Done on the corn debate

Possum

Banned
I’ve never heard the QDM organization promote supplemental feeding as someone posted.

I think ethics has always been the main concern of those who are against it.

Everybody for it says hunt how you want and let me hunt how I want. But it’s not as simple as that. Because how others hunt has an effect on the future of hunting.

If the state allowed deer hunting at night, deer hunting with poison and deer hunting by drones how would hunters respond? I’d hope we would all speak up loudly against it. I’m sure the non hunting public would. And if we didn’t speak up loudly against it, it’s would nt be long before the “sport” of hunting disappears.

So what is the difference in baiting, food plotting, calling deer. They all are similar in that it is the hunter luring the deer in for the kill. But only one has ever been illegal. The reason it has been illegal is because deer hunting is a sport and the public has always considered bait as unsportsmanlike. You can say it’s the same as scents, lures and foodplots but it’s not in most people’s opinion.

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
You're right....they call themselves food plotters....like there is a difference. After all it's totally natural to see a plowed and planted field in the middle of the woods. :crazy::crazy:

There are those in there too. There's a lot of difference where a deer is concerned. Not much where hunting is concerned. Troll on that.

across the river

There's no judgement to be made. One wasn't made. One end of the spectrum is the hunter, who just hunts. The other end is the farmer. The baiter lies somewhere along the line in the middle. You can place that where you like. Ignorance is trying to read more into something than is there, and throwing an insult. The labeling didn't come from me. I'm not here to argue. I'm tired of arguing. Tired of reading it.

I didn't claim a skill level, how long or where I hunted, how I hunted, or know a guy, or judge a guy in a box stand, how he teaches his kids to hunt. My ego was nonexistent, as well as my ignorance. I'm actually ticked off at myself for commenting on another thread that mentions bait.

No one is throwing an insult, so don't get offended. It as forum for discussion, so that is what I was doing. No where did I say you thought you were better than anyone or that you had an ego. I was responding to your post.

I go by the actually meaning of words, so I read,
"There's no such thing as an anti baiter. Only hunters and baiters," as it is written.

That statement is not true, simply by the definitions of the words. Look them up in a dictionary if you don't believe me. I apologize for using the term ignorant. I should have used misinformed or incorrect as to not offend anyone. I sometimes forget that people are way more sensitive nowadays, even on Redneck Outdoor Forums. I read a thread on here the other day where the term redneck is now offensive, so I scratched that term as well.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I’m in a lease in southern zone and have been for 20 something years and I think our hog population is actually lower , a lot more get killed by deer hunters now that baiting is legal , one thing I can guarantee is they are a lot fatter and better eating !

gabowman

I hear ya Possum. I am old enough to remember back when the recurve guys felt so hateful towards compound bows and their users becoming legal too. Remember that war?!? And not even to mention the way crossbow shooters have been (and in some cases still are being...) treated like they were some sort of outcast. Is this war still going on between the Elitest and the pro baiters in South Ga now. I think not. It has subsided much like the compounds and the crossbows have. Right now it's just a bunch of opinions from some calling it unethical and some that don't. Like been mentioned a thousand times over already....if you don't like it then don't do it. Simple as that because it is fixing to become legal. And if by a very slight chance that it doesn't....then I will pull my feeders out of the woods the end of August like I do every year and get 'em started back up all over again come the first of Feb next year.

humdandy

Banned
I planted corn in the mid to late 90s. We would often grab 5 gallon buckets and move corn from one field to another and hunt. Guess I've been a master baiter for over 20 years.

across the river

I’ve never heard the QDM organization promote supplemental feeding as someone posted.

Everybody for it says hunt how you want and let me hunt how I want. But it’s not as simple as that. Because how others hunt has an effect on the future of hunting.

If the state allowed deer hunting at night, deer hunting with poison and deer hunting by drones how would hunters respond? I’d hope we would all speak up loudly against it. I’m sure the non hunting public would. And if we didn’t speak up loudly against it, it’s would nt be long before the “sport” of hunting disappears.

So what is the difference in baiting, food plotting, calling deer. They all are similar in that it is the hunter luring the deer in for the kill. But only one has ever been illegal. The reason it has been illegal is because deer hunting is a sport and the public has always considered bait as unsportsmanlike. You can say it’s the same as scents, lures and foodplots but it’s not in most people’s opinion.

They have baited deer in Texas for years, and still have plenty of deer. Ohio, Kansas, Wisconsin, and any other number of sites allow baiting deer. The people there don't consider it "unsportsmanlike," at least not the majority. If baiting would make the sport "disappear", it would have already disappeared in those places, but it hasn't. The sport almost disappeared at one time in the early 1900's when deer were nearly extinct, but that didn't happen from people hunting over corn pile. It happened from lack of habitat and over harvest. 15 people hunting 200 acres with no corn will have way more impact and will make the deer "disappear", at least locally, way before the guy down the road hunting 500 acres by himself over corn will. You can't make an argument strictly from your point of view. Like I have said before, I have never killed a deer over corn and would honestly have no problem with it if they did ban it again. At the same time though, I know plenty of people who do, and from a having legitimate reason standpoint, the is really no good argument for me to make case for why they shouldn't be able to if they want to. Will it make deer disappear? No. Will is cause CWD to spread more rapidly,? I can't find any real evidence to say it will. In fact this sentence comes from a scientific article that supports banning baiting, "Consequently, there is no single comprehensive study or paper that, by itself, demonstrates the CWD-related effects of baiting and feeding of wild deer (good or bad)." When they have evidence I will reconsider. Will it affect my hunting since I don't bait? I've killed a pile of deer, in both the Northern and Southern Zone with corn in the stomach, even though I wasn't baiting myself. So what reason do I have to tell someone else they shouldn't hunt over bait? I really don't have a reason. Hunting over bait isn't hunting, hunting over baiting isn't sportsmanslike, and hunting over corn isn't hunting are opinions and nothing more. When someone can provide real evidence that feeding and or baiting is bad, I might change my opinion. Until then I really don't have a reason to tell someone else what they should or they shouldn't do it.

Possum

Banned
They have baited deer in Texas for years, and still have plenty of deer. Ohio, Kansas, Wisconsin, and any other number of sites allow baiting deer. The people there don't consider it "unsportsmanlike," at least not the majority. If baiting would make the sport "disappear", it would have already disappeared in those places, but it hasn't. The sport almost disappeared at one time in the early 1900's when deer were nearly extinct, but that didn't happen from people hunting over corn pile. It happened from lack of habitat and over harvest. 15 people hunting 200 acres with no corn will have way more impact and will make the deer "disappear", at least locally, way before the guy down the road hunting 500 acres by himself over corn will. You can't make an argument strictly from your point of view. Like I have said before, I have never killed a deer over corn and would honestly have no problem with it if they did ban it again. At the same time though, I know plenty of people who do, and from a having legitimate reason standpoint, the is really no good argument for me to make case for why they shouldn't be able to if they want to. Will it make deer disappear? No. Will is cause CWD to spread more rapidly,? I can't find any real evidence to say it will. In fact this sentence comes from a scientific article that supports banning baiting, "Consequently, there is no single comprehensive study or paper that, by itself, demonstrates the CWD-related effects of baiting and feeding of wild deer (good or bad)." When they have evidence I will reconsider. Will it affect my hunting since I don't bait? I've killed a pile of deer, in both the Northern and Southern Zone with corn in the stomach, even though I wasn't baiting myself. So what reason do I have to tell someone else they shouldn't hunt over bait? I really don't have a reason. Hunting over bait isn't hunting, hunting over baiting isn't sportsmanslike, and hunting over corn isn't hunting are opinions and nothing more. When someone can provide real evidence that feeding and or baiting is bad, I might change my opinion. Until then I really don't have a reason to tell someone else what they should or they shouldn't do it.

Texas allows turkey hunting with high powered rifles in the fall. I hope we don’t look to other states as a guide on what we should allow in GA.

My point about sportsmanship is that the state decides how easy to make killing deer. They could eventually go extreme and have basically no limit on how to kill a deer. What if they allowed remote triggered net guns? There would be a lot of people who would use em to get that big buck.

Many hunters just want it to remain a traditional sport. All sports have rules that keep scoring from being too easy.

Making things easier doesn’t make them more enjoyable. It would be like widening goal posts in football, lowering the net in basketball and allowing aluminum bats in Major League Baseball.

Major Wader

And what would be wrong with fall turkey hunting? It's restricted to gobblers in Texas. I got two Rio Grande birds last fall.

Major Wader

I ask because I hunt one spot on my place that has way too many birds. I've seen a flock in the fall that had over 25 birds in it, gobblers and hens mixed.

Possum

Banned
And what would be wrong with fall turkey hunting? It's restricted to gobblers in Texas. I got two Rio Grande birds last fall.

I would say shooting a turkey with a high powered rifle is less challenging than with a shotgun. Not that there is anything wrong with a fall season. I would prefer the state set limits on methods of killing to keep the sport of hunting more challenging. This will also improve public opinion.

I understand the mentality of the “do it your way, I’ll do it mine” can crowd.

But it’s kind of like racing cars, there are rules in place that keeps everyone equal as possible. If a rule changes, say a smaller restricter plate, those that don’t participate get left in the back. So everyone changes to keep up with the times.

Once corn is legal it will become the main way people hunt deer, just like it is in TX.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Back years ago crossbows were seen as a poacher weapon. The general thought was people would kill all the deer in archery season and there would be none left in a few years. All you had to do was cock it and shoot any deer you see like using a rifle. If you even mentioned legalizing the crossbow you were branded a poacher.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master

You need to visit the QDMA headquarters in Bogart then. Their land is slap covered up with all sorts of food plots to see which crop and method of planting the deer hit best. Yes, that is a supplemental feeding program. Sorghum and Sunflowers don't just grow out in the woods all own their own. ;)

Possum

Banned
You need to visit the QDMA headquarters in Bogart then. Their land is slap covered up with all sorts of food plots to see which crop and method of planting the deer hit best. Yes, that is a supplemental feeding program. Sorghum and Sunflowers don't just grow out in the woods all own their own. ;)

Ok sorry I wasn’t more specific. They don’t promote pouring deer feed from a bag into a feeder.
Feeding deer can raise the carrying capacity of an area and then if the human stops pouring the bags into the feeders the land is left with more deer than it can feed.
Sorghum may not be a native grass but it is similar to native grasses that deer evolved to live on in the warm season. A thousand years ago fire would Sweep thorough just about every inch of GA every few years creating clearings, and grassy areas. Man is the one who has unnaturally created large mature forests and eliminated most of the native grasses from the whitetail’s diet. A deers body chemistry is not suited to eat Golden Deer Nuggets from tractor supply. Food plots and habitat manipulation are more natural in that they will only support a certain number of deer and unless a person sprays it with roundup it’s going to provide some food year round.