Do you forgo hunting to watch college football?

JSnake

Useless Billy Bouncer
DVR; actively doing and participating in something you enjoy should trump passively watching other folks do something they (hopefully) enjoy.

Love the dawgs but I’ve found the older I get the less and less I get wrapped up in sports, particularly football.

spring

If it’s a big game, I’ll be in Athens or on the road, otherwise I’ll be watching live on TV unless it’s a blowout or a weak opponent. Then I’ll watch some and record the balance so I can pick it back up once I get off the stand.

With most college football teams playing their games on Saturday afternoon/evening, do you stay home to watch your favorite team or games, and not go hunting?
You could go deer hunting, or watch college football, which do you do?
I’ve gone hunting and recorded games to watch after the hunt many times. You just can’t answer your phone or look at texts.... your buddies will ruin it every time!

Bubba_1122

I spent 8 years as part of my local college D2 football team (through FCA). Went to every game but 1 (98 of them including 48 games away. The one game I missed I had a stomach virus). Rode the buses with the team (often 12 to 15 hour trips each way). Trips often left on Thursday and get back on Sunday morning after riding the buses all night. Often would leave wherever we'd played at midnight to ride back to south Georgia. Would take a couple of days to get body rested and back on a normal schedule. Ate in a lot of Golden Corrals (ugh). Spent a lot of Saturday mornings sitting around hotels waiting on the pre-game routine to trigger. Home games would involve being with the team pretty much Friday night through Sunday night. Some of the most enjoyable days of my life just because of the quality of the folks I was with, the magnitude of the opportunity and the quality of the experience of being part of a team.

Been out of it for 3 years now (for the most part). I miss the heck out of it, but sure have enjoyed sitting in a deer stand on Saturday mornings and then going to the stadium an hour before game time or watching my team online (I often spend my time in the deer stand on Friday afternoon and Saturday morning texting guys that have moved on from our little D2 school and are now coaching at similar or bigger schools across the country).

Last edited:
No I will not watch football and not go hunting. I will record the game and watch it later.

Souhternhunter17

I definitely stay home and watch the Dawgs when they are playing an SEC opponent. If they are playing a no name team I'll go hunt. I know I have missed some quality hunts to watch the Dawgs but I don't regret it. I graduated with my bachelors and masters from UGA and when you are/were a student of UGA it just makes the games that much more important.

killabig1

I figured this topic would generate interest (I'm the OP)
It seems most folk fall into one of three categories:
Don't like sports, not watching.
Love my team, wouldn't miss a game.
Watch some games, depending on situation.

I fall in the last category, I'll miss an afternoon hunt for a good game, I can hunt another time. But for an uncompetitive game, I'll go to the woods.

BTW, I won't be in the woods during the UGA-Notre Dame game.

buckpasser

I wish there were more option 2 and 3 members out there. Especially 2!

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
I got the senior citizen discount on unlimited phone data now. Xfinity stream app. I never have to miss anything. lol. Well maybe a deer walking by if my nose is watching the game. The good games usually start at dark anyway. Or we record it mostly. If the weather is bad I'll choose football on rare occasion.

joemiehe

We’re not still talking about Herschel walker are we
Exactly!!! It amazes me that delusional Dawg fans still get upset when Georgia chokes (which is every season). That'd be like staying with a woman after she's cheated on you 10 times and then getting upset when she does it again!!! Doesn't make a lick of sense. I have guys at my club that will stay in to watch The Georgia Chihuahuas during the rut!!! Get real.

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
Exactly!!! It amazes me that delusional Dawg fans still get upset when Georgia chokes (which is every season). That'd be like staying with a woman after she's cheated on you 10 times and then getting upset when she does it again!!! Doesn't make a lick of sense. I have guys at my club that will stay in to watch The Georgia Chihuahuas during the rut!!! Get real.
Says the person delusionally living in Athens, Ga.? hahaha I laughed when I saw Athens pop up over your name. Thats like marrying your cheating gf. :rofl: