Did you plant sorghum

Ihunt

If you planted grain sorghum be on the look out for aphids. They are actually sugar cane aphids. Will make the leaves shiny and wet looking. They are very bad this year.

doomtrpr_z71

If you planted grain sorghum be on the look out for aphids. They are actually sugar cane aphids. Will make the leaves shiny and wet looking. They are very bad this year.
And I doubt anyone on here can afford to buy Transform to control them either.

Ihunt

I’ll have to look at what I sprayed for them but I sprayed yesterday. Have to spray again in 10 days.

Ihunt

Also, I bet if you bought a big jug of Permethrin from Tractor Supply and mixed it up it would get them.

TurkeyBird

Aphids have been terrible in our area for years. I've seen them sprayed and killed and within two weeks, be back just as bad as they were originally. Despite aphids and dry weather last year, i made a decent sorghum crop. The seed variety i have been using supposedly has some resistance to them.

Ihunt

This is what I sprayed. Supposed to spray again in 10 days. 2B124FCD-D227-4407-9DDE-07F5146148BC.png

Ihunt

I was advised to repeat in 10 days. Should I or should I just watch for more aphids?

Ihunt

I have managed to grow a pretty little plot of it. Don’t want to lose it.

Attachments

• DE35A240-B05C-4E0F-97DC-B8A2FF44AE0B.png
    DE35A240-B05C-4E0F-97DC-B8A2FF44AE0B.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 57

Ihunt

About 8 ozs to the acre. It called for between 7-10.

doomtrpr_z71

You could wait longer than 10 days, the rate for sugarcane aphid is 4-7 by the way, it has a supplemental label for ga. This was with a 21 day 2nd application.

1565910075399.png

TurkeyBird

What is the cost of Sivanto? This could be a big help with a 21 day residual, if it doesn't cost an arm and a leg...

davidhelmly

$315.00 a gallon

Pretty much an arm and 2 legs.
It’s like a lot of crop/food plot chemicals, the up front price is expensive but that 1 gallon will spray over 20 acs. If you only plant 1 or 2 acs per year that 1 gallon will last you a long time and you don’t want to lose a plot that you’ve got time and money invested in.

doomtrpr_z71

Plus its a newer chemistry, centric would be cheaper if you could find it but its more of a midsouth chemical. Transform is cheaper per treatment but you can't get it in small amounts. Imidacloprid would be the cheapest control but it doesn't work as well as transform or sivanto.

Ihunt

It’s like a lot of crop/food plot chemicals, the up front price is expensive but that 1 gallon will spray over 20 acs. If you only plant 1 or 2 acs per year that 1 gallon will last you a long time and you don’t want to lose a plot that you’ve got time and money invested in.

Yes sir. I often wonder if I should just pay a beef farmer to let me “sneak” up on a big juicy black angus and whack it. Would be so much cheaper in the long run

davidhelmly

Yes sir. I often wonder if I should just pay a beef farmer to let me “sneak” up on a big juicy black angus and whack it. Would be so much cheaper in the long run
It would for sure but cheaper but wouldn’t be nearly as fun!!

TurkeyBird

$315.00 a gallon

Pretty much an arm and 2 legs.

Lol! That's what i figured. It would definitely be worth that if I could get a few years out of it, but a gallon wouldn't last the summer. I will ride it out and hope for some rain. The seed variety i planted has some resistance to them, and despite their best efforts last year, they didn't kill any. Between the heat and dry weather, not sure i will fair as well this go round.