Do Timber Company's lease land in Georgia ?

swamp hunter

Bigger Leases , Say 10,000 acres or more ?
Are there a fair amount of them ? Are they reasonably priced ?
I've never checked Georgia Leases.
I can see a lot of the Deer Camp Drama seems to come from small leases where half the folks are hunting the neighbors Property Line , Or Bo's 4 screaming kids running around , Or Personal Areas....Or other Members hunting your stands..Plots , Feeders ect.
Ya'll need to Spread out. Sounds like you got too little room and too many folks. Just like your Neighbor hood at home.
I go to camp to see just a few Folks , Relax , and have a good time.
Listen to the Hoot Owls , Cayots howling every now and then , Cold Starry nights , Not Big Cindy talking on her cell phone or Bo's kids slamming the door of the Camper. Or Larry and his Klik trying to outhunt me...just sayin.

Longhorn 16

They only lease to in state hunters. Something to do with collections across state lines. Also some babble about fishing rights being reciprocal.

swamp hunter

Oh ' I'm not looking to Lease in Georgia . Got 93 Thousand acres in N. Fla.
I'm not leaving..

sleepr71

Hard..HARD to find that much land in GA. Not in any single tract anyway. Other than National Forest land..I’d say there’s not much chance other than in South Ga on pine tree farms (aka timber lands). Biggest one I’ve ever been in was 7,000+ acres in mid-ga.

Jim Boyd

100 square miles would be 64,000 (corrected - thanks, guys!) acres.

To put it another way, 93,000 acres would be 145.3 square miles.

I would be stunned to find available ground of that size in GA.

Last edited:

Jim Boyd

Swamp

93k in north Florida?

What county(s), please?

Thought u were down around Collier / Okeechobee county.

Early Riser1

Slight correction needed Jim. You are correct. 93,000 acres is 145 square miles, but 100 acres is only 64,000 miles. Your post had one too many zeros. I think your point was probably that 93,000 acres is more than 100 square miles. Swamp Walker’s lease in Taylor County, Florida.

Core Lokt

His lease is over in Taylor Co.

Is it public land swamp? If private how many members and how much of the land can you hunt for what you pay?

Yes, timber Co's lease land in Ga. Years ago before hunting got popular leases would be 13K ac or so. Now that they bring money 1-2K ac is about what you get.

Jim Boyd

Slight correction needed Jim. You are correct. 93,000 acres is 145 square miles, but 100 acres is only 64,000 miles. Your post had one too many zeros. I think your point was probably that 93,000 acres is more than 100 square miles. Swamp Walker’s lease in Taylor County, Florida.

Oops, right you are!!!!

Many thanks and I stand corrected.

ProAngler

Size of the the lease does not matter, it’s how many hunters you have on it. The largest leases I have seen also had the highest hunters per acre rates. I’m sure they have others where you pay more and get more land per person as well on thousands of acres. You get what you pay for either way. I believe most decent hunting land is around 15 an acre, anyway you want to slice it up.

swamp hunter

425 Members / 93 Thousand Acres.
Don't Timber companys have large land holdings in Georgia ?
Can't you lease out big blocks of their land ?
Seems like everybody in Georgia hunts little areas , lot's of little areas.
Is there an Average size Lease in Georgia ?
Their's 23 Thousand acres way down south here for 9 thousand a Member a year. I'm not on it cause it's way above my pay grade but it shows we have Big Leases.
I hunt 35 miles South of Valdosta in Florida. $ 1,500 a year or so.
Ya'll need to spread out some....

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
I own a 5 acre tract that I kill deer on every year. $ 9000.00 is for them richy rich snow bird ::ke::bounce::rofl:furida folks.

Elkbane

Yes, they have large holdings, but it's a collection of smaller tracts. And most of it is leased for hunting.

The land ownership pattern are different in GA than they are in Florida. Much of the land along the Savannah River corridor were headright lands doled out (deeds created) when GA became a colony. Much of the rest of the state was deeded through land lotteries 218 acres at a time using metes and bounds legal descriptions. In order for there to be sizable tracts, somebody had to accumulate multiple of those original parcels. Some timber companies did this, but mainly in SE GA in the flatwoods, where timber was the only economic land use. Having managed industrial timberlands for a living, the largest contiguous holding I know about in central GA was around 34k acres in Worth County, and it had many in-holdings. The Oakey woods tract near Warner Robbins had 20k acres and was contiguous. In Central GA, a 4k tract is a large tract.

In FL, I can't recall how the land was originally deeded out (I knew it once!), but the land is described by section township and range - i.e. laid out in square mile grids. The 93k acres referenced is part of the old Buckeye holdings and was accumulated by 3 large lumber companies, then sold to Buckeye - a P&G subsidiary - in the late 40's and early 50's right before they built a paper mill in 1952. It was once part of one of the largest contguous landholdings in the US. Buckey once had 1.1MM contiguous acres surrounding Perry FL and another 200k acres near Carabelle. That property has been whittled down to about 650k acres, St. Joe had other similar holdings in the Panhandle, but it has been highly parallelized as well.
Elkbane

swamp hunter

Thanks Elkbane..
You should teach history.