Do you think crossbows are replacing compound bows?

whchunter

Previous comment talked about compound bow manufacturers pricing thenselves out of business. I argued this point on GON forum several years ago. One guy who may have been a bow rep tried to convince me that the cost of materials ECT were justifiable. I still don't see it. Compared to a gun and the cost difference as well as the dependability IMO the cost of bows is absurd.

whchunter

The bad thing about a crossbow is, its like carrying an open umbrella thru the woods. If your still hunting or stalking that is.
Try the new narrow limb cb and use the single strap style. His way the limbs hang in front of your leg. The single strap is elastic and is like the AR carry strap that allows for easy mount to your shoulder with tension from the elastic.

ryanh487

Previous comment talked about compound bow manufacturers pricing thenselves out of business. I argued this point on GON forum several years ago. One guy who may have been a bow rep tried to convince me that the cost of materials ECT were justifiable. I still don't see it. Compared to a gun and the cost difference as well as the dependability IMO the cost of bows is absurd.

I got to agree on this point.

A 30" overall length compound bow vs a 30" overall width compound crossbow, the crossbow has way more material, parts, and draw weight, yet is commonly 1/3 the price of a compact compound bow.

Honestly I would love one of the new compound bows and to start shooting more often. But not for $800-1000 for something less complicated than a $300 crossbow.

Hillbilly stalker

But there's a FUN factor to shooting a compound that you gave to figure in to the equation . I've never got together with my buddies to shoot Xbows, but we will spend half a Sunday trying to bust each other's knocks with the compounds.

shdw633

Try the new narrow limb cb and use the single strap style. His way the limbs hang in front of your leg. The single strap is elastic and is like the AR carry strap that allows for easy mount to your shoulder with tension from the elastic.

I carry mine with an AR strap.

shdw633

But there's a FUN factor to shooting a compound that you gave to figure in to the equation . I've never got together with my buddies to shoot Xbows, but we will spend half a Sunday trying to bust each other's knocks with the compounds.

Probably couldn't do that with a crossbow because you would be busting each others knocks out pretty easily and it would end up being a quick shoot. I can shoot at the same area twice in a row without ruining a bolt.

BowanaLee

My brother has been shooting xbows since they were legal. I stuck with my bow. I always told him they were for people that couldn’t shoot a bow. To young, to old, no practice time or could hit the broad side of a barn. Jokingly I said he fell in that last category. Now I’m shooting one. ?

shdw633

I got to agree on this point.

A 30" overall length compound bow vs a 30" overall width compound crossbow, the crossbow has way more material, parts, and draw weight, yet is commonly 1/3 the price of a compact compound bow.

Honestly I would love one of the new compound bows and to start shooting more often. But not for $800-1000 for something less complicated than a $300 crossbow.

Volume of sales might have something to do with that. Possibly more volume in sales in a 370 fps crossbow than there is in a 340 +/- compound bow.

confederate

I read a few years ago that the average age of a deer hunter is 48 now. Crossbows are getting more and more popular with the aging deer hunter numbers. 20 years there were normally only 3 or so crossbows shown in Cabelas and Bass Pro archery catalog. Today there are pages of them. I think crossbows will be the most popular in the near future. I got Target panic about 15 years ago and went to a crossbow. I didn't like it for the first few years but now I wouldn't go back for anything and really enjoy my Excalibur.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I bought my daughter a crossbow when she was 13 just because she loves hunting and wanted to archery hunt , she shot it about a dozen times and killed a deer with it , I hardly ever take my compound anymore , I love shooting that thing , now she’s about to be 16 and wanted a compound and she’s got one , I recently got me a recurve , gonna play with it a little and maybe be ready by next season with it , but until then I’ll probably be slinging bolts !