Dockery Lake

Coenen

Trout is what they stock it with. Also some bream, and channel cats in there. Probably a few big ol bass too.

Steven D

After fishing on/off all weekend only caught a couple of small bream. Saw 2 people catch a few small stocker trout and many more with no luck. Doubt any bass in the lake with the salamander population, they were all over the shoreline. Anything I put on the bottom came back covered in slimy algae. Beautiful camp ground, plan on going back to fish Coopers and Dicks creeks.

j_seph

Sad news for sure. My wife grew up camping up there with her family all the time some 35 years ago. We went up couple years ago as well as last year just to get out. It really saddened her to how it looks now vs. back then. She has told me many storys of all the trout her family used to catch up there. I would suggest a small float, maybe even a clear one. When we walked around the lake it seems there was a big rock or rock wall on the shallow side. We were standing there and looked down and 2 trout were suspended near the bank in that grass looking stuff.

Mattval

Hey what are the roads like getting up there? Would this be a good camp site to bear hunt from?

OwlRNothing

Often, time can change how you remember things. When we're kids, young adults or just new to trout fishing (or fishing/outdoors in general) everything is shiny and new and we're filled with hope and excitement. I'm not sure Dockery has changed all that much in the last 30 years. They did remove the other warmwater fish back in the early 90's I think, so unless someone has intentionally restocked them, there should only be trout - but we all know how that goes with the bucket biologists we have in the world. Anyhoot, stocking is over for the year I think, except for the occasional bonus gift stocking that WRD or the feds might do here and there. I don't think they stock Dockery in late summer or fall - but I'm sure there's a state website where you could find that out.

As for the road(s), it was pretty good last time I was there, compared to some FS roads. Pretty easy to get into even in a car. Not sure about the bear hunting thing - it's bordered on the north side by Waters Creek. Just check the regs before venturing into the woods around there. I've seen bear sign there before and I think about 10 years ago they had a real bear problem there? I seem to remember warning signs, but maybe those are everywhere now days? Good luck!

ripplerider

Just remember that it's part of Chestatee WMA, so you can only gun hunt it when the management area is open. You can bowhunt it all bowseason but you'll need to check yourself in at the beginning of the season. You can do it online.