Do you remember what you were doing 18 years ago today?

I was at work when the machine operator next door started hollering. The second plane had just hit. I even remember what part I was machining at the time.

When I got home and saw the people jumping. I just started crying.

PopPop
Later that evening I was brooding. My wife looked at me and told me. If you have too, join back up. At the time I justified not going back with my age and bum knee. Sometimes I regret not going.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN MOD
Staff member
I had packed my bag and kit to head out on couple weeks of international air freight flying the next day. I was like many and just watching the morning news when the networks broke in with live feed. Later that night I got a call from the company that we were grounded until the airspace reopened and no one knew when that would be. I sat at home watching it all unfold, angry for so many reasons.

killerv

I had just gotten out of a college course, got in the truck and hear about the first tower on the radio. My grandparents lived a couple miles away and went by their house and caught the 2nd tower being hit on tv.

I remember watching the Challenger explosion in a 1st grade classroom.

It was (still is) my birthday. I had worked night shift, been asleep less that 30mins when my wife (girlfriend at the time) called and told me happy birthday, but you need to get up and turn on the TV. Saw the second plane hit. I knew right then my first two years in the military were a breeze, but my last two were not going to be.

drhunter1

I was in my car in the Dunkin Donuts parking lot on Jimmy Carter Blvd. I had just bought a dozen donuts for a client. I was in shock.

Saddest day for sure. Beautiful day in NY and here in GA. Remember it being comfortable and clear as a bell. At work and heard the first rumblings about a plane hitting a skyscraper on local rock station. Continuous bad news rest of the day as the station turned over to national coverage. Never saw video till I got home. Strange ride home, I looked at folks and everyone calm but sad and worried. Hit me as my 2nd grader ask her dad from top of stairs” daddy did you hear what happened today?” I sucked it up and went into dad mode to reassure her we live in greatest country and everything gonna be ok.
God Bless George Bush and what he did during that time.

I had just walked into our office at our Tractor business. We had just buried our oldest son a month before, my wife called to tell me to turn on the TV and what was going on.

I remember being so mad that day because of what those "rag heads" had done, but at the same time, still mourning the loss of my son, not really caring.

I was in Junior English watching live as the second plane hit. Watched both towers go down. Our teacher thought it was very important for us to see it, something you don't see in schools anymore. A day i'll never forget, feeling sad and angry all at the same time. How anybody could have that much hate in the heart is beyond me.

I was in an economics class at the local college and another professor came in and pulled ours outside. He then walked back in and released the class early, told us to go home and turn on the TV. I was at my family's shop just in time to see the second plane hit.

I went over to my daddy's house that morning early because we were getting calves up, sorting them and taking them to the cattle auction that was the next day. I was about 30 at the time and had just moved back home a few months prior. We talked at the house and watched a little bit of the news but turned it off and walked out of the house about 830. Back then neither of us had a cell phone and it would have been a flip phone anyway. My mom was at work as was my wife so they had no way to contact us

We got the calves up and sorted them and were doing our thing. It was about 1100 when my now deceased (then 84 year old) grandfather came down to the barn. He was just sitting there watching us and saying nothing. We were talking among ourselves about what the calves would bring, etc.
Pawpaw speaks up and says something like "They might not bring anything/may not be a sale" we asked him what he was talking about and he was like "Ya'll haven't heard?? They stole some planes from somewhere and are dropping bombs on new york city and washing DC and are killing everybody!"
were thought he had lost his mind. he was never one to pay attention to stuff that was going on, it was funny what he said now looking back on it. Anyway we thought he was full of it but he was adamant and we got done and went to the house and turned on the news. We were in shock.
We debated carrying the calves to the sale and called the auction barn and ultimately decided to carry them and take a chance. The calves sold the next day and the price was a little soft but not the hit we had expected. I do remember that our loads were the last loads sold that day and the sale ended in EARLY afternoon, and that time of year the sale there can go from before lunch until after midnight. We carry our calves the day prior to the sale when possible so they will sell early in the day but on that day apparently NO ONE brought their calves after we did the day before the sale.
I remember when our calves sold the auctioneer who is a friend of looked at daddy and said "not as bad as we thought it would be was it?" referring to the price we got for our calves.

**when we went back to the barn after lunch that afternoon of 9/11 to load the calves to carry them to the auction we noticed there were NO planes or contrails in the sky and it was eerily quiet, as on clear days like that we normally hear planes in the background and see the white lines in the sky because we live around the flight path to ATL airport. That was the part about it that struck me as "this is no bull it really did happen".

Last edited:

Patriot44

**when we went back to the barn that afternoon to load the calves to carry them to the auction we noticed there were NO planes or contrails in the sky and it was eerily quiet, as on clear days like that we normally hear planes in the background and see the white lines in the sky because we live around the flight path to ATL airport. That was the part about it that struck me as "this is no bull it really did happen".
Yes! I remember the first plane that I heard after the grounding, it was a C5 going into dobbins. I was planting a tree in the back yard when I heard it and I thought about exactly how much background noise that we had become accustom to with planes.

We live just nort
Yes! I remember the first plane that I heard after the grounding, it was a C5 going into dobbins. I was planting a tree in the back yard when I heard it and I thought about exactly how much background noise that we had become accustom to with planes.
we live near ft benning (relatively) . As a kid and young man we would stop and watch the very few military choppers that would fly over. over the next several years post 9/11 it seemed it was almost daily flights you could hear day and night for a while. it was kind of funny at times they would fly low enough over the farm that we could see the soldiers in the chopper and wave at each other. I like to think they were flying that low enjoying the view as where the farm is is a very pretty area especially from the air. Probably gave a reminder of home to a lot of homesick soldiers at training during that time period. That part of the county is one cattle farm and hay farm after another and timber land.

Last edited:
Yes I remember exactly. I had just worked 15 hours on night shift at the airport. I showered, ate, and climbed in bed with no knowledge of the attack. Moments later my soon to be wife called me very upset and filled me in while I flipped on the news. I watched for a few minutes in disbelief as the second plane collided with the tower. At that moment the possibility of it being an accident was eliminated from my mind. A Red Dawn scenario popped into my head(I was in shock).I loaded up a few weapons and water and headed to my fiancee's place of employment and sat in the parking lot for the remainder of her work day. Once she was headed back to her folks house. I went home showered and went back to the airport for a 12 hour shift. Today is 11 days shy of our 18th wedding anniversary.

baddave

we were at the atlanta financial center where 400 goes under a building on n.side .. we were actually hooking up a bunch of TVs.. went in the big room to check how they were looking and everyone was silent and glued to the tv . we stood there and watched it all unfold .. was a horrible day .. where we were we felt like we could be next . we went home .. didn't sleep a wink that nite .. can't watch it again to this day. smh... somebody , somewhere did something...ISLAMIC TERRORIST!

humdandy

I do. I also remember fishing that day in the pond at my house. I was sitting in the boat that afternoon when I heard a few jet fighters flying by at mach speed...............a minute or so later Air Force one flew over..........it flew so low I could easily read the letters.........and then a few more jet fighters flew over.