DIY Decoys

Chewbaka81

The season isover. I’ve made all my buddies new duck totes and call lanyards so now I’m looking for a project to piddle with. I’ve been looking at the foam decoys from homers or Dixie that you paint yourself. I was also looking at making some divers out of crab pot buoys. Anyone have any experience with doing any of these things? I know it’s a learn as you go thing just looking for some advice from those who’ve tried it. Thx.

The season isover. I’ve made all my buddies new duck totes and call lanyards so now I’m looking for a project to piddle with. I’ve been looking at the foam decoys from homers or Dixie that you paint yourself. I was also looking at making some divers out of crab pot buoys. Anyone have any experience with doing any of these things? I know it’s a learn as you go thing just looking for some advice from those who’ve tried it. Thx.

you need towork on the duck hole

across the river

Don't just paint foam. The paint won't hold up and you nick, ding, and beat up the styrofoam pretty bad. The cheapest and easier route is to cover it with burlap mastic (cheaper). You can then paint it and will hold up well. If you really want a hard, tough decoy, you can use epoxy resin and fiberglass cloth(more expensive). If you want to go all out you can dye the epoxy resin before applying it, and you don't have to worry about the color coming off, ever. Don't use the fiberglass/polystyrene resin, as it will melt the styrofoam. I've done a few, so if you have any other questions shoot me a PM.

rnelson5

If you are bored and looking for something to do make you some decoys. If you want to save some time buy the homers and paint them. I have a few dozen and they are great decoys with good size. They are a little bigger than the old Herter 72s if you are familiar.