Do you remember what you were doing 18 years ago today?

I was in college and should have been in class but was out sick. I woke up late (for me) and flipped on the television. They were still trying to determine if the collision was an accident and what type of plane it was etc for the first few minutes I sat there zoned out watching. I watched the second collision live and then of course I spent the day staring at the television and feeling pretty low about the world. My Dads best friend and a role model for me had just passed unexpectedly that August and it just seemed like things couldn’t get any worse. My fiancé (now wife) had a step father working in NYC that frequented the trade center so we had to insure he had survived and then try to process it all. Makes me more ****ed now than it did on that day.

I was on my way to work and heard an airplane had hit the World Trade Center but there were no details. I got to the office a few minutes later and the girls in the office were all in the break room watching it on TV. As I walked into the break room I saw the smoke coming out of the first tower and I knew it wasn't any Cessna 172 that hit the building.

Just about then the second plane hit. It was totally surreal and it took me a few seconds to process what had just happened in front of me. As soon as my mind caught up to the reality the first words out of my mouth were "Osama bin Laden did it" and "we're going to war and this time it's going to be a real war".

The memory haunts me to this day and we're not done over there by a long shot. They will never stop until we kill every last one of them.

http://www.jimlynch.com/911/america-attacked3.html

I was driving to work when my wife called me crying saying a plane had hit the center. Before I could get to the office, she said another plane had hit the other tower. She became hysterical and wanted to go get our children out of school. I told her that they were safer there for now and I would find out what was going on when I got to the office. The internet was jammed and it took me 30 minutes to get up the story of what was happening.

I would highly recommend the museum if you ever get up to NYC. It is an extremely well done rememberance. It brought back all of the emotions of that day. Visiting it 16 years later, I still walked around that place with tears in my eyes.

Patriot44

I would highly recommend the museum if you ever get up to NYC. It is an extremely well done rememberance. It brought back all of the emotions of that day. Visiting it 16 years later, I still walked around that place with tears in my eyes.
There is an Irish pub across the street that many of the first responders and cleanup workers ate at and there are patches of military and first responders floor to ceiling. I usually stay at the Courtyard next door, think the place is called O’hara’s or something like that. Hair raising.

The silence that insued after.

One other stark memory from that time:

The next day I decided I needed some alone time. So I drove out to Chatt. national forest and headed up a long dirt road. When I got to the gate I hiked out to the end of a ridge spur and climbed a tree. It was one of those afternoons when the birds don't even move. There were no planes in the sky and no cars on the roads. The silence was deafening. It was surreal. I felt like the whole world was mourning with me.

I was in 10th grade. I remember one girl in my class was hysterical (understandably) bc her dad had a meeting in the WTC that day. His meeting wasn’t til afternoon, he wasn’t around when the planes struck the tower. Lucky man.

Our school was put on lockdown. Every teacher rolled a TV into their classroom. Some classes joined together in one room. We all watched with heavy hearts. I remember my Dad coming to get me from school about lunchtime. We went home, loaded some gear, and went fishing. Years later he told me, “I didn’t know what else to do..”

A very impactful day in my life, that I will never forget.

Big7

I was in Atlanta, working just off Fulton Industrial Blvd.

My job then was managing the tool room for a major company that did around 48 million in sales owned by a single owner. He was really good to me.

Anyhooo. I had a little short guy working for me. He was the "manager" hired in a week after me. Strictly a politician - he got bumped by me 6 weeks later. I didn't like him much. He was one of them kind that had one arm around your shoulder and the other stabbing you in the back. Looking back, I should have fired him.

He was telling me that his wife called him and told him the first tower had been hit. I thought he was joking because he always told lies and pulled pranks. Then, my Sr. Programmer told me he heard it on his radio and he was not the kind to joke about that kind of thing.

He and I, along with some of my toolmakers went to the break room on the mezzanine, watched the second plane hit. I knew then we were under attack.

I had never heard of Al-Qaeda at that time. I though for sure it was Yasser Arafat and the PLO. Hijacking was their M.O.

Then, my focus shifted to my Dad. He had just retired from the Army, subject to recall during the buy out- he was just barely retired at the age of 55. I lived in Conyers at the time. My parents lived in Monroe. I wanted to get "home" and be with my Dad and Mama. My Boss Hen was in Decatur, working at the State Farm Regional Office asca claims manager. When I called her she said she just heard about it. I told her I was closing the shop and heading for my parents and for her to run by our house, grab the dogs and cats, then head to my parents.

I was afraid they would hit more landmarks. The Sears Tower and Westin- Peachtree Plaza. Peachtree Plasa was the tallest hotel in the world at the time. It was between me and my house and my parent's house. I wanted to make sure I cleared Atlanta. I was convinced Atlanta would also be attacked. I ran about 80mph all down I-20 to the Ga. 138 Exit in Conyers, then to Monroe.

I thought my Dad would be called back to Dobbins Air Force Base in Marietta, where he had just retired his commission as Assistant to the Adjutant General of The National Guard Wing. Thankfully, he was not activated. My little Mama would have had a stroke. I knew if he was activated, he would not be deployed out of The United States. His skills as Assistant to the A.G., Former Chief 151st. Aviation Battalion and prior to that, Chief 1040th. Transportation Battalion. He was much more valuable to be in a combat zone. Please don't read anything into that as ALL members of U.S. Military are VERY valuable in their own right. Everyone has a place. Dad's happened to be command an control. He was regarded by everyone, subordinate or superior as a Soldier that could get it done.

My recollection of The Army that waived the "age requirements" by several months when I applied to The United States Army is another thing I need to post later. This post is already a book. I remember every little thing about that day and the months that followed, including the U.S. invasion of Afghanistan. More of my story to be continued.

Hope y'all read my post here and will read the next post. I think I can get the rest in another post. Lot of things going on in my head, especially my recollection of that horrible attack and my desire to kill em' ALL !

Big7

I know it's a long post above. Please take a little time to read it. Thanks!

Thread starter #75

Horns

I was in Atlanta, working just off Fulton Industrial Blvd.

My job then was managing the tool room for a major company that did around 48 million in sales owned by a single owner. He was really good to me.

Anyhooo. I had a little short guy working for me. He was the "manager" hired in a week after me. Strictly a politician - he got bumped by me 6 weeks later. I didn't like him much. He was one of them kind that had one arm around your shoulder and the other stabbing you in the back. Looking back, I should have fired him.

He was telling me that his wife called him and told him the first tower had been hit. I thought he was joking because he always told lies and pulled pranks. Then, my Sr. Programmer told me he heard it on his radio and he was not the kind to joke about that kind of thing.

He and I, along with some of my toolmakers went to the break room on the mezzanine, watched the second plane hit. I knew then we were under attack.

I had never heard of Al-Qaeda at that time. I though for sure it was Yasser Arafat and the PLO. Hijacking was their M.O.

Then, my focus shifted to my Dad. He had just retired from the Army, subject to recall during the buy out- he was just barely retired at the age of 55. I lived in Conyers at the time. My parents lived in Monroe. I wanted to get "home" and be with my Dad and Mama. My Boss Hen was in Decatur, working at the State Farm Regional Office asca claims manager. When I called her she said she just heard about it. I told her I was closing the shop and heading for my parents and for her to run by our house, grab the dogs and cats, then head to my parents.

I was afraid they would hit more landmarks. The Sears Tower and Westin- Peachtree Plaza. Peachtree Plasa was the tallest hotel in the world at the time. It was between me and my house and my parent's house. I wanted to make sure I cleared Atlanta. I was convinced Atlanta would also be attacked. I ran about 80mph all down I-20 to the Ga. 138 Exit in Conyers, then to Monroe.

I thought my Dad would be called back to Dobbins Air Force Base in Marietta, where he had just retired his commission as Assistant to the Adjutant General of The National Guard Wing. Thankfully, he was not activated. My little Mama would have had a stroke. I knew if he was activated, he would not be deployed out of The United States. His skills as Assistant to the A.G., Former Chief 151st. Aviation Battalion and prior to that, Chief 1040th. Transportation Battalion. He was much more valuable to be in a combat zone. Please don't read anything into that as ALL members of U.S. Military are VERY valuable in their own right. Everyone has a place. Dad's happened to be command an control. He was regarded by everyone, subordinate or superior as a Soldier that could get it done.

My recollection of The Army that waived the "age requirements" by several months when I applied to The United States Army is another thing I need to post later. This post is already a book. I remember every little thing about that day and the months that followed, including the U.S. invasion of Afghanistan. More of my story to be continued.

Hope y'all read my post here and will read the next post. I think I can get the rest in another post. Lot of things going on in my head, especially my recollection of that horrible attack and my desire to kill em' ALL !
Do your parents still live in Monroe? I wonder if I know them

Batjack

member #1313
I had just gotten home from working a night shift. Fixed my Dad's breakfast and my supper and sat down to the table when the news broke in and the first tower was smoking. When the second tower was hit...I just got up and headed to the basement and grabbed my G.O.O.D. gear and went back up stairs. My very deaf Dad was on the phone trying to figure out what was being said on the other end. I took the phone from him and got my recall orders.
By this time on that day I was wheels up, in a jump seat of a "Hurky Bird" enroute to Germany on the way to the Middle East. Not a lot of time to think about anything that had happened to this world in the past eight hours, but it's a long flight with plenty of time to try to put things into perspective.

Big7

Do your parents still live in Monroe? I wonder if I know them
My Daddy passed away in 2017. My Mama is still kicking, doing as well as she can given she lost her husband of 54 years and me coding 3 times in a lengthy stay in 3 hospitals.
Thanks for asking.

PM me your name and I'll ask her. FYI... P.M.'s stay PRIVATE with me. Frind or foe. I'll never forward the message on here or anywhere else. I'll give her your name and she can tell me if she knows you or not. Then, I'll let you know. Thanks.

Big7

I had just gotten home from working a night shift. Fixed my Dad's breakfast and my supper and sat down to the table when the news broke in and the first tower was smoking. When the second tower was hit...I just got up and headed to the basement and grabbed my G.O.O.D. gear and went back up stairs. My very deaf Dad was on the phone trying to figure out what was being said on the other end. I took the phone from him and got my recall orders.
By this time on that day I was wheels up, in a jump seat of a "Hurky Bird" enroute to Germany on the way to the Middle East. Not a lot of time to think about anything that had happened to this world in the past eight hours, but it's a long flight with plenty of time to try to put things into perspective.
Thank You and everyone in the armed services, along with all the first responders, WE ALL THANK YOU AND THE OTHERS FOR PROTECTING THE UNITED STATES.

Was getting ready for work. Worked 11A-11P at that time. First channel I turned on..it was being replayed & I thought it was previews for a movie coming out. I turned the channel...same thing playing. Turned it again to the news...same thing playing out.😳🥵 Not one week before this,I had a somewhat heated discussion with a few co-workers...about allowing just anybody,unchecked..un-vetted..into our country!! The radio stations were all on it,no planes flying,everybody on hyper-alert...people jumping out of buildings by the 100’s to avoid being burned 😢🤬a sad day that still makes me absolutely ticked off when I think about it. Further,due to Liberal policies..We WILL Face more of these attacks...because of LIBERALS..

fireman32

Scuffing the under side of a car hood at the body shop I use to work at. I thought it was a joke until the radio kept repeating it. I wasn’t a firefighter then, but my hat is off to all of the first responders that were in that scene and gave their lives for all those affected. Being on scene must have been an overwhelmingly chaotic and hopeless thing. Yet they didn’t coward away, they suited up and took care of business. Seeing those victims jump should never be forgotten. Maybe one day we can kill the ideology that caused all of this.