Dow hits 27,000 for first time ever

BeerThirty

Doesn't everyone realize that the S&P 500 almost tripled during Obama's tenure? I voted for Trump, but the market was already rollin' before he made any changes. I do give him credit for what he's doing today.

Doesn't everyone realize that the S&P 500 almost tripled during Obama's tenure? I voted for Trump, but the market was already rollin' before he made any changes. I do give him credit for what he's doing today.
I don't know about "rollin". It was one of the slowest recoveries ever and it didn't really accelerate until after Obama was out of office. I don't credit Obama with that nor do I credit Trump with that. The only thing government can do to help the private sector is for them to get out of our way. The reason they are in government in the first place is because they couldn't make it in the private sector.

John Kennedy had something to say about that phenomenon in his book "Profiles In Courage". His observation was the guys at Harvard who were A students all went on to become college professors and politicians and the guys who were C students all went on to become millionaires. Being a C student myself I can attest to that fact although I'm a hair shy of that first million. They say your first million is the hardest so I'm about to give up on it and move ahead to the second million. That one should be a lot easier. Once I nail down the second one I'll circle back around and knock out that first one. :bounce:

Patriot44

No it wasn't. I work in medicine and big tech. Boma made the bandaid market more important and WAYmore inflated than the pin's, needles and heart transplant markets. And that just is a light wind across the surface. He basically killed the competitive matket in healthcare.

Under Kang Trump, I need about 11 more wordays in the week. I am going foe broke!

BeerThirty

No it wasn't. I work in medicine and big tech. Boma made the bandaid market more important and WAYmore inflated than the pin's, needles and heart transplant markets. And that just is a light wind across the surface. He basically killed the competitive matket in healthcare.

Under Kang Trump, I need about 11 more wordays in the week. I am going foe broke!
I was talking the S&P holistically, which did in fact perform extremely well. Numbers don’t lie.

Balrog

I was talking the S&P holistically, which did in fact perform extremely well. Numbers don’t lie.
I think you need to go back and look at the graph of the S&P since 2008. It was at about 1,500 prior to the Obama election in 2008. By March 2008, it had lost about half its value, down to around 760. By the end of the Obama term, it had risen to about 2,200.

So over the course of 8 yrs of Obama, the S&P only had a net gain of 700 points. It should have doubled during that time and have been closer to 3,000 at the end of the Obama terms.

The S&P has done better under Trump on a average annual gain basis, but the real problem was that it tanked after Obama was elected.

The democrats are trying to use this good news as a wedge with their freeloading base to prove how corporate America is THE problem. And that they need to turn up taxes to fix this "problem ".

They are from planet Uranus.

They dream of having complete overlord status over every aspect of our lives. There is a psychological description of that somewhere I am sure. To my redneck mind; they are just plain old sick.

Wouldn't urinate on them to put out the fire.

DCHunter

They say your first million is the hardest so I'm about to give up on it and move ahead to the second million. That one should be a lot easier. Once I nail down the second one I'll circle back around and knock out that first one. :bounce:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I think you need to go back and look at the graph of the S&P since 2008. It was at about 1,500 prior to the Obama election in 2008. By March 2008, it had lost about half its value, down to around 760. By the end of the Obama term, it had risen to about 2,200.

So over the course of 8 yrs of Obama, the S&P only had a net gain of 700 points. It should have doubled during that time and have been closer to 3,000 at the end of the Obama terms.

The S&P has done better under Trump on a average annual gain basis, but the real problem was that it tanked after Obama was elected.
Why do you want to introduce facts into this debate. You know the left withers when facts come out. Obama was on his way to destroying capitalism, when the clock ran out on him. We were saved by the Bell.

jimbo4116

Retired Moderator
Obama came in when the Markets, i.e., S&P 500 was at the bottom. 680 or so. It took eight years to gain 1300 points.

Trump comes in and it takes 30 months to gain a 1000 points.

Investors never had good feelings while Obama was President.
So far they have been ecstatic since Trump arrived.

GoldDot40

Facts here, people. The S&P was 805 when Obama was sworn into office. It was 2271 when Trump took over.
The reason it was on an uptick at the end of Obama's term is because investors knew he was gone for good. Do you remember what the numbers did on the sole news that Trump had won in 2016?

Patriot44

The reason it was on an uptick at the end of Obama's term is because investors knew he was gone for good. Do you remember what the numbers did on the sole news that Trump had won in 2016?
Exactly! I work in high end medical technology- CEO's actually liked Barroke because he was playing with house money. Hospitals moved from 1% margins to 2 or 3%. Having said that, they were not reinvesting that money back into the systems because they knew it was unsustainable.

Yesterday, I had to call my boss who I never talk to and tell him that I need a break, I can't keep going like this. I make my own schedule, but I also know that this economy won't last forever. I basically told him, there are three of me covering North America (Mexico and Canadia included) and I need help. 2,3,4 and an occasional 8, yes 8 flights a week is killing me.

What is going on right now is actually lifting global numbers. I just sat through a 'State of the Union' from our CEO and the rising tide has infact lifted all boats (countries).