Difficulty finding Black Powder

Sharps4590

Hi all,
I am having difficulty finding any dealer or gun shop that stocks black powder. Does anyone know of a shop in GA that sell actual black powder. Have never tried new replacement powders in my percussion Sharps.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Bass Pro in Macon carries it. It won`t be on the shelf. You have to ask for it.

Darkhorse

I order mine online and have it shipped to my door.

georgia_home

If you're talking about real BP like goex, NOT a substitute, t7, bh209, etc, I'd appreciate if you could send me info on your source.

can't finding it locally. Thanks.

I order mine online and have it shipped to my door.

Sharps4590

Looks like online or a trip to Macon. I called Cabelas in Acworth and at first the clerk didn’t know what I was asking and then asked some else who said “no”. I will call Bass Pro in Duluth tomorrow. Having same proplems getting musket caps. Thanks for your help!

SASS249

Deercreek gunshop at 280 S. Fairground St. in Marietta. Family owned and pretty much have anything needed for muzzleloaders, including real black powder

pdsniper

Try the Blackhorn 209 in that Sharps that all I shoot in my Sharps now, out shot my Swiss powder, I ordered it from Bass pro had it delivered to the store picked it up there no shipping charge or haz mat charge

Darkhorse

If you're talking about real BP like goex, NOT a substitute, t7, bh209, etc, I'd appreciate if you could send me info on your source.

can't finding it locally. Thanks.

Yes, I'm talking real Black powder. Goex black powder is all I shoot. When deciding on a supplier read the website closely, some will ship 5 pounds, some only 25 pounds. Some allow you to mix powders in your order and some don't. And really check the price as I've seen some selling a can of powder for $30.
This place looks good price per can is $18.70 https://www.buffaloarms.com/black-powder-info
I can't find the people I bought mine from. But it's been a long time ago. I bought 50 pounds and it takes awhile for one shooter to burn it all up. Go online and search for blackpowder for sale and browse the results.

Sharps4590

Will stop by Deercreek tomorrow. Will also consider Blackhorn. Having trouble with ignition on black powder equivelents. Hoping to convert musket nipple to 209 primers.

Last edited:

leoparddog

Go to Deercreek and be done with it. Price will be about $30 per pound and they will have Goex 2F, 3F and maybe 4F in stock.

frankwright

Blackhorn will only work reliably in an inline muzzleloader and then sometimes only after changing or modifying the breech plug.

Sharps4590

Stopped by Deercreek today and yes, they DO stock true black powder. Also stock CCI 4 leaf musket caps. They are getting hard to find as well. Prices not bad either. Thanks for the help!!!

Sharps4590

Has anyone replaced the musket nipple with a mag-spark that has a cap with a firing pin so you can use 209 primers? The mag-spark is on the right and nipple on the left. This mag-spark is not the replacement for nipple shown.
9DEB4605-A14F-43B7-BF46-90A78152AE82.jpeg

Last edited:

Muldoon

Powder Inc.

Deliver to your door! Buy a case and be done with it....for a while!

trial&error

True black powder has to be stored in a magazine. It will not be on the shelf. If you go to Bass Pro (macon) You will have to insist that it is stored in the back in the magazine, and find the one employee who understands what you are saying.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
How is everyone storing black powder at home? If it has to be stored in a magazine I surely am not doing it correctly. Mine is stored in double water tight plastic containers in my gun safe.
Jeff

Muldoon

Ain't nobody AT HOME got a 'MAGAZINE'! It has to be stored in a so-called MAGAZINE at a commercial sales facility! You can store it UNDER YOUR BED at home if you so choose!! Lord help 'em! They just don't like to read!!

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Just wondering. Thanks.

JackSprat

Ain't nobody AT HOME got a 'MAGAZINE'! It has to be stored in a so-called MAGAZINE at a commercial sales facility! You can store it UNDER YOUR BED at home if you so choose!! Lord help 'em! They just don't like to read!!

Maybe, maybe not.

If you have over a certain amount, even at home, it must be stored in a "magazine" (which can be nothing more than a plywood cabinet in some circumstance).

How and how much you can store is covered in the local fire code, usually by incorporation of a national fire code, and can be difficult to dig out - which is why I'm not doing it.

National Fire Code also covers transportation of smokeless powder, and I regularly see people leave the club after a "big buy" with more smokeless in their car than the law allows.

It may seem like a non-event to you, until you find out you have voided your insurance on your home or automobile.