Dog eyes?

Big7

The Oracle
Does anyone know about how much does it cost to get my JRT's cataracts treated?

He's almost like family so the cost really matter much. I just need a ballpark figure so I can prepare for "sticker-shock", a few hundred, either way. Are we talking hundreds, or will it be in the thousands?

Thanks in advance for replies. Much appreciated.

PS.. He's 13 years old if that matters.??

tr21

sit down brother. back 20yrs ago I had a 1yr old husky that had cataracts, 1 eye was bad the other not so bad. being 1 yr old I had to get it fixed. it was close to $1k for 1 eye. I used dr. king in marrietta, don't know if she is still there. he lived a full life with no problems and the other eye never needed surgery. I know what you mean about your dog being family as mine are my kids, if you hurt them you had better be ready for the devil to unload on you. I will tell you, go see a veterinary optometrist see what they say, maybe 1 eye is worse than the other and you can just do 1 .good luck I know its stressful

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
That’s tough. Hate it for your friend

NOYDB

BANNED
At that age your JRT needs cuddle time more than vision. But see what the family vet has available. See if there is a vet school near that may offer procedures to train new vets.

Big7

The Oracle
Thanks Everyone for the info.

tr21

At that age your JRT needs cuddle time more than vision. But see what the family vet has available. See if there is a vet school near that may offer procedures to train new vets.
didnt think about the school option, you could try auburn univ. and might save you some money. what is a jrt ?

tr21

thanks justus4all, after I thought for it a bit and woke up I figured it out.(y)

BDD

Shannon Burk has a vet on his radio show from time to time. He was on yesterday

Discussing this same issue, he said about $2500 per eye , but on a old dog one good eye is enough.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
In the course of dealing with rescue dogs I have been around several totally blind dogs and many with severely restricted vision. I am amazed at their ability to quickly learn to navigate a new place and cope with the vision issues.

If yours is a "house dog", at 13 no treatment might be considered as a treatment.

Jim Baker

Staff member
In the course of dealing with rescue dogs I have been around several totally blind dogs and many with severely restricted vision. I am amazed at their ability to quickly learn to navigate a new place and cope with the vision issues.

If yours is a "house dog", at 13 no treatment might be considered as a treatment.

Had an 11 year Lab, Bosco, who developed diabetes and diabetic cataracts. The only course of action was to remove her eyes.

It was amazing how quick she adapted to being blind. Other than her gingerly stepping when she walked, you would have never guessed.

After a few incidents of bumping into a chair or coffee table she quickly found the lay of the land inside and even outside in the fenced area of the yard.

She had to have insulin shots and be walked at least 2 miles everyday which led to another pretty amazing story to long to tell here.

I watch her after almost 2 years of blindness just lay down in the yard and take her last breath. Would not take anything for those last 2 years of her life.

This was over 20 years ago now. Seems like the cost back thing was around $800.