparison to how blessed I am to call this man my friend and my mentor. Those of you that know Jim on a personal level know of hat I speak, those of you that do not, I pray that the Lord will bring a hunting partner to you one day as fine as my friend, Jim Boyd.

Techfire, aka 2015 CMHC Doe Commander Champion and 2018 Illinois archery kill state record holder.

Jim Boyd

Guys,

Again – your words are too kind.

Keith – MeatSeeker – Scott county borders Pike, Morgan and Greene counties. Adams county borders Pike, Brown, Schuyler and Hancock. The northwest corner of Scott lies about 18 miles from the Southeast corner of Adams county. Sounds like you may be hunting farms that have some distance between them – or do you have the counties mixed up perhaps. Regardless – you will be hunting one of – if not THE – premier areas in the US for giant bucks. The area that lies between the Mississippi and Illinois rivers is the home of the some absolute giants…. And now that you are on private land, my hopes for you are even higher! I am delighted for you and hope you have a great time. Looks like you might be rolling in for some fine archery hunting – but will you be staying over for the SG season?

I will be coming in a week ahead of you (arrive 4 Nov) and will be there through 16 November, which should be the day before SG starts.

Look and see if you are staying anywhere near Meredosia – my guess is this may be the closest town near you. If so, there is a great place called The Approach, we can meet there one night for dinner.

My story was down in the SE corner of Scott county but most of my hunting will be up in Schuyler – and I will be staying in Rushville for lodging.

Keith (TechFire) – listen, my friend, you may consider me your mentor, but I promise that our friendship is a two way street. I am so looking forward to your first Midwest trip and my prayer is that the stars align and you see some cross eyed, slobbering, giant buck with a bullseye tattooed on his side. Standing still. 20 yards. Beyond that, what I am looking forward to are the adult beverage fueled stories we will tell each night – stories of boring hours, sore butts, frozen toes, tired of 20 knot winds, bucks chasing does – and who knows what else…

Now – about that tag as the 2018 archery record… that is just simply too much pressure to put on me and a little bitty 300 acre farm! Get real, brother…. It is possible – but not probable! I have already given you MY predictions – and they include at least SEEING a 150” buck (which is sort of optimistic) but I would be very surprised if you don’t see and potentially have a chance for – at least a 135” +…

Thanks to all – I have another story I want to share – but it might take me a while.

In the meantime, let me know if you want to read the fictional story – but it is a little longer….

Jim

meatseeker

You are correct Jim. The farm is 360 acres. The vast majority is in Scott and the other is in Morgan and green county. It is one piece of ground. You can literally hunt and see all three counties if you sit in the right tree. I will be gun only as this is a friends bow lease and he was gracious enough to let me gun hunt it. Beggars can't be choosers. Lol but I will return the favor by mounting his deer free of charge each year. It's the least I can do considering he didn't have to do this. That's my way of paying it forward. It hasn't been gun hunted before and the farmer lives there to keep an eye on things. I am going to try and find some public ground nearby and if I do I may come up around the 1st.

Jim Boyd

If you come on the first, would love to have you come up to Rushville for our GON get together on 4 November.

Last year we had a dozen or more GON'ers in there for supper.

Travel safe.

Jim Boyd

Keith yes there is some public ground in the area, some of quite good too.

I think much of it in this highly coveted area is by weekly lottery though.

Check it out!

oppthepop

looking forward to dinner one night with Jim when we are both in Illinois mid November! And I have to give Jim and huge THANK YOU for his praise at some of my feeble attempts at writing, which has prompted me to write and publish my first book that hopefully will be out in June or July, just in time for the fury that builds just before the september air chills and we all start the journey! Hats off Mr. Jim Boyd!

Jim Boyd

Karl (Opp),

There is nothing feeble about your writing and we all wish we had your talent! We are all looking forward to your book and I am personally more than willing to help perpetuate your budding career – just let us know how to download, order etc once it is available.

Yessir, I will be looking forward to dinner in November – what a grand time that will be – we will make plans as we get closer.

We are fortunate in my area of SC – we have a pretty strong rut, which, weather depending - is typically the last week of October. So… our ramp up is sharp as we approach Halloween… some fairly decent archery hunting the week before Halloween and then…. Off to the land of the giants!

Let us know about the book – and congrats, we are proud of you!

Jim

flatsmaster

Dang Mr Jim ... quite the adventure there and very well put together read ..... Now tell the truth u just wanted him to have 1 more yr to blow up to FREAKASAURUS :bounce::bounce:

Jim Boyd

Chuck I would love to tell you that I had that much discipline.

Truth of the matter is I would have vented him in a heartbeat!

Catch 'em up this summer, see ya in November!!!

Curtis-UGA

Great story Jim! Really enjoyed it. Its the small details that are sometimes overlooked or take for granted that really make hunts special. That quiet time of prayer and reflection before the sun rises is one of the things I enjoy the most. Whenever I turkey hunt with my Dad we will get to our pre dawn listning spot and he always tells me "lets get quiet and say a little prayer." That's the good stuff.

BornToHuntAndFish

Hard to beat whitetail hunting stories. Way to go, Jim! Lots of time & effort put into that one. Hope the next Midwest hunting adventure is good to you.

C'mon November rut!

BluewaterFever

Excellent read Mr Jim, felt like i was there.
Please send me a copy of your other adventure. I would love to read that one also.