Dog food troubles

godogs57

Didn't want to hijack the Dog Food thread below...I've read it and it has some good info in it. I have recently looked at switching from Pro Plan to something else for two reasons. Early on, say 25 years ago, or so, Pro Plan was the real deal...great food, great results and clean up on my concrete runs was a snap. I only had to deal with little balls of poop the size of a golf ball. Not now! Big ol piles like I was feeding Ol Roy or something and the odor....oh my gosh.

Second reason was the reviews of PPP were not encouraging, to say the least. Dog food advisor website gave PPP the second lowest rating.

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

I tried Diamond food and my dog refuses to eat it....not only that, the stuff attracts flies like crazy! Something that the PPP never did. It's like a dang run over armadillo is in the feed bowl or something.

I'm going to try Victor tomorrow when the feed store opens up and see how that goes.

brownceluse

I've been feeding PPP for 7 or so years now. But, I have noticed my two dogs are dropping a load these days.

godogs57

Lots of other folks on the other dog food thread preferred Victor. Went to pick some up this morning and my feed store said they no longer carried Victor products. Their reason was that all their bags of Victor had worms in it, while no other brands on adjoining pallets did. This happened more than once, so they returned all their bags and discontinued carrying it.

I mentioned that a large number of folks preferred it and agreed to give it another try.

Threw the diamond in my pond and got another bag of PPP for now.

red neck richie

I switched all 4 of my dog over to tractor supply brand "4 health ".

It is less expensive than others and they devour it.
I just got a new pup and did the same. In fact the breeder recommended the 4 health food to me. My pup loves it and is as regular as can be. I would recommend it as well.

treemanjohn

Banned
I've personally been using Victor for over 15 years and I saw such great results that I decided carrying it in my store, because it was tough to find. Every one of my customers that switch their dogs to it continually purchase it. I've had zero complaints and I've never had worms reported in any bag. That's just someone trying to bad mouth a product they are no longer carrying

Personally it's the only dog food that I've ever seen where a dog will eat it for 12 years every day and never hesitate to finish their bowl. Zero complaints for me

Hillbilly stalker

Victor is good feed. The only reason I changed is I cannot find it local. I used the orange bag, I hunt my dogs pretty hard and it kept them up good.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
We feed Victor to our dozen or so personal dogs and Tractor Supply 4 Health to lots of foster dogs. We have never found "worms" in either brand of dog food and are very well pleased with both.

Jack Ryan

I've been feeding Dog Chow for decades. The dog I have now is a so fixated on me when he is loose if I go in the house he would quit eating and leave the food to come sit on the porch and look in. I had to stay out there and watch or he would save it to nibble all day long.

After reading this thread I thought I'd try something different, may be it's the food instead of just blind admiration for me. I bought a small bag of Tractor Supply's 4Health for old dogs.

First bowl of that he was crazy about it. Second bowl he couldn't get enough I had to fill it up again. That was yesterday and he is almost like a new dog and he was already crazy active. The bag said it had glucosamine chondrotin for joints and stuff for old dogs. Only been two days but I'm sold on the stuff.

cramer

We feed Diesel 4Health from Tractor Supply, he has a sensitive stomach ( lab/dane ) maybe 2.5 y/o. - We always stay within the 4Health product line and the stomach issues are minimal, unless he gets a snack.
He is a 90# lap dog and lately he wants you to hang while he eats, or he until pm. He is black, and gets hot easy, so I think heat has something to do with his eating pattern.
His coat is great, piles are sizeable, but he is 90#'s.
Great energy ( 2.5 y/o)

Tio Hey Seuss

I feed all 25 of my australian shepherds Victor. I've used several varieties for pups, old dogs, working dogs and I've been happy with all. The high pro in the teal bag is my favorite all around. Check out the multi pro in the yellow bag if you're on a budget.

nrh0011

fed PPP for years then tractor supply diamond extreme athlete, now I'm on Hill's science diet and my dog loves it. Seems to digest well and no more vomiting/terrible gas. However, I did talk to a vet the other day (bird dog owner as well) and he swears by PPP.

krazybronco2

been feeding victor for 3 years now dog loves it also dont have to feed as much to get the same results as i did. started with PPP feeding 4 cups a day, now feed 2.5cups a day on victor and maintain body weight and energy levels. also order victor from Chewys shipped to the house in 2 days and if you have the auto ship you get a locked in price.

Jeremiah Glaze

I never understood the whole ppp cult type following that it has . If you read and study labels ppp is no different and no better than any average run of the mill corn filler dog food. dog food advisors rating is accurate on it. Victor gets a 5 star , and rightly so. I've fed ppp several different times , every time same results dogs won't hold weight, they look gutted. And drop greasy piles like ole Roy with a terrible smell. No thanks purina! Especially Not for $50 /37.5 lbs. I've fed victor for 6 years , never once had a bad bag or worms. I like the red 24/20 high energy or teal 30/20 bag. Feed less to maintain weight, clean up is very little in the kennel. Purina does a lot in supporting hunting and hunters and that's great! but they're dog foods don't do much for my dogs

Jester896

Senior Clown
I have been using Showtime Black bag 24/20 for a while. I have thought about a change. I have to make a 90 mile round trip and pick up 200# when I go once a month or so (down to just 2 dogs now). Feed rates sound about on line with the Victor. What I have been using costs me $22 a bag + travel and time.

Looks like the Green bag 24/20 will be about $100 more than what I'm using and is in 30# instead of 50#

Last edited: