Doe harvest from food plots?

TJay

How many out there harvest does from their food plots? We do it on a regular basis and I believe our buck sightings on the plots have suffered. I think that if you take enough does (especially with a firearm) off the food plots that you are educating the deer. Any thoughts on this??

PHIL M

Gone But Not Forgotten
we take alot of does off our plots, as many as 12 on one plot. I think your right about educating the bucks. when I take my vacation at our club. I like to sit in our box stands on food plots at night with my night vision just to see what comes out. even at night the older bucks dont like to venture out in the plots much. they usually sit just inside of the tree line and watch the other deer.maybe they come out later on in the night, I dont know.

FootLongDawg

If you have a high doe population, BLAST THEM!! In most cases, you will be much better off in the long run reducing the does on your land. Those (big) bucks may stay back longer, but your best hope anyway is he will make the ultimate mistake.

gadeerwoman

For me, the answer is never with a firearm. I'm hunting small food plots and I've seen it cause the does to become nocturnal quickly. And I don't hunt food plots in the mornings unless they are in cutovers and then very seldom. I make it a rule to stay away from my food plots until the rut is just starting and the time/wind/conditions are right. Otherwise, I stay as far away from them as possible. If you want to shoot does and small bucks, they make it a lot easier but in my opinion, if you are after a good buck you need to keep the food plot areas as quiet and disturbance free as possible. I also like to have a good sized food plot in the middle of my land that is 'off limits' to any hunting or human pressure period!!

BROWNING7WSM

GONetwork Member
I wouldnt worry about shooting them on the plot.. Fire away.. :shoot: ... That mature Buck is'nt coming out till dark thirty.. Get off the plot and inbetween it and the bedding area if your wanting that Buck...

Dean

I agree with gadeerwomen

for hunting small (less than 1 acre plots) if your herd is balanced. If not, use the plots as doe harvest zones to quickly get your herd balance in check realizing that you may sacrifice a deer season in terms of only hunting mature bucks. Once the herd is in balance for your land, I would follow gadeerwomens guidelines.

On the other hand, we have taken regularly taken does off one of our large plots (3-5 acres) and also taken 130" + bucks from the same plot within days, certainly within the same season.

I am all for shooting does, however, on the lease I have been running till the lady sold it we would not allow any hunting within 100yds of any food plot. We have been real succesful in doing this. Even big bucks will use them in the light of day. We always hammer the does until the rut starts. After the rut the does are off limits. Got to let them have them little ones. Mature bucks are open game though. You also have to remember that if you want to do it right then you need both harverst and nutritional plots....