DNR Stiper Stocking Program

Wheeler2

Took the kids tubing today on North Lanier. Actually many would call it the Hooch or Clarkes Bridge. We had a pleasant surprise when we got back to the dock. The DNR had the stock truck backed down to the water. Come to find out they were putting in 168,000 Striper minnows (most less than a half inch long). It was a very cool experience to get to talk to these guys. They were also very educational and interacted with the three kids I had with me. They had my son and daughter release a couple of buckets full which was really cool for them. As always, I asked a lot of questions and they were very helpful and informative. A big shout out to the DNR.

I have read a lot of articles about the Striper population on Lanier. Much of which has been negative. From what I gather it is a matter of money. I got the impression that they would put in as many Stripers as the lake could hold but they simply do not have the resources.

I also got to meet Alex (Ahab) who was there taking pictures with his little girl. Great day on the water.

Last edited:

spkoli

It's why they need to raise the prices of fishing licenses.

riprap

Nice experience for your kids.

I wish they had stocked some native fish like the largemouth.

Wheeler2

One of the DNR officials told me that the data they have taken shows that the population of Striper is healthy and we should see more productive fishing (more fish and larger fish) in the upcoming years. If I understood them correctly the 2013 class is healthy.

Also, I don't know why you would or wouldn't want more largemouths in the lake. All I know is that a 4 pound spot can put up a better fight than any other fish in that same weight range. I'm kind of hooked on fishing for Stripes but I don't complain when I hook up with a good spot. Really an amazing fish in my opinion. From what I've read we may have one of the healthiest populations of Spots in the southeast.

NCummins

A 4lb spot is a trip maker for me. Especially if I get lucky enough to hook one on a medium action spinning reel.

Kenny Cowan

Thanks for the share Wheeler, glad your kids got to participate!... Thanks Georgia, DNR for the hard work you guys do, keep up the good work!

riprap

I like catching spots just as much as largemouth...I just wish they would stock some more native fish. I have to pay extra money for a trout stamp, but they are stocking stripers and they are covered under a regular license.

Ahab

It was great meeting you, Wheeler. The kids all looked like they had a great time. Was really nice of them to let the kids release the first bucket full of fingerlings. Look forward to linking up and going after some linesides with ya.

Coenen

I like catching spots just as much as largemouth...I just wish they would stock some more native fish. I have to pay extra money for a trout stamp, but they are stocking stripers and they are covered under a regular license.
Native fish, such as?

Coenen

I got the impression that stocking largemouth in 'Toona is more of a pilot program. If that program succeeds, then maybe we'll see further re-introduction efforts in other lakes. With the way the spots seem to push them out though, I sort of doubt we'll see extensive stocking of largemouth.