Doing some upgrades

zedex

Gator Bait
I have a 10ft Pelican Pursuit 100, just a base model that I got while in Ga a couple months ago and I have fun with it.

When I got it, it was just a yak- nothing more. But, right away, I added a Scotty mounted rod holder. It is a very nice unit as it can swivel and lock in nearly any position. But, I notice a few things, most notably I needed a dip/landing net, yet I had nowhere to store one.

Looking on pelican's website, I saw the Pursuit and that they offered a Sport model. The differences were a front mounted rod holder and behind the seat were two flush mounts. Other than that, there is no difference. Those rod holders were enough to add $250 to the price tag.

In my last post in the yak section, I asked for advice regarding paddles. I bought one in Bwk at the West Marine. It paddles much better.

I am back on the west coast now and am getting it ready for the upcoming season so I figured now is the time to make a few changes. So, today, I went shopping.

I found West Marine has flush mounts for yaks with the bottom sealed off. I got two. Now I have a spare rod holder and net holder. I also got a Pirranha 160 portable fish finder and a handheld VHF radio.

The flush mounted rod holders are about 8-10 inches deep and come with a gasket, no mounting screws. I will mount these like Pelican did on the Sport models.

The fish finder is dual beam, 100RMS watts, 800 watts peak. The transducer is suction cup mounted and removable. The unit is self contained in that it has it's own power source and is rechargable. A single charge is said to last about 20 hours fishing time. It comes in a soft case that can be fastened to the yak by way of bungies or you can remove from the soft case and mount or locate as required.

My train of thought for the transducer is to use a waterproof contact cement and pernamently glue the suction cup and leave the transducer to be removed from suction mount. The fish finder unit, I was thinking to place on the floor around where my knees would be. { The Scotty rod holder is directly in front of me.}

The handheld would be for those few times when the water here would be calm enough to fish offshore abit.

Here's the link to the fish finder:
http://store.humminbird.com/products/356812/PiranhaMAX_160_Portable

The VHF radio:
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...toreNum=50157&subdeptNum=50158&classNum=50160

Rod holders:
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...toreNum=50596&subdeptNum=50620&classNum=50624

The paddle set I got in Bwk:
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...toreNum=50596&subdeptNum=50620&classNum=50624

Next up is building some sort of anchoring system. We have strong currents that can take you off the fish and 2 miles away in no time. I had a little anchor like those advertised for yaks on a 15ft 'glass boat, but the ocean and rivers are rock bed and that type anchor nearly got my boat flipped when it hung on the rocks during an incoming tide. So, that type anchor is no good here- especially for a yak. I am considering using a 10lb cannon ball {downrigger type}, but shallow water is rare around here. Just a few yards off the shore, you can be in 40ft or 800ft depths. Lots of serious drop-offs. The issue is where would I put all that rope. Even 20lb test rope would be alot in a yak.

Maybe a drift sock would be better, but considering current strength, it may be worse. Anyone use one on their yak??

I will post pix of my boat when I am done with the upgrades. Hopefully we won't get snow and the rain will quit for a few days.

Most of you are thinking I am spending alot of money and time on this and you are right. I could go get a nice sit-on, but around here, I am easily looking at between $2500-6000. Kayaks, boats and the like are NOT cheap here. Even used, you are not getting one for less than $1200-1500. So I am doing what I can with what I got.

zedex

Gator Bait
Thanks for the link. I blasted it through it but looks informative.

There are a few places I'd like to go with the yak, but because of fast tunring conditions, will wait til I get in a large boat. In most areas here, getting past the breakers is an impossibility.

One thing I'd like to do is get a group together and paddle from Port Angeles WA to Victoria BC and back. This crosses the Strait of Juan De Fuca and the ope Pacific is just a few miles out. If I can get it together, we will most ceratinly have a guide boat with us. The waves are pretty stout and can sometimes end up as whitecaps, but mostly for fatigue and in the event an orca flips anyone.

I neglected to mention that on the flush mounts, I am going to use small nut&bolt sets to mount them, but I will also have one small eye bolt for each holder. This way, I can use a bungie to secure the rods in the event of roll over or rough waters.

One guy that works at West Marine here is an avid yak fisher and another friend is always out on his yak with his dad on his own. They can be out paddling most anyday and the son loves fishing so going alone isn't much a concern.

If I can get a larger yak, I'd like to mount a downrigger for deep trolling. Scotty has some mini riggers that don't weigh much but can carry upwards of 400ft of cable. But, I can imagine pulling a 10 pound cannon ball would be difficult.