Do you remember what you were doing 18 years ago today?

Thread starter #1

Horns

I was at work and the radio was talking about a plane hitting the first tower. I had a meeting with the local industries at 9:30 and during it, the second tower was hit. We knew then that the USA was under attack. I will never forget it

In training to be a freight terminal manager in Spartanburg, SC. I was working on OS&D (Over, Short, and Damaged) freight invoices when the news came in.

Called by my Mom to wake up and turn the news on. I was at home between assignments sleeping late.

Turpentine

Yep. I was in the 5th grade. Just got done showing the science cLass how to make 11 tooth pics out of 10 without breaking any of them. Just sat down in reading class to take a nap when they turned the TV on. Alot of the adults we're crying. People running in and out of rooms.

I had just walked out of the pistol range at the Rockford, IL Police Department and a patrol officer asked me if I knew what was happening in New York. With my negative answer, he opened the door of his patrol car and turned up the radio (on a local FM station) and we both heard the repeated and confused early reports about a tragic aircraft collision with one of the towers of the WTC. I went to my car and on the way to my office called my wife - who didn't know about it yet. My wife had several friends who worked in the Towers. Some of them were already at work that morning. A few of them got out.

I watched on live TV, with my whole staff gathered around, as the second plane crashed into the other tower.

JB0704

Dove Hunter
On Spaghetti junction, 285E ramp to 85N. Co-worker called me on the nex-tell (remember those) and told me to turn on the radio.

Robert28

I didn’t find out it had happened until about an hour after the second plane hit. I was at ABAC at the time and walked in my room to see my roommate and several other guys I knew sitting around watching the news. That was weird but then they told me what happened. You couldn’t call home because they cut cell phone reception for some reason.

Cmp1

Swamp Yankee OABA Recipient
Taking a break at a gas station,,,,grabbed an ice tea,,,,watched it on TV in the gas station,,,,

Thread starter #14

Horns

Gotta be one of the saddest days of my life.
Yes sir. I also remember being in elementary school (3rd or 4th grade) when we were watching the Challenger go into space because the school teacher was part of the crew and it blew up. We didn’t understand that everyone was dead

Cmp1

Swamp Yankee OABA Recipient
Yes sir. I also remember being in elementary school (3rd or 4th grade) when we were watching the Challenger go into space because the school teacher was part of the crew and it blew up. We didn’t understand that everyone was dead
Watched it from Tampa,,,,

I was just over my one year mark in the Navy. I was an Aviation Technicians Mate on Tomcats, so was at home sleeping. Phone ringing incessantly for about 10 minutes straight. Frustrated, I finally got up to answer it and it was my roommate (he worked day shift) telling me to turn on the TV. I thought I was dreaming, actually honest to God thought I was in a terrible dream when I saw what was happening.

Holy moly, I saw it too! I grew up in South FL and I remember leaving the trailers to go see the launch. I don't remember how my 7 or 8 year old mind processed it. I do remember my teacher crying though, and that got us all upset.

4HAND

Working patrol, training a new guy. Heard about from my Major (at the time).
We went to the EOC & watched it on the news. We were watching when the 2nd plane hit.

PopPop

In the office, lining up the day when secretary (executive administrator) screamed, she was listening to WSB. We went to a local sports bar and watched it all on a big screen.
Wife called, hysterical, said you're going to go back, aren't you? No dear, I would if I could but no I am not going back.
I had murder in my heart that day, it has never really gone away. The jumpers took me right to the edge.

Thread starter #20

Horns

I also remember that the media was saying a plane had struck the tower. At the time, they didn’t know it was a passenger jet. I saw the second jet as well. Horrific. And the scenes with people jumping. Dang