Dehumidifier for my safe

nmurph

How does dehumidifier get the moisture it collects out of the safe ?.

If your safe is in an area with a consistent temp, then you probably don't need anything. I've had my safe for about 14yrs. I've never used a DH and I've never had a rust problem... and I don't coat my guns with oil. I would use a desiccant if I needed to remove moisture.

Gator89

If the safe is in the AC'd portion of your house, humidity should not be problem, mine stays about 50%.

I had to run a dehumidifier in my garage/basement in my house in GA to keep the humidity down in the safe, 50 to 55%.

X2 the golden rod. Mine has been running for probably 20 years straight no issues. When I worked/lived in SW Louisiana I had a shotgun rust that I left in the corner next to the front door, Ac/heat all year, still rusted. The guns in the safe with the golden rod rust free. The rod just stays hot and drys the air inside the safe...no water to dump out.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I use Golden Rods and Eva Dry rechargeable ones in mine. Make sure you get the correct size rod for your container size. The Eva-Dry E333 is the most common one but the E-500 is a better choice if you can find it, again get the correct size for your container

Reactions: Dub

killerv

make sure the bottom of the safe is not sitting on concrete also. A lot of moisture can be drawn in through the concrete.

ssramage

make sure the bottom of the safe is not sitting on concrete also. A lot of moisture can be drawn in through the concrete.

Yep, good point.

I've got my safe sitting in my basement garage in easily one of the most humid areas of the state. I put some boards under it to allow air flow so the bottom of the safe wouldn't rust, and I put one of the bigger golden rods in there. Over 2 years now like that and not any rust issues at all.

Jester896

Senior Clown
Normally the bottom of the safe isn't finished and will rust pretty quick. You could use 1X4s or even treated deck boards next to the lag hole when you anchor it to create your air gap off the concrete.

SC Hunter

I live in South West Georgia and humidity is always present. I have a cannon safe with one of the cylinders you can out in the oven in it. Once it changes colors you bake it for several hours. I dont have any problems with rust on my guns in the safe, but it is inside the house in the living room.

Dub

Normally the bottom of the safe isn't finished and will rust pretty quick. You could use 1X4s or even treated deck boards next to the lag hole when you anchor it to create your air gap off the concrete.

I have been using a Golden Rod in my safe for years.

After seeing your suggestion I picked up one of these to put in there, too.

I'm not taking any chances with the humidity that's running 200% outside and about 117% inside. :rofl:

Thanks for the suggestion. Looks like it's going to be simple to use and effective.

ldavid008

Get a box of DampRid bags ($9/3) at walmart, lowes, etc and hang one in your safe. Any moisture your current system doesn't get will collect in the bag.

It most likely won't get it all but any it does get will be a bonus along with telling you if you've a problem with moisture. My SIL hung one up in our bathroom and even with a fan it filled up in 3-4 weeks. I bought a box to hang another and added one to our safe. I also add the date I put it out with a sharpie for reference.

nmurph

You can buy a gallon can of desiccant for $30 on Amazon. This is a lifetime dont for me. Fill an old sock and throw it in the bottom of the safe. When it needs recharging, throw it in a baking pan and put it in the oven for an hour.