Dog question

cself

Honest question not fishing for drama!
So like a lot of other guys on here I have shot and lost deer over the years I even gave up on bow hunting in my early 20s out of frustration. Back then I didn't know anyone with a tracking dog or know of resources like this forum to find them. I spent hours and sometimes days looking, anything from crawling on my knees to grid searching alone and with help. I still ask for help I've been humbled enough to not be arrogant that being said I feel like I have pretty good instincts for when a deer is mortally wounded or is not. This year I shot a really nice seven point probably be my biggest framed bow buck not sure what he would score but who cares right I was thrilled with the opportunity. I initially thought I shot over his back I shot him at 23 yards with my 30-yd pin and thanks to a little added noise from a loose quiver he did duck hard, no excuses just the facts a bad shot is a bad shot. when I went to retrieve the arrow I realized there was some blood on the fletchings as well as a little bit of hair tucked up under one of them my heart sank knowing that what I thought was a shot that clearly went over his back had hit the deer somewhere and I now had a wounded deer. I was self filming and unfortunately did not get the impact on camera but did video the buck running away. A friend and I reviewed the video and could not see on the deer where the arrow might have exited but from the video we could tell which trail he ran down We could also see his tracks running and kicking up leaves. We found very little blood finally (after a couple of hours) both of us agreed that I'd hit him in no man's land and that he was still alive. As this is a hunting community my initial thought was I'm going to share this with my fellow bowhunters for venting and community support reasons but I didn't because I knew the first page of comments would all be, "did you call a dog?", "dog didn't find it?", "I would get a dog!" And honestly I was not in the mood to hear or respond to any of that. Now that time has passed my honest question is do you call a dog for every single deer you draw blood from? The positive to this whole thing is that my dad spotted the buck about 3 weeks later and watched him walk across the neighbors field through his binoculars and could not find any sign of an injury.
I know that's a long paragraph to get to my question but I appreciate you reading and joining in the conversation.

Sixes

I have only called a dog on a buck that I felt was truly mortally wounded. The dog found him in less than 10 minutes, but he was alive and a finishing shot was required. That was with a rifle and I knew the shot was dead on. The ballistic tip exploded in the shoulder and barely penetrated one lung. It cost me about 100 for finding the deer and I tipped the grandson 40 for helping me drag the buck about a half mile and up a steep hill.

If you had told the story and said you had good blood, the shot felt perfect, the deer bucked at the shot, etc, then I would suggest getting a dog if you have the finances.

I will get flamed for this, but I am not going to spend 100+ dollars and hours of someones time to look for a doe or even an average buck. I was talking to a guy at my taxidermist's shop back in Sept, the guy mentioned that he had a very good dog and that he had started charging 300 bucks to look for a deer. Now this guy was from the North Fulton area, so there is a little more discretionary money in that area.

Everyone that bowhunts (or gun hunts) long enough either has or will lose a deer at some point, if they shoot enough of them. I've bowhunted for 30+ years and have killed 100 plus game animals with a bow, so I know what it's like to lose one every now and again.

I will put every effort to finding a deer, but to answer you honestly, I have had similar situations that you described that I knew the deer was unharmed and only a flesh wound and never even considered getting a dog.

I’m glad I don’t have to make that decision ever again. I coughed up $100 for a dog one time and couldn’t find it’s own tail. Now, I have my own hounds, and I do it for fun. I’ll help a buddy out for some of the meat. I’ve got a female blood hound that could find a busted tick off a squirrels BUTT.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
No I don’t call a dog every time , especially if I really feel it’s a non lethal shot , and believe me I’ve lost quite a few over the years but have been very fortunate the past several years

BDD

I called a dog on my son's 1st buck, it looked to be about a 4 pointer shot with a .223. lots of effort and time not never did find him. I've got a Lab now that's incredible.

Attachments

• 20150816_152825-1-1.jpg
    20150816_152825-1-1.jpg
    739.1 KB · Views: 9