Does any body ?

Blackston

Have a hard time hearing the sound of a gobble ( seriously ). I went with my cousin once this year and he walked me within 150 yds of a bird I never heard until we sat down. He told me I was deaf!!! Well today I took these pics and the gobbler would stretch out his neck and gobble and I couldn’t hardly hear him ? ( I don’t know if he was tame or not but a gobble is a gobble right ) Is there such a thing as tone deaf to a gobble? Pics wouldn’t load even with screenshot ??? But still same question

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Sometimes when a Jake tries to gobble, it only lets out half of one. Like an old deaf cat who gives half a meow...
Could you see a long beard?

six

I know several people that have trouble hearing one at a distance. I on the other hand am blessed with great hearing, have always took care of my ears ever since I was young and glad of it.

But keep in mind turkeys are like people, they can talk low, normal or scream. Ive witnessed many a bird knocking the bark of the trees while on the limb, but really tone it down once on the ground. I've seen field turkeys gobble at 30 yards and it not seem very loud at all. In the woods wind and foliage really effects what you hear or don't hear, I wonder all the time how many I dont hear because they have toned it down.

Mark K

Banned
From guns and Uncle Sam my hearing is shot. I can still hear a gobble but some have to be pointed out to me, lol.
Drumming is almost nonexistent. Occasionally I can hear it, but never before anyone else.

Blackston

Just made me wonder if the few birds I heard this year were right on top of me ?

buckpasser

There may be something to not being able to hear them for some. I took a friend once (27 years old). I got him setup to shoot. Things were getting pretty exciting (for me) as the Tom was about 150 yards in a pasture and coming. That’s when he turned and asked me if I had heard anything? He hung up around 100 and gobbled his head off. I don’t know if my buddy every heard him...

This guy was a first time turkey hunter, so maybe it just takes some time to “tune your ears”.

Tadder

Hay Blackson me and wife were on one this yr. that i think had laryngitis , he was 50 yds and you couldn't hear him but see his head run out in the gobbling form. he got 10 yds and we just could here him. Hope he's still around. Know I've harvested birds in the past that could control the volume of there gobble. Had a bird the other day sound like a jake gobbling turned out too be a 3 yr old gobbler. Call in a bird last we I though was a mature bird and he was a jake, He should be a vocal bird next season. Hang in there good luck.

Gaswamp

the turkeys can count their blessings that I don't have great hearing. Really thinking about a hearing enhancer next year

Hillbilly stalker

As much as I've hunted in my life, I've never heard a turkey drum. I can hear them spit and see them shake, but never heard it even on a computer turned up loud. I have been blessed with great hearing. I can hear a deer grunt or walking from along ways off. I thought I heard every gobble in the woods until I started taking a 19 year old kid turkey hunting. I got humbled, he heard birds I didn't. Father time waits on no one.

Blackston

I’ve spent 20 yrs in a fab shop and the era of boom boom stereos ( In my granddads words “ u ain’t gonna be able to hear yourself **** when ya get older “)I too am considering a Game Ear

RedHills

Self Banned after losing a Noles bet.
the turkeys can count their blessings that I don't have great hearing. Really thinking about a hearing enhancer next year

I've had hearing issues my entire adult life..5 years ago I fixed that with hearing aides. It changed the woods and my life! The problem I had prior to that with "game ears" was the inability to course sounds.

NCMTNHunter

My hearing is not very good. I can’t hear high pitch sounds at all. Anything that beeps, alarms on appliances and such don’t even exist to me. I can’t carry on a conversation in a crowded room because the noise is just a roar inside my head. But for whatever reason I can still detect the frequency of a gobble from a mile away.

My wife on the other hand hears everything. Beeps, chirps, drips or whatever. She can hear critters walking in the leaves that I can’t. But for whatever reason I can just about always hear distant gobbles that she can’t.

Maybe god knows the only thing keeping my sanity is the ability to hear a few gobbles a year.

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
Hearing frequency is a strange thing. It's been a long time since I've heard a turkey drum. One thing that's never changed with my hearing is a bird at 300 yards sounds louder than one at 100 yards to me in most situations. Not sure if its to do with echo or something. If the gobble has less volume and more distinct, I know he's close to coming into view.

I had two hens cross the same log on a creek one morning. I could have sworn they were 50 to 75 yards away. They were both less than 20.

GADAWGS

My hearing is awful, but I can still hear most birds. Last year I watched a bird at 80yds gobble on a power line. I could barely hear it.

Ihunt

Youre deaf....lol.

Try a set of Howard Leight bionic ears. About $50.00 on Amazon. Hundreds and hundreds of great reviews. I highly recommend for the price. A cheap way to find out if you really are having trouble hearing or not.

I’m 50 and also had the way too loud stereo. When I use the Howard Leights, I can hear things I haven’t heard since I finally cracked the 140db threshold.

Bubba_1122

Lost most of the hearing in my left ear last year. Have a hearing aid, but still a little difficult to hear them at times.

I use the Walker headsets. That sure helps.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
I’ve spent 20 yrs in a fab shop and the era of boom boom stereos ( In my granddads words “ u ain’t gonna be able to hear yourself **** when ya get older “)I too am considering a Game Ear

Hearing frequency is a strange thing. It's been a long time since I've heard a turkey drum. One thing that's never changed with my hearing is a bird at 300 yards sounds louder than one at 100 yards to me in most situations. Not sure if its to do with echo or something. If the gobble has less volume and more distinct, I know he's close to coming into view.

I had two hens cross the same log on a creek one morning. I could have sworn they were 50 to 75 yards away. They were both less than 20.

I too was part of the boom boom stereo era...and we had some good ones back in my twenties!!! Also followed the footsteps of my Dad and his brothers and I target practiced with no ear protection. Only I target practiced 10 times as much as them. (I wear hearing protection now and I teach my kids to practice with hearing protection).
But I don't hear good, I have a constant ringing that never goes away....ever!!!!

Yes hearing frequency IS a strange thing! If people are right next to me teliing me somthing and a dog is barking 400 yards away.....all I can hear is the dog. If watching tv the music on the movie alway's drowns out the people talking.

If I hear a turkey drumming then he's inside my 50 yard range.
If I'm hunting with family or friends....I tell them to point when they hear a gobble. Point at the gobble and hold it there. When we hear a daybreak roost gobble everyone is pointing the same direction except for me I'm usually pointing somewhere else.
My wife say's when I hunt by myself I probably just walk in the wrong direction until eventually I run into the next gobbler.

But I am lucky for good vision. If it moves 1 feather or 1 hair in the woods it won't get past me. If it's still I might not see it, but once it moves and I got it then it can stop and stand still all it wants I'll always see it.