Dr. Assisted Suicide

ryanh487

I have mixed feelings.

I think if you have a medical condition that guarantees a long, slow painful demise and there's no way out of it, that you should have a right to go with your dignity when you're ready to call it quits.

I know for a fact that in hospice care/retirement homes/hospitals that when some elderly are in their last hours of life and in extreme agony and screaming about the pain while their organs shut down, it is not uncommon to put them on a morphine drip that's a little stronger than it should be, or at least start the drip and give them control of the dosage button.

I do not think that a healthy person should end their life whenever they feel like it, at least not with professional assistance. Most folks that attempt suicide and fail regret it later on. Having a doctor assist you would guarantee success and remove that chance for someone to have the epiphany it takes to turn their life around.

ambush80

I have mixed feelings.

I think if you have a medical condition that guarantees a long, slow painful demise and there's no way out of it, that you should have a right to go with your dignity when you're ready to call it quits.

I know for a fact that in hospice care/retirement homes/hospitals that when some elderly are in their last hours of life and in extreme agony and screaming about the pain while their organs shut down, it is not uncommon to put them on a morphine drip that's a little stronger than it should be, or at least start the drip and give them control of the dosage button.

I do not think that a healthy person should end their life whenever they feel like it, at least not with professional assistance. Most folks that attempt suicide and fail regret it later on. Having a doctor assist you would guarantee success and remove that chance for someone to have the epiphany it takes to turn their life around.

How about someone that's tried more than once and says they'll keep trying?

ryanh487

How about someone that's tried more than once and says they'll keep trying?

If they've failed that many times, chances are it's about attention and not about actually killing themselves.

But regardless, Dr's should have no part in ending the life of a physically health individual.

ambush80

Do you think allowing people to purchase drugs to end their life is any different than allowing someone to buy a gun to end their life? 50% of suicides are by firearm. They were absolutely certain about what they wanted. There must be some number of those people who would have chosen to take a lethal drug if they could.

ryanh487

Do you think allowing people to purchase drugs to end their life is any different than allowing someone to buy a gun to end their life? 50% of suicides are by firearm. They were absolutely certain about what they wanted. There must be some number of those people who would have chosen to take a lethal drug if they could.

If you want to try and end your own life by your own hand instead of finding ways to overcome your emotions, I don't like it but go for it.

Having someone else do it is murder. Anyone who would be willing to stick a needle in your arm just because you can't cope is sick in the head and does not belong in society.

ambush80

If you want to try and end your own life by your own hand instead of finding ways to overcome your emotions, I don't like it but go for it.

Having someone else do it is murder. Anyone who would be willing to stick a needle in your arm just because you can't cope is sick in the head and does not belong in society.

What if they're paralyzed and they cant do it themselves?

ryanh487

1) that's not a physically healthy person

2) that's also not a terminal condition. lots of folks live full lives despite paralysis. allowing them to succumb to the emotional/mental side effects of a physical injury is NOT "do not harm".

Israel

BANNED

You could tell them to have patience. And if you have any...give it to them.

ambush80

How can someone who is not in their right mind make a decision to have their life ended? Was it one of the voices in her head telling her to say that or was it her? Was it one of those personalities that crossed the borderline and said to do it?

So if they throw them self in front of a train would that prove to you that they wanted to die?

j_seph

So if they throw them self in front of a train would that prove to you that they wanted to die?

LOL I'd say probably so or the voice in their head said do it.

Israel

BANNED

So what?

There's a superabundance of things people want in occupation of a space from which there is absolutely no place to make legitimate demands upon any other.

Loyalty oaths are one.

Signing or ceremony of agreeing to "Statements of Faith" in order to belong to a "church" (or some other institution) is another.

The only thing men can swear to...is to act like the devil.

Doctor assisted suicide is simply the normal result of what once swore to "Primum non nocere".

Last edited:

WaltL1

I'm all for the concept.
Seems like the "doctor assisted" part could be eliminated if a "get it done quick and clean like" pill could be made available.
The screening process would certainly be a complicated, snarling mass of red tape probably to the point of being like sitting on death row waiting decades for the go ahead.

ambush80

I'm all for the concept.
Seems like the "doctor assisted" part could be eliminated if a "get it done quick and clean like" pill could be made available.
The screening process would certainly be a complicated, snarling mass of red tape probably to the point of being like sitting on death row waiting decades for the go ahead.

So, I asked in the political forum if there should be a waiting period for a pill to kill yourself but not one to get a gun to kill yourself. Is there a difference?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
So, I asked in the political forum if there should be a waiting period for a pill to kill yourself but not one to get a gun to kill yourself. Is there a difference?

Yes. The Constitution doesn't guarantee your right to keep and eat pills.