Dirty Job

Woody

Founder - Gone but not forgotten.
It's a dirty job -- but about once each year, we attempt it. :bounce:

Some of you may remember last season when I posted what we found inside a Coyote at the shop? --- It was during Bow Season and we decided to check one out.

Inside was --- 3 different size Turkey Feet --- a 20 square inch piece of whitetail deer skin (Fawn) --- and about nine inches of 1/4 inch nylon rope that had been gnawed into on both ends. Evidently someone had their Dog tied out and the Yote killed it and took off with it. -- Embedded in one end of the rope was long, solid black hairs which I assume belonged to the Dog since the Yote was a blond color.

This past Saturday we had people bring a couple by for mounting and Sonny decided to check them out :whip:

The first was a medium size female --- she was packed full (and I mean full) of ripe persimmons. -- Nothing else.

The second was a whopper male and you could tell he hadn't missed any meals.:D --- inside him was large chunks of red meat (total of 3 pounds 4 ounces) --- a six inch piece of a deer's esophagus ---- and a piece of deer skin totalling 28 square inches. ------ These items were from an adult deer.

I'm posting this to remind people how smart Coyotes are. -- It doesn't take them but a few days to realize a feeder location is perfect for an ambush point. -- You might want to keep this in mind especially if you begin to notice an absence of fawns around your property?

Well -- dinner's ready -- gotta go eat! :D

Toliver

I missed a BEAUTIFUL coyote last Monday. I had to shoot left handed and didn't do a very good job. He would have made a nice mount. Which brings me to a question. My wife wants to just tan a hide and I want a full body mount. What's your prices on these?

GeauxLSU

Very interesting stuff Woody. Better you guys than me! :speechles
By the way, just curious, what did those animals weigh?
Thanks.
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

Woody

Toliver --- we don't do any soft tanning and price for a mount can vary depending on options you choose.

Phil -- I would say the male was 60 plus? -- Female around 40.

HuntinTom

Retired Moderator
Yuck...

Sounds like those yotes are doing a number on some deer... I shot one behind the house last week -- But I didn't check his stomach :)

GeauxLSU

Woody said:
Phil -- I would say the male was 60 plus? -- Female around 40.
:eek: I KNEW it! Read somewhere they 'max out' around 35#s and the male I shot last year was definitely more than that. I knew they got bigger but SIXTY pounds?!?!?! :eek: I guess a few of them could put a hurtin' on an adult deer. :shoot:
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
Man, I'm glad I finished dinner before reading this... :bounce:

All I can say is you guys have a stronger stomach than I do... :D

Woody, I had heard that a body could soak strips of a sponge with bacon drippings and that when a yote would find it and eat it the sponge would block their intestines and they would die. This doesn't sound quite true or possible to me now, though I understand most of the stuff you mentioned may be digestable where the foam rubber sponge may not be. What do you think?

Woody

Phil --- I'm guessing on the weight but I can assure you they don't max out at 35.

A friend of mine had a full grown cow attacked by a group (4) of Yotes. --- He shot two of them off her but had to put her down anyway. -- They had cut both her hamstrings.

Those two he shot were as big or bigger than the one I mentioned.

I'm just glad they don't like the taste of old - fat - men? :shoot:

Woody

Nut ------ you speak the truth.

Toliver

Woody, you're just like my wife. I ask a question and get, "well it depends". Where's the 'sarcastic, one eyebrow raised, disgusted look' smiley when you need it?

:D

letsgohuntin

:shoot:
huntnnut said:
Woody, I had heard that a body could soak strips of a sponge with bacon drippings and that when a yote would find it and eat it the sponge would block their intestines and they would die.

Carefull with that stuff... some plantation owners down here got into a heap of trouble when they put out poisioned eggs to kill predators and protect the Quail populations, they ended up killing some birds of prey ( eagles or hawks I think ) Im sure that would be considered unlawful along those same lines... besides that would be a long painful death with much suffering ...
just stick with shooting them if you like !! :shoot:

Nitro

Banned
I killed a big Male 'Yote in Monroe County Friday evening.

He weighed 43 pounds on our camp scale.

Less the pound or two the 139 grain SST from my 7 Rem Mag knocked out of him..... :bounce:

I shoot everyone I see, no matter the circumstance.

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
letsgohuntin said:
:shoot:

Carefull with that stuff... some plantation owners down here got into a heap of trouble when they put out poisioned eggs to kill predators and protect the Quail populations, they ended up killing some birds of prey ( eagles or hawks I think ) Im sure that would be considered unlawful along those same lines... besides that would be a long painful death with much suffering ...
just stick with shooting them if you like !! :shoot:

I'm familiar with the incident you're speaking of and also of the other big bird kill up this way from poison. Using poison to kill yotes is a little different in my opinion, though I didn't mean to imply in any way that I was going to use the sponges.

Toliver

Maybe soaking contraceptive sponges in bacon grease so they can't breed would work?

Duff

Yotes would be hard to kill out, thats for sure. I shot one a few yrs ago w/my bow while he ate persimmons. Saw one last year eating dry corn in a field we had just bushhog. Also last year, a pack of 6-8 downed one of our neighbor's cows(calf) in our bottom. :shoot: :shoot:

leoparddog

As much as I'd like to poison the yotes, it is illegal and if someone's dog ate the stuff and made it back home before it died, a police officer may come visiting your camp.

I heard of this happening somewhere and a lot of folk's dogs were dieing and the police were looking for the perpetrators.

They can be legally live trapped. We let a trapper trap our land after deer season and he gets around a dozen a year. Believe it or not, he sells them to fox hunters who chase them with dogs and hopefully kill them when they are done.

I guess there aint enough foxes around to chase with dogs anymore.

This is in N. Talbot County. If'n you would like me to get you in touch with this trappper, who I think is head of some GA trapping group, let me know and I'll try.

Ga-Spur

I don't think you can get one to go into a live trap. You may catch him with a leg hold trap. You know that treble hook with the chicken breast deal don't look so bad after you see one taking down a cow does it. If you have a new plowed field put a railrod crosstie in the middle of the field and surround it with leg hold traps attached to the crosstie.Don't use any bait. They go out to check out the crosstie for some reason. You may catch the whole pack at the same time. Be sure and wear rubber boots and gloves and use a piece of rubber to knell down on when you are dusting your traps.