Desirable Chicken Breeds

Crickett

Little Lady
not to be a nit picking heel BUT...

a Dominique and a barred rock are two different breeds.

dominiques have a rose comb and barred rocks have single combs.

http://olddominiondominiques.weebly.com/name-the-speckled-breed.html

I prefer Dominiques because they are a heritage breed and that's the way I roll.

When I don't have dominiques, I want game fowl (mistakenly called fighting chickens by the unwashed masses) since they are more wild and can fend for themselves.

T

Yep! My Pop schooled me on that a few months ago! I didn't know the difference either.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Yep! My Pop schooled me on that a few months ago! I didn't know the difference either.

Here`s a couple of ours. Barred Rock in the forefront, Dominecker right behind her. Another Barred Rock in the upper right corner between the White Rock and the Aracuana. You can see the difference in the combs, and body shape. Domineckers seem more "squatty" built.

Attachments

• barreddom.jpg
    barreddom.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 671

Bkeepr

I've got mutt chickens! They are salmon favorelle/Welsummer/Cornish. They are great foragers but really good at hiding their eggs. I can tell when they are laying by the massive uptick in dog poots. I have some happy dogs, LOL!
I have a big goofball rooster who is watchful of his girls without being aggressive to us or the dogs. All the chickens have ear muffs and beards, and some have light feathering on their legs.

Crickett

Little Lady
Here`s a couple of ours. Barred Rock in the forefront, Dominecker right behind her. Another Barred Rock in the upper right corner between the White Rock and the Aracuana. You can see the difference in the combs, and body shape. Domineckers seem more "squatty" built.

:cheers:

I've got mutt chickens! They are salmon favorelle/Welsummer/Cornish. They are great foragers but really good at hiding their eggs. I can tell when they are laying by the massive uptick in dog poots. I have some happy dogs, LOL!
I have a big goofball rooster who is watchful of his girls without being aggressive to us or the dogs. All the chickens have ear muffs and beards, and some have light feathering on their legs.
:bounce:

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
We have production reds,(looks like a Rhode Island Red to me) and Americanas. The pro. Reds started out well with eggs, but have tapered off after two years I think this is normal and their shells have always been brittle.
The Americanas have a bluish green egg and it is not brittle and their laying has remained pretty constant.
Both are approachable with the Prod. Reds being a bit tamer. I think the Americanas are a little more gamey, their coloring and trust is anyway; however my two boys can put their hands on any of them.
The Ma in law just bought 20 or so mutt chickens, some are white, some yellow and other colors, they are skittish, and to young for laying. With around 60 chickens, we don't walk barefooted any more.
Good luck.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

I prefer Dominiques because they are a heritage breed and that's the way I roll.

When I don't have dominiques, I want game fowl (mistakenly called fighting chickens by the unwashed masses) since they are more wild and can fend for themselves.

T

You're not being a nit-picking heel. "dominecker" is just a catch-all generic tern for any barred chicken around here, Dominique is a specific breed, one-a them fancy French domineckers.:bounce: Kinda like we call every carbonated soft drink a "co-cola," or "coke," even if it's a grape Nehi. :bounce:

I agree about the games, too. the last batch of chickens I had were crossed up between generic domineckers and red games. They laid big brown eggs like the domineckers, but would pretty much live off the land themselves with very little feeding or care like the games-perfect "yard chickens." They did have a tendency to hide their nests out in the woods like game chickens, though. You'd have to listen for 'em to cackle to find their nests.

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR

T

A buddy of mine just got some game fowl (not fighting chickens :biggrin3: ) at the auction. Only one egg hatched and he said it was small. I was hoping he was going to get a better hatch because were going to do some trading. Very cool, hardy birds.

Hankus

games are fine birds, jus bout out of em myself cause of time constraints

Jeff Raines

Opened a box this morning.Easter egger was in there.Whenever I open the boxes,one of my barred rocks comes running to be petted,doesn't matter if it is occupied.:D

My 2 polish roosters make very good yard birds.Totally free range.When they do crow,it's not loud.They are a bantam size.

Attachments

• photo (40).JPG
    photo (40).JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 407
  • photo (41).JPG
    photo (41).JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 407

PappyHoel

I have a grey silkie rooster. He a very mild mannered rooster and fun to listen to. I also have a white silkie hen and she's sort of flighty but fun to watch. Like Jeff said earlier, the more you are with them the friendlier they are and some breeds are flighty. I have 2 bantam hens that won't let you get close to them. My RiR, buff orp, Australope, and barred rock are the friendliest. I even think I have a Dominic after reading the above posts.

When I come outside and they see me they all come running to me, it's kinda cool. When they are off in the woods and I don't see them I can yell chickens! And they come running.

PappyHoel

We have production reds,(looks like a Rhode Island Red to me) and Americanas. The pro. Reds started out well with eggs, but have tapered off after two years I think this is normal and their shells have always been brittle.
The Americanas have a bluish green egg and it is not brittle and their laying has remained pretty constant.
Both are approachable with the Prod. Reds being a bit tamer. I think the Americanas are a little more gamey, their coloring and trust is anyway; however my two boys can put their hands on any of them.
The Ma in law just bought 20 or so mutt chickens, some are white, some yellow and other colors, they are skittish, and to young for laying. With around 60 chickens, we don't walk barefooted any more.
Good luck.

I can attest to the barefoot walking thing.

MFOSTER

BANNED
Sex-links are the way too go if you starting with biddies that way you don't wind up with a bunch of roosters

antiqfreq

I have one buff orpington, one silver laced wyandotte and one Jersey giant.

The Jersey lays extra large light brown eggs. The wyandotte lays large light brown eggs and the orpington lays a large medium brown egg.

I only have three hens cause that is all we need. Only the orpington will let me touch her but the wyandotte talks her head off when I head towards and into the pen!

Jo

:biggrin2: