Deer stand reading?

Elkbane

Well, this week, "Gone With The Wind" would have been good......

Elkbane

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Southern Storm, Shermans March to the Sea.

doenightmare

Gone But Not Forgotten
I just follow the Live From the Tree thread for the day on here.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I like to watch for deer, and watch what's going on around me in the woods, myself. I love to read, but the woods are a great book if you pay attention.

marknga

GONetwork Member
Great thread!
Michael Connelly's newest character in "The Late Show"
Stephen Hunter: "G-Men"
Brad Thor: "Use of Force"
Dean Koontz: "The Silent Corner"

Good luck hunting.

boatbuilder

I like to watch for deer, and watch what's going on around me in the woods, myself. I love to read, but the woods are a great book if you pay attention.

It helps me stay in the stand longer and helps me be still and not want to move as much.

In my experience more time in the woods being comfortable and relaxed is more important for a suslcessful hunt than less time being hyper vigilant.

ditchdoc24

I read my Kindle all the time when I'm sitting in the stand. I'll read a page, look around and then turn the page. It makes for a very relaxing and enjoyable time in the woods.

Jim Boyd

I would suggest reading nothing.

I am an avid reader and books please me greatly.

I am also an avid deer hunter and in my opinion, reading and hunting are awful bed-fellows.

I missed chances or gave away my position numerous times to deer while reading and finally convinced myself it is a bad idea.

I then got smart and got an IPOD and loaded books to it – and used a set of ear buds with one bud cut off and just listened in one ear.

This is a great way to pass the time but is not a great way to deer hunt, as you are deaf in one ear and are also distracted by the story.

As far as helping me stay in the stand longer, many of my days are re-planned - 6 am to 6 pm, so leaving is not an option.

In 2016, I let a great 140+ class ten point walk right under my stand and I did not see him til he was at my 11 o-clock walking straight away and he offered no shot opportunity. I did a light grunt at about 25 yards, hoping he would stop and turn and present a shot, but that was not the case. Last I saw him, he was still walking, dead away…. I am not 100% positive but I believe it was about 1330 when this happened.

It is possible that had I heard him, I might have been able to change the situation – but I did not hear him and as you already know, was not able to turn him.

So, no books or IPOD for me in the stand, even midday.

If you simply must read something, my recommendation is the Gunslinger / Dark Tower series by Steven King. Best set of stories I ever read but man, are they long.

Good luck this year!

Triple C

If you're approaching 50 or older..."Younger Next Year".

If you've carried around an extra 20 or more lbs for more than a decade or two..."The Obesity Factor". Down 9.6lbs in 3 weeks since finishing the book.

Just started a book on Thomas Jefferson...Think I'm gonna like it.

If you want to read a great novel based on the Battle of Gettysburg that's based on fact..."Killer Angels". Read it twice. Couldn't put it down.

If your dad served in the south pacific during WWII..."Flags of Our Fathers". 10 times better than the movie. Another couldn't put it down book.

toolmkr20

I carry a small pocket bible that stays in my backpack that I read. I've carried one with me to the woods since I was a kid and first started hunting.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
It helps me stay in the stand longer and helps me be still and not want to move as much.

In my experience more time in the woods being comfortable and relaxed is more important for a suslcessful hunt than less time being hyper vigilant.

If I was bored in the woods, I would not be hunting. I'd stay at home and watch tv.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
OP I understand. My brain has to be engaged or I'll go to sleep when I get still.

Enemies foreign and domestic trilogy by matt bracken
The bracken anthology (short stories by same author)

Walking home by A. American

The old man and the boy by Robert Ruark

The survivalist series by Arthur Bradley

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
I might also recommend if you're into mountain man kind of stories
"Carry the wind" trilogy by Terry c johnson

"The long rifle" by Stewart Edward white

And "the big sky" by a b Guthrie

Minner

Louis L'amour, Ralph Compton, Pat McManus are some of the ones I've enjoyed in the woods over the years. I once spent 8 hours in an enclosed tower stand in the pouring rain with a Microsoft book. Can't say as I'd recommend that one though.

TomC

CJ Box Joe Pickett Series. Great series of books about a game warden in Montana. Really good!!!

Twiggbuster

I,ve tried reading in the stand. Just can't do it.
Fear of missing that glimpse cause I hunt where it's thick as heck.
Plus having to refocus my eyes takes a toll now that I,m older.
I just sit back and day dream . Look hard for awhile, then chill.
Repeat.