Does anyone know what the capital of Syria?

Burl E.

If you guessed Damascus, you should know the type of steel in this new knife I made. :clap:
The handle is a laminate of Birch, Walnut, and Purpleheart.
I haven't tried to sharpen the blade yet. Any of ya'll got a file I can borrow. ::ke: :cheers:

Attachments

• knife 015 (600 x 222).jpg
    knife 015 (600 x 222).jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 228

Burl E.

And.......

And here is his little brother.
The handle is made of Paduak, Birch , and Walnut W/ a Damascus blade.

Attachments

• knife 017 (600 x 337).jpg
    knife 017 (600 x 337).jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 227

Minner

Those are some fine looking knives you've been posting!

Do you "make" the blades yourself from raw steel or order them preformed? I've wanted to give knife making a try but I'm not sure how well I'd do making the blades and them trying to harden them. My Dad is pretty knowledgable about metallurgy and steel (been in the machine shop business 20+ years) but I don't know much about it. Even if I did, I don't really have the equipment to do it.

That damascus steel is some expensive stuff I've noticed! But it looks good and I've heard it makes a fine blade.

Burl E.

Blades

I have made blades that I cut from bar stock and old saw blades.
These latest blades I bought.
It saved me a LOT of sanding, grinding, polishing, and sanding, grinding, polishing, and sanding, grind...... and so on.
These Damascus blades are the first ones I have actually held in my hand.
I don't know much about metallurgy, but I do know it's some hard steel. I ran my little kitchen knife sharpener across it, it didn't even scratch it.
I am going to try to make some sheaths for them today.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Nice:cool:

Minner

Burl E. said:
These latest blades I bought.
It saved me a LOT of sanding, grinding, polishing, and sanding, grinding, polishing, and sanding, grind...... and so on.

I heard that. I think that's the way I'd like to try it too.

Thanks for the pics!

Al33

Great looking knives BurlE. I was at the blade show Sunday and drooled over many of the Damascus knives I saw there.

I have one a friend made and just yesterday resharpened it to a shaving edge. Had to use a Nicholson file to start with then to my diamond stones finishing with my Yellowstone and strop.

pnome

What is the capitol of Assyria?
HolyGrail197.jpg

Nice looking knife!

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Fine knife!! Damascas is the steel of dreams!!! :cheers: