Dogging Bear Quota Hunt

DAVE

Most post on deer hunting North Ga. usually have complaints about the deer population and how the bears negatively affect those deer numbers. Now after years of complaining about low deer numbers, the same complainers are complaining about the DNR trying to help the deer hunters by eliminating bears in a more effective way. After 30+ years of a bear season in Ga., if the old methods worked you wouldn't be needing dogs now.

It
Most post on deer hunting North Ga. usually have complaints about the deer population and how the bears negatively affect those deer numbers. Now after years of complaining about low deer numbers, the same complainers are complaining about the DNR trying to help the deer hunters by eliminating bears in a more effective way. After 30+ years of a bear season in Ga., if the old methods worked you wouldn't be needing dogs now.
It ain't because they are wanting to help improve deer numbers! From what I read last year they plan to maintain population where it is now. That was in the bear plan.

I appreciate your perspective since you have been on both sides of the fence. I hunt with both bow and gun, and there are a lot of guys that like to hunt bear early with a bow when they are still climbing the white oaks. The early rifle hunt starting just a week after the bow opener and then followed immediately by a ton of dog hunters for nine days makes the prospect of taking a bear with archery equipment an even tougher proposition unless a man is able to get it done in the first week. Chattahoochee and Chestatee will get real small real fast with that many dogs running. I understand that it won’t affect deer movement a few weeks later, but I would be surprised if there is a bear left on those two WMAs for the final two weeks of bow season which reopens the day after the dogs finish running. The bears will resume their normal patterns within their normal range eventually, but it sure won’t happen overnight. With that said I don’t blame the dog hunters and I wish them success. Just wish the DNR had given a little more thought to the timing.
If you do your leg work, find a bunch of acorns falling and bear scat, don't hunt opening morning, because most of the time they are there when you arrive and spook them.. come in very quite about 2:00 in the evening, set up on the sign and kill him the first evening.. everybody that truly hunts these mountains know that the evening is the best time to kill one of these furry critters, see almost all the bear I see every year in the last three hours of daylight. I killed a bunch of them and only two were taken in the morning, and they all were killed while I was deer hunting not bear hunting. We gonna have a bear dog hunt!! Period, done deal!! No since in keeping on harping about it. They deserve a season just as well as you and I.. if you need another place to hunt those nine days while they have that bear hunt, pm me and I can point you in the right direction. I am just glad we getting a little help to maybe take a few more bear that we hunters are not getting with bow and guns. Every little bit helps us that live here and have to deal with these things year round!

Last edited:

jbogg

If you do your leg work, find a bunch of acorns falling and bear scat, don't hunt opening morning, because most of the time they are there when you arrive and spook them.. come in very quite about 2:00 in the evening, set up on the sign and kill him the first evening.. everybody that truly hunts these mountains know that the evening is the best time to kill one of these furry critters, see almost all the bear I see every year in the last three hours of daylight. I killed a bunch of them and only two were taken in the morning, and they all were killed while I was deer hunting not bear hunting. We gonna have a bear dog hunt!! Period, done deal!! No since in keeping on harping about it. They deserve a season just as well as you and I.. if you need another place to hunt those nine days while they have that bear hunt, pm me and I can point you in the right direction. I am just glad we getting a little help to maybe take a few more bear that we hunters are getting with bow and guns. Every little bit helps us that live here and have to deal with these things year round!
Thanks for the offer, but I do have plenty of spots on NF to hunt bear. I was mainly raising a stink because I do not want to see this hunt expanded to include all of Chattahoochee NF as well during the same time period. Push the hunt back a month or two and they can run the entire NF as far as I’m concerned, just don’t have it two weeks into bow season.