Don't Break My Heart...

IF I BUILD IT... WILL THEY COME???

My wife and I recently purchased 30 acres in the Toombs/Appling/Tattnall county area. The property is 8ish miles (bird flight) from the Altamaha, and less than that from the Ohoopee rivers. The area is saturated with farm ponds and has a fair amount of agriculture. Our property is rolling hills, and covered with dense cover. The water shed keeps the bottom puddled up nearly year around, and the run off feeds the neighboring property owners 4 acre pond. Luckily his pond dam keeps roughly and acre or more of our place flooded. This wet weather creek is full of the "Ogeechee lime trees" and we harvested 15 hooded mergansers during the '17 season. Most every evening, the place would just swarm with woodies. However, all coming in to roost and they would be gone prior to first light. So this leads me to my reasoning for this post....

I will be having heavy equipment on site to clear the house pad, property lines, and road ways. I have a small 18" culvert slap square center of the property, and an almost irresistible potential to build a 1-3 acre "official puddle duck" impoundment. THIS WILL NOT BE CHEAP.... I AM NOT RICH... a lot of big trees, and low land. However, I'm dreaming of many Thanksgiving mornings on dry Levies with 24" of flooded millet, on my own turf, with my young boys folding up triple banded birds till 11.... I have hunted Georgia for years... I understand the severity of my previous statement...

Has anyone ever had success with wet soil management for ducks in south Georgia...... I really hope the answer is yes....

JackSprat

If that "low land" is seasonally flooded by the river, you want to move cautiously about removing vegetation and doing grading work in that zone.

Very True,... this particular property is all rain water. Unnamed, uncharted, step across, branch that appears to basically be water shed and ditch fed. The river or any other creek does not effect the water levels. But very valid point. Thanks

Mexican Squealer

Water control is the key to moist soil management. Proper draw down and disking can result in phenomenal amounts of great duck food. Learn all you can about smartweed, barnyard grass, sprangle top and wild millets. There are definitely no guarantees in attracting waterfowl but quality food sources and total control of draw down will be a solid start. Build as big an impoundment as you can and get a copy of the handbook below. Good luck with your project.CCD6B85B-1F81-4004-BC8C-C676A2F7C7FD.jpeg

Last edited: