Down side to the baiting bill !

holler tree

well it dawned on me as I rode around the club this weekend. one major setback with this new bill all the clearcuts that I love to shoot dove on are baited to the gills !!! :hammers: :hammers: I'm still a fan of the bill but I will admit it does come with a few side effects :cry:.

Cadcom

I wonder how many of the corn baiters (If any) have been baiting for doves over the years.

jgyfarms

just doesn't make any sense to me that it's okay to bait deer but not dove or turkey...

j_seph

Looks to me then that any field that sits near a hunting club or in the fly zone and has bait on it just shut down that field to dove hunting.

Forest Grump

just doesn't make any sense to me that it's okay to bait deer but not dove or turkey...

Doves are a federally regulated migratory species, so the state can't pass a law allowing baiting when the government prohibits it in other states. Same as ducks.

And yes, it will make for a few opportunities to write tickets on the neighbors during dove shoots.

spurandrack

just doesn't make any sense to me that it's okay to bait deer but not dove or turkey.

Shooting turkeys over bait is not turkey hunting.

s&r

Randy

Shooting turkeys over bait is not turkey hunting.

s&r

Many feel the same way about deer. But it does seem that is you feel baiting is OK for one species, it would be OK for all species.

Ingelri

What gets me is that they allow it in the Southern Zone but not in the Northern Zone. I'd love to be able to use C'Mere Deer or Acorn Rage, but nope, can't do it.

Mike

Randy

What gets me is that they allow it in the Southern Zone but not in the Northern Zone. I'd love to be able to use C'Mere Deer or Acorn Rage, but nope, can't do it.

Mike
You can use some of our Cmere Deer products in the north.

hambone76

I would stop feeding them well in advance to dove season and resume doing so afterward.

GA DAWG

Id fence in part of the clearcut. Put me a calf in there. Feed that calf lots of sunflower seeds for protein and a bunch of cracked corn for fat.

Before you start hunting over your bait make sure you have written permission from the land owner and have it on you while hunting. Did not know if you knew this or not but I read this in the new regulation book and confirmed it by calling the Metter DNR office.