Delta Airlines......

H

HT2

Man, this has got to really be a tough situation to be in, if you are employed my Delta......I personally know a few people that work for Delta, and they are just kind of in a "Don't Know" situation......

What a terrible thing to have to be goin' thru.......I'm sure there are some people on Woody's that work for Delta....I know of a couple of them......

From everybody's perspective, What exactly is the problem??????

And, don't be smart-alics like myself......I know they are spending more than they are bringing in.....That's pretty self-explanatory......

Is it "high ticket costs"?????

Salary's too High?????

What's the deal???? ::huh: ::huh:

Jeff Phillips

It's a combination of having the highest paid employees in the business and having to meet the lower fares. It is certainly not from a lack of business. I fly Delta every week and most of the flights are near full.

dbodkin

Mis management....Low cost airlines eating Delta's lunch.....

QuakerBoy

USAirways is having the same problem. They just applied for bankruptcy a second time. Employees are taking salary cuts and it still doesn't seem to work. Lots of layoffs. My neighbor works for them and I'm always worried bout his job.

DanSmith

Banned
rpaul11 said:
USAirways is having the same problem. They just applied for bankruptcy a second time. Employees are taking salary cuts and it still doesn't seem to work. Lots of layoffs. My neighbor works for them and I'm always worried bout his job.
I would loose my buisness IF I ran it 1 week the way they do! better help your friend start l00king .. avoid the rush! because its comming!! :(

Walkie Takie

Delta

UPPER UPPER MANAGMENT making bad decision's w/ the working man's money
don't forget about the old eastern group ???????//////// w/t

E

early riser

The Union killed Eastern. They didn't think Eastern would actually close the doors. The company came straight out and told the union if they didn't give in that Eastern would just shut down, and they DID! EASTERN SHUT DOWN rather than continue to deal with the union, and everybody lost out, not just the company but the flying public as well. I have a good friend that worked for Eastern and I know a little more than most from what all he had to say about Eastern. Everything from threats to his own life and that of his family members, not to mention damage to his home and property because he didn't walk the union line. The union ultamately killed Eastern.

Same will happen to Delta if every step of the ranks within the company are not willing to give up a little, high salaries, high fuel costs, too big to see the real $ wasted while low cost money pinching smaller companies run a tighter and better controlled airline.

Hate to see it, it was a terrible thing when Eastern closed shop, will be just as bad with delta.

e.r.

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
ER Shoots & Scores!!!

Unions killed Eastern & will surely do the same to Delta. :shoot:

Just got back from Dallas, TX Wed. night (barely due to Ivan) and everyone is pretty worried about the job cuts there too. The news was reporting it was going to have huge impact on the local economy and effect airport operations at DFW. The Dallas news was reporting 5,000 job losses expected there, the news here was saying 7,000 with most being in Dallas but no figures. Sounds like close to 2,000 job cut's here then. DFW's web site said Delta would reduce operations effective Jan 1, 05 from 1200 +/- to 120+/- flights a day.
American beat Delta's fare by nearly 75.00 for the same round trip fare that left and returned within 30 min. of each other. The only advantage to flying Delta would have been Prioity for landings at ATL comming home.

Ga-Spur

I have a neighbor that is retired from Delta and she is afraid she will not keep getting her monthly check.

Chuck C

I had always flown Delta until Wednesday.
AirTran was the deal.
Newer Jets, more room,half the price!
I flew business class for less than a Delta coach fare and yes, I booked weeks in advance.

I took a soaking from Delta on Monday due to an error I made on a return flight.
If I never fly Delta again it will suit me just fine.

My only concern is what to do with my 250,000 air miles; if they go under, I'm sure to lose the miles. :mad:

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
One word--U-N-I-O-N-S.

When the workers tell the owners how much they're worth with no regard to whether or not the company makes money, the company is doomed to failure.

T

GeauxLSU

Unions are a concept who's time has come and GONE. And they will all be gone, eventually, one way or the other. :rolleyes:
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

roadkill

This is Roadkill's wife

I am sure to step on toes here and please know this is Roadkill's wife, not him, but just to clear something up... ALL Delta employees are NOT the highest paid in the industry. The pilots, yes, they are. I also do not know how many other "groups" at Delta have a Union other than the pilots. I DO know that the mechanics DO NOT have one, and I am glad. But, all the mess with the pilots is going to hurt the entire company. I understand that this whole mess supposedly is not all the pilot negotiation crap, but it certainly has not helped. Personally, I'd like to see Delta save the company, and try to keep as many jobs with pay cuts, than the whole blasted company go under and all those people lose jobs. Not that you asked, but my .02. Thanks for listening. It's nice to vent sometimes! Some of my facts may be wrong, but I am sure that Roadkill will correct them for me! :bounce:

Last edited:

roadkill

Before 9/11/01 Delta gave the Mechanics a raise based on the number of years in service. We were basically raised to match our peers in the industry, not be the highest paid. Some of our peers, who have unions, were in negotiations at the same time. After our raise, those peers were given another raise. We are now about 4th in the industry. Every year since 9/11, we have taken a pay cut in the form of benefit increases and changes. Myself, I went from paying $0 to paying $250 a month for health insurance. I know this is far less than most pay for theirs, and I'm not complaining. The pilots on the other hand, are not the whole problem with the company, but they did negotiate a contract that put them high above industry average. Now they are by far the highest paid in the industry. Every year, they get a raise, and are set to get another in Jan. (from what I have read). While other employees are taking pay cuts, the pilots are still getting their negotiated raises.

As for the full airplanes, Delta has had to lower their prices to try and compete with everone else, but they can't lower them to the level of the low cost carriers and still pay the bills.

I also have a relative that worked for Eastern, and from what he told me, I'm in the same boat as he was.

As for me I'm thinking ::gone:

Duramax

I also work for Delta. It is a scary situation that the company is in right now. I personally think it has to do with wrong decisions made by upper management and the Board of Directors. Delta as a whole is non-union. The pilots are union though. From what I know Delta is looking to regain 5 billion dollars over the next several yrs. If it doesnt work, I believe that Delta has cut back so lean that that the company will just have to fold. I dont want to see this happen, as well as many others. I just ask that we keep The employees of Delta in our prayers!

Last edited: