Double dries

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Never saw the need to throw double dries. What situation would require that you do this?

whitetailfreak

I fish two dries on occasion when I'm having a hard time seeing my primary fly in low light conditions. If it's late evening and I'm fishin' a hard to see Grey Hackle Yellow, I may have a much more visible Thunderhead or Parachute Adams leading.

Last edited:

Taxman

I was just curious. Sometimes I will tie a 2nd dry on for a different fly
presentation. Usually very short cast in small water. I can't say if it
is any more effective than just one, thus the question.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
I fish two dries on occasion when I'm having a hard time seeing my primary fly in low light conditions. If it's late evening and I'm fishin' a hard to see Grey Hackle Yellow, I may have a much more visible Thunderhead or Parachute Adams leading.

I occasionally have trouble seeing my fly through the entire drift. This might be a tactic to try.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I imagine you're tying them pretty close together. It seems like if the tippet connecting them is very long, you would introduce too many opportunities to create drag.

TurkeyH90

Yes, only reason I have done it before is I can't see my size 20 fly so tie on an indicator fly keep up with it.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have done that before, but I don't do it very often. I very commonly fish a pair of nymphs or a dry and a nymph, but not two dries very much at all.

bowbuck

I have fished two dries when fishing ants or beetles as the back fly. A big Hopper or foam fly up front gives you visibility and when you see that swirl right behind it you in business.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Okay how far apart do you tie the doubles?