Depredation Hunt

Limb Hanger

Every year we get dep permits for farms up here. Landowners have a hard time getting permits up here if they allow no hunting. The DNR usually pushes them to let hunters in, then if that doesn't help they issue permits. Our problem is one farm is beside the local airport, no hunting what so ever so I have to deal with the overabundace of deer.

Go out at night shine a light and kill them as quick as possible. If you don't get the job done quick I'll bet the farmer will get frustrated and find someone else, everynight is costing him money.

All of the deer we took last year (~30) with permits were taken to a local meat cutter and donated to one of the homeless, charites.

Coastie

raghorn said:
But I stand by my earlier statement that some of the ones that complain the loudest are the ones that deny access to everyone. ::ke:

Ever heard of being caught between a rock and a hard place? That's how many of these farmers feel. Caught between having deer eat them out of house and home and the annoyance (or worse) of unethical people promising to do one thing, then forgetting the promise as soon as it is inconvenient to fulfill it. Gates left open, fences stretched and torn down, stock allowed to get out, fields torn up, signs and outbuildings shot to pieces, the list goes on and on. It is difficult for me to find fault with a farmers logic under these circumstances. Once burned twice shy is an old saying that comes to mind. Yes it may seem unfair to you to be categorized as a slob due to past indiscretions of somebody else, yet what, other than bad experiences, do most of us base negative opinions on? farmers are no different.

GAGE

GONetwork Member
Good post Trapper! :cheers:

I keep reading about "GREEDY LANDOWNERS" and I ask what is up with that? This is my land, you want access, I say no and now I am the bad guy!....This just sounds RIDICULOUS!

raghorn

GAGE said:
Good post Trapper! :cheers:

I keep reading about "GREEDY LANDOWNERS" and I ask what is up with that? This is my land, you want access, I say no and now I am the bad guy!....This just sounds RIDICULOUS!
You may not be the bad guy, but read some of these other posts about the way timber companies are jacking up prices because they know if you don't take it ,the next group will.If I was a farmer and the deer were eating my bank account,somebody would be hunting. I would be selective about who it was,but they would be hunted.If I offended you with my earlier post I apologize,but just as you know some farmers that don't fit the category, I know some that would not grant their own mother permission to hunt.I have to stand by that ,and I respect your right to stand by what you believe. Be well sir.

bull0ne

Banned
There are many farmers who have deer troubles that are renting/leasing the farming rights only and have no control over the hunting, therefore the deer must be dealt with when they are a problem during the crop year.

An isolated field can draw deer for a half mile or more, very few own enough land to have an effect over the total population around the area.

The best hunting i've ever been into was a lease next to a field where the permit allowed the farmer to take out many does but the older bucks were too smart to be taken...even with a spot light.

The buck to doe ratio had to be near 1 to 1, the only does i saw that year had 1-4 bucks following them.....awesome hunting like i'm yet to find again.