Do Deer Eat Trophy Radishes

Hunt&Fish

We planted some Trophy Radishes in a couple of food plots in South Georgia. They look great--lots of forage and some of the radishes are 2 " in diameter and a foot long.
The deer have not touched them as far as I can tell. Does frost have to sweeten them before deer get after them?

stev

Banned
We planted some Trophy Radishes in a couple of food plots in South Georgia. They look great--lots of forage and some of the radishes are 2 " in diameter and a foot long.
The deer have not touched them as far as I can tell. Does frost have to sweeten them before deer get after them?
They are good in a salad too .try it u will like them.

Jhunt

Banned
They are wearing them out in north Georgia. My cousin in Berrien County says they are destroying them down there.

stev

Banned
Are they eatin the green or the radish itself ?

tbrown913

i think it is kinda a preference to the deer in a given area.

about five years ago, we did an "experiment" on our land with different foods in the plots. we found that if we plant iron clays in moist soil three weeks before season, we wont have any peas left to hunt over, while the austrailen winter peas will grow and sprout and repel every deer.

SakoL61R

Planted some TR's for the first time in my plots a month ago in Screven County. They haven't touched the greens. Might be something they have to get used to. As said above, the roots have not developed, but the greens are 6 inches or so.
I'm looking forward to eating a few radishes later this year, though.

Hut2

i think it is kinda a preference to the deer in a given area.

about five years ago, we did an "experiment" on our land with different foods in the plots. we found that if we plant iron clays in moist soil three weeks before season, we wont have any peas left to hunt over, while the austrailen winter peas will grow and sprout and repel every deer.

That's the same results we've had. In two different co's in Ga. But, other folks have good results with australian winter peas,we've had none.

droptine06

Official Supper Thread Starter
We as well have never had any luck with AW peas. We planted approx. 8 acres of Trophy Radish. They haven't really touched em until the last week and they are startin' to hit em. I think it's partially preference, partially the deer trying them and realizing they like them and in our area we have had a bumper crop of acorns. They acorns are startin to thin out and the natural browse as well. It's just a matter of time.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
same as with any turnips or rape type product. once they get around to them they usually hammer them. they have just started nipping ours in heard county

Phillip Thurmond

planted them for the 1st time this year and it took a while for the deer to figure out what they were but now they are eating them to the ground! Give it some time.

Jeff Phillips

We planted 5# mixed with wheat on 2 test plots, both plots are in hard clay.

The radishes are getting mowed!

Buck Breath

I planted 5 lbs, on a half acre of scarce rye. Planted almost two weeks ago, but we just had the first rain since on Wednesday. Hope I'm not too late. I am in south ga, so it will probably be plenty to time for them to get established before the first frost. I must say I am excited about giving them a try. Heard they plant in almost any type soil.

jmharris23

They're mowing mine down as well!

Deer Tic

We have 2 plots in Turner Co. that are about a month old. As of last weekend there was no clear evidence they've been eating them. However, these are 1st year food plots. I think they'll catch on sooner or later. We tried some Sweet Spot with the same result so far.

Jhunt

Banned
Anyone know where I can get some Trophy Radishes in Hancock County......

Check their website. One thing we found is there are some dealers that are selling a copycat variety under the name of Trophy Radishes. They are a trademarked variety so that is against the law. So, be careful. There is a dealer in Hancock County that is doing that.