Double down and limited...OUT!!!

Larry Young Jr

Well don't know how to start this post, But to said, it was ONE of the best hunts with my Dad. It started with getting draw for Piedmont National Wildlife Refuge, Dad and I have been hunting PNWR for over 40 Years. But this was the best hunt we have every had there. I started Wed. hunting looking for area I could get my dad in and hoping it would have some turkeys. My dad is 84 and is handicap. He can only walk about 100 yards and that takes him about 45 mins to do that. So Wednesday after hunting , I went looking and found area that just look like a place a turkey would hang out. I found area that look awesome and easy place to get him in there. Thursday a good buddy of mine and I went down hunted another area and chase a few birds with no luck. after hunting we went by the area again and he agreed it looked good.
Friday morning came, Picked dad up at 3:45 and off we went. Got to the area around 4:45 and I carried our Double bull blind, his chair, guns and decoys. Got it all set up and went back to help dad walk to the blind. Got him in the blind at 6:25 and got ready to start our hunt. The woods started to lighten up with the raise of the sun.
Then around 6:50 we heard a turkey Gobble, then a min. later 2 turkeys gobbled. When the sun got up where you could see really good, we started hearing the turkeys gobbling, but was going up the ridge behind us. Then around 20 mins. passed' I made a call and heard 3 different turkeys gobble at the same time. This time they kept gobbling and was coming back down the ridge they went up. They gobbled all the way down the ridge and down into the creek bottom. Then they got quiet.
Then I waited about 10 mins. and made a call, They gobbled right back. This went on for about 45 mins off and on. Then they went quiet again. So I figured they were hen up like all the other birds I chase this week. I stopped calling and dad looked at me and said well I guess your calling wasn't sexy enough for them. I laugh and grab a bottle water and started drinking and dad said, I see one and he has a long beard too. I looked and saw that bird and another one and they were come up our way. They were coming, I was helping dad get his gun up on it rest. We lost the birds in the thick stuff that was along the creek. We were looking for them in the thick stuff and dad said , here they come, I looked here they came running up to the decoys. The biggest bird started strutting and walking. When we hunt like this, who every is sitting on the left shoots the bird on the left and the one on the right shoots the bird on the right. Dad said I can't get on the one on the right and I said shoot the one the left and bang and threw the smoke of his flintlock I see the bird hit the ground. I told him set back, he did and I stuck my shot gun out of the blind and at 30 yards I rolled my bird. Day got his bird and I got my third. Dad's bird weight 17+ lbs. with 11" beard with 1" spurs and my was 15+ lbs. with 9 1/2" beard 1/2" spurs.IMG_3526.JPG

Big7

The Oracle
Smack down with a smoke pole. Cool. Glad you and your Dad whacked them good!

Buckman18

Awesome!

Well don't know how to start this post, But to said, it was ONE of the best hunts with my Dad. It started with getting draw for Piedmont National Wildlife Refuge, Dad and I have been hunting PNWR for over 40 Years. But this was the best hunt we have every had there. I started Wed. hunting looking for area I could get my dad in and hoping it would have some turkeys. My dad is 84 and is handicap. He can only walk about 100 yards and that takes him about 45 mins to do that. So Wednesday after hunting , I went looking and found area that just look like a place a turkey would hang out. I found area that look awesome and easy place to get him in there. Thursday a good buddy of mine and I went down hunted another area and chase a few birds with no luck. after hunting we went by the area again and he agreed it looked good.
Friday morning came, Picked dad up at 3:45 and off we went. Got to the area around 4:45 and I carried our Double bull blind, his chair, guns and decoys. Got it all set up and went back to help dad walk to the blind. Got him in the blind at 6:25 and got ready to start our hunt. The woods started to lighten up with the raise of the sun.
Then around 6:50 we heard a turkey Gobble, then a min. later 2 turkeys gobbled. When the sun got up where you could see really good, we started hearing the turkeys gobbling, but was going up the ridge behind us. Then around 20 mins. passed' I made a call and heard 3 different turkeys gobble at the same time. This time they kept gobbling and was coming back down the ridge they went up. They gobbled all the way down the ridge and down into the creek bottom. Then they got quiet.
Then I waited about 10 mins. and made a call, They gobbled right back. This went on for about 45 mins off and on. Then they went quiet again. So I figured they were hen up like all the other birds I chase this week. I stopped calling and dad looked at me and said well I guess your calling wasn't sexy enough for them. I laugh and grab a bottle water and started drinking and dad said, I see one and he has a long beard too. I looked and saw that bird and another one and they were come up our way. They were coming, I was helping dad get his gun up on it rest. We lost the birds in the thick stuff that was along the creek. We were looking for them in the thick stuff and dad said , here they come, I looked here they came running up to the decoys. The biggest bird started strutting and walking. When we hunt like this, who every is sitting on the left shoots the bird on the left and the one on the right shoots the bird on the right. Dad said I can't get on the one on the right and I said shoot the one the left and bang and threw the smoke of his flintlock I see the bird hit the ground. I told him set back, he did and I stuck my shot gun out of the blind and at 30 yards I rolled my bird. Day got his bird and I got my third. Dad's bird weight 17+ lbs. with 11" beard with 1" spurs and my was 15+ lbs. with 9 1/2" beard 1/2" spurs.View attachment 965999

congrats you have been blessed to a point you will never forget this one. Awesome!

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I agree with Brian.... best hunt of the year for the forum , and if getting it done at 84 isn’t cool enough pops got it done with a flintlock , you put in the work and it paid off , congrats on a fine memory ! Great pictures to !

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Dang, that's awesome! Tough to get better than that! Congrats!

DSGB

Congrats to you and your dad! Doesn't get much better than that!

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
Congrats to you both. The fact your Dad put forth the effort it required, and you taking the time is awesome. I bet you made him feel 50 years younger that day. That picture is always going to be priceless. Especially with the flintlock in it. Great story for sure.

Ihunt

One of the best stories ever. Can only be topped with children. Congrats to both of you. If I’m still above the grass at that age, I hope my son still takes me out for something.

Nitram4891

Flop Thief
Congrats to both of you! Awesome

ADDICTED2HUNTIN

That was an awesome story! Congrats to you and your dad! Hope I'm still able to move enough at that age to do this!