Do Deer Eat Trophy Radishes

SnapperG

I was told they won't start eating the greens until after the first frost...somthing about the frost bring the sugars out of the ground and up into the greens. :huh:

droptine06

Official Supper Thread Starter
I was told they won't start eating the greens until after the first frost...somthing about the frost bring the sugars out of the ground and up into the greens. :huh:

The radishes do not need a frost. That's the benefit of planting them along with rape/turnips. They hammer the radishes, then a good frost and they switch to the rape and turnips which do need a frost to sweeten.

droptine06

Anyone know where I can get some Trophy Radishes in Hancock County......

Cobb and Cobb Seed Co. in Davisboro, Washington County has them. Not sure how much growth you would get out of them this late though. Probably better off planting wheat. You can contact them at (478)-348-4931. Good people and best prices I have found around that area.

SnapperG

The radishes do not need a frost. That's the benefit of planting them along with rape/turnips. They hammer the radishes, then a good frost and they switch to the rape and turnips which do need a frost to sweeten.

I was wondering if that guy at southern states knew what he was talking about...

Hunt&Fish

Radishes Update

We planted some Trophy Radishes in a couple of food plots in South Georgia. They look great--lots of forage and some of the radishes are 2 " in diameter and a foot long.
The deer have not touched them as far as I can tell. Does frost have to sweeten them before deer get after them?

Deer have started eating tops in one plot.
Hogs are pulling them up in another.
We top dressed them with ammonium nitrate a week ago.

droptine06

I watched a fork horn, a doe and her two yearlins feed on em for about 30mins Sunday mornin. They were pulling the entire plant and root out of the ground and eating them.

Jeff Phillips

We pulled a couple this weekend. The roots were over a foot long! We washed em and let everyone have a taste.

Surprise, they taste like radishes;)