Does anyone hunt Henry county Alabama, Abbeville area?

shortster

I may have an opportunity to hunt some property in Henry county Alabama. The property is a southeast of Abbeville, Alabama. If anyone is familiar with the Hunting in that area I would Appreciate any information you can provide, such as deer population, genetics, terrain!

Thanks!

treadwell

Used to hunt in that area a looooooong time ago. Almost every inch of land was dog hunted very hard. Things may have changed. Wish I could help more.

treadwell

Yes, there were some really nice deer killed. There was not a lot of deer though. I tried finding places to hunt for years. Most land was family owned, some timber company land, most of it leased by Florida folks. I was dirt poor at the time so getting in a lease was not an option. Finally, what I did do was start to raise and train deer dogs, just about any breed, and hunt or sell them. Funny thing happened, all of the sudden I had more land to hunt than time. Starting about Wednesday night I'd start getting calls from different dog hunting groups to come hunt with them. Over a 4 year period I can't begin to remember how many groups I hunted with. Law enforcement, a judge, local politicians, business folks, farm families, and not one time did any of these folks even begin to abide by the law. (Disclaimer: I KNOW THAT THIS DOES NOT SPEAK FOR ALL GROUP OF DOG HUNTERS, I AM SURE THERE ARE GREAT, LAW ABIDING DOG HUNTERS OUT THERE, I JUST NEVER WAS LUCKY ENOUGH TO FIND THEM). They shot whatever ran by them, loaded it up and hauled it out of there. Finally, what I did was make verbal agreements with some of the bigger groups, I loan you a pack of dogs, you hunt them, feed them, in exchange for the right to still hunt the land. Never saw a deer killed over 140-150" though. One other thing, that area is SATURATED with eastern diamond back rattlers. LOTS of them. Good luck.

treadwell

One other note, If I was headed to hunt Alabama, I'd target the Barbour County area around Eufaula. Most of the land is managed for at least some trophy class deer. Ton's of timber company land, (see the land for lease section). I have seen a few 150-160 class deer taken over the last few years.

Latest posts