Does a shotgun have to be plugged when hunting hogs?

chrislibby88

Pretty sure you can only use birdshot (can’t remeber the exact shot size limit) during small game season, which is pretty useless for hogs, so the plug wouldn’t matter. If you are asking about during big game season, the answer is no. There is no limit on magazine capacity during rifle season.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Check it, it depends. The reg books r at Walmart now. I haven’t checked it yet but It may be different private or public.....plugged during turkey season for sure and #2 max shot but they added buckshot to Deer. Again, I think not positive so check it out To be sure.......

red neck richie

No you dont need a plug. You can hut hogs 24/7/365. Just curious why do you want to use a shotgun. You can download the reg book at gohuntgeorgia.com. Look on pages 30-31. A hog is not considered a game species.

Last edited:

Buford_Dawg

No you dont need a plug. You can hut hogs 24/7/365. Just curious why do you want to use a shotgun. You can download the reg book at gohuntgeorgia.com. Look on pages 30-31. A hog is not considered a game species.
Good to know. Just in case I have a shotgun with me at the time.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
If you are hunting public land it will need to be plugged except during a deer rifle hunt.

^^^^this and if on public land you cannot hunt them except during some kind of legit season AND with the appropriate firearm for that corresponding season. Private land/lease is a whole nother ballgame.
I was thinking the OP was using a shotgun as it is his best Small Game weapon which is the current season.......personally I’d rather carry the .22lr, but won’t hesitate to have and use the shotgun for pigs during Dove season, which is when I carry it.....and turkey season.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I did get a .22 mag a few years ago and it is my small game gun, aka pig killer ?

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
On a WMA/public land during small game dates a plug is required. There is no such requirement on private land or during deer hunts on WMAs.

Latest posts