Do you know what this is ???

Woody's Janitor

It's in old English!

1 [....]g fæder, þu þe on heofonum eardast,
2 geweorðad wuldres dreame. Sy þinum weorcum halgad
3 noma niþþa bearnum; þu eart nergend wera.
4 Cyme þin rice wide, ond þin rædfæst willa
5 aræred under rodores hrofe, eac þon on rumre foldan.
6 Syle us to dæge domfæstne blæd,
7 hlaf userne, helpend wera,
8 þone singalan, soðfæst meotod.
9 Ne læt usic costunga cnyssan to swiðe,
10 ac þu us freodom gief, folca waldend,
11 from yfla gewham, a to widan feore

Al33

OK Teddy, lest I need to remind you,

RULE # 1:

1. Since our Users are predominately English speaking --- any posts using a language other than English must include a full and complete English translation.

Of course I do not know what that it. ::huh: :D :bounce:

Huntin' Tom, I think a :whip: is in order here. :rolleyes:

Al

Woody's Janitor

Al, it's English!!! And you should say it everyday!!!

Al33

Maybe it is English Teddy,

but i ain't never learnt nothin' like that in my English classes, and I took some of them twice. ::huh: :bounce:

Iffen I was to try readin' that outloud, my coworkers would be calling for the guys in the white uniforms to come and get me. :bounce:

Al

Woody's Janitor

Just think, my first half of the semester in English Lit. was studying old works written in the old English. It was horrible trying to read and understand that garbage. ::huh:

leadoff

GONetwork Member
Definitely Old English. Lord's Prayer, maybe?

Woody's Janitor

It is indeed the Lord's Prayer!!!! :clap: For an anglish( :bounce: ) teacher, you should know it!!!

leadoff

GONetwork Member
I have read a few Old English texts, but they were the "footnote" versions. (Beowulf and The Wanderer, I believe.) I have read some texts in the original Middle English, which is much easier! I feel your pain, WJ! What class are (or were) you taking?

Al33

Dog gone it Leadoff,

how am I sposed to pay attention to what you're postin' when I can't stop lookin' at your avatar? :confused: ;)

leadoff

GONetwork Member
Al33 said:
how am I sposed to pay attention to what you're postin' when I can't stop lookin' at your avatar? :confused: ;)

Sorry, Al! Hopefully, I will be changing it later on this deer season! ;) :)

Woody's Janitor

leadoff, I'm taking English Lit. at Toccoa Falls College from a Professor that has an ego bigger than the World Wrestling Stars!!!
Beowulf, Canterbury Tales (The Miller's Tale was funny), Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, Dream of a Rood and Caedmon's Hymn just to name a few.

hpurvis

Gone But Not Forgotten
I knew my old english was bad, but I didn't think it was that bad. :bounce: :bounce: I see now why I flunked English.