Does your palm hurt? Free palm saver!

Im new to blackpowder. Found that the ram rod was hurting my hand seating the bullet at the range. Tried the Thompson center ramrod with the t-handle but it didn't help much. I started putting a scap of something flat between end of rod and my hand. Saw this tip online and it's nearly free, fits in my pocket, and works great. Drill a hole in an old golf ball! Fits like a glove! Resized_20190816_125951.jpeg

j_seph

my starter like this has a hole in ball
61cV9k50jHL._SX425_.jpg

My barrel has that quick load cut out. Bullet drops in so I have never had to use a starter. Just seating with the rod. I didn't know the starter had a hole for that!

Never had a problem with it.

Guess it will work for people with soft hands or sensitive palms.
I may be getting a touch of arthritis in my hands. Knuckles throb like a dull headache by the end of my 12 hour shift at the paper mill. At this point I'm just glad they are still attached to my body. Several of my coworkers cant say the same. Job hazard of working on a paper machine.

Hillbilly stalker

They make a end piece for the ram rod that is shaped like a mushroom. They call it a range rod, for when you go to the range to do a lot of shooting. I'll get a picture of mine later. You need to Mike your barrel, if it's that hard to load , you need a different diameter bullet. Chuck Hawks rifle page has a muzzle loader section that explains it well. Muzzle loaders barrels vary tremendously , but you can find the right diameter bullet to match it. You should notice a big improvement on accuracy also.

Timberman

May not be the right way but once I get a bullet started I just stick it against a tree or car tire or something and push it in.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
Im new to blackpowder. Found that the ram rod was hurting my hand seating the bullet at the range. Tried the Thompson center ramrod with the t-handle but it didn't help much. I started putting a scap of something flat between end of rod and my hand. Saw this tip online and it's nearly free, fits in my pocket, and works great. Drill a hole in an old golf ball! Fits like a glove! View attachment 980045
Nice rifle!

Hillbilly stalker

Here's what the Palm Saver looks like. It screws on the end of your ram rod and makes it a lot easier when your going to shoot a lot. I like your DYI one. But like I said, Mike that barrel and get the correct size bullet or sabot jacket, the diameters vary within the same caliber size. You get the right bullet and you usually don't even need a short starter .image.jpeg

rosewood

I am thinking if it is tight enough to tire out your hand, maybe the barrel needs to be cleaned more frequently between shots.

Rosewood