Dr. Assisted Suicide

ky55

I actually agree with you on this.
IF Christianity had left it at "Hey we believe, that's all that matters, the heck with them, we are going to do our own thing"..... it wouldn't bother me in the least if all Christians wallowed in blissful glory and sunshine together.
Unfortunately Christianity couldn't/wouldnt leave it at that....

This resonates with me. I don’t view evangelicals in the same light as the Amish.

Yep.
I don’t remember any Atheist missionaries traveling the world with salvation at the end of a sword.

WaltL1

Within the group labeled “Christianity” there’s a great deal that have the “hey we believe and that’s all that matters” blissful attitude.

They don’t get involved with all of the political correctness, debating, defending, protesting or even pushing for laws.

They do feel firmly that a lot of our laws were written based on biblical principles and that’s the benchmark for moral standards for society. That’s why you hear “morals” thrown in when a Christian replies.

But looking at it from a legal perspective as atlashunter was pointing out, it’s an acceptable act for society.

I don’t believe that this topic will get much Christian support but again, there’s a bunch of us that it won’t affect if it remains legal or illegal.

My only question is where do we stop making things legal so that it becomes “ok” to do.
Within the group labeled “Christianity” there’s a great deal that have the “hey we believe and that’s all that matters” blissful attitude.
They don’t get involved with all of the political correctness, debating, defending, protesting or even pushing for laws
I agree with you there too.
I'm just not sure that lets them off the hook.
Joining a club/organization is at the very least saying "I might not personally do it but I'm willing to accept my club/organization does it".
I know that it can be a tough spot to be in.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
I agree with you there too.
I'm just not sure that lets them off the hook.
Joining a club/organization is at the very least saying "I might not personally do it but I'm willing to accept my club/organization does it".
I know that it can be a tough spot to be in.

True!!

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Those other groups are minuscule in comparison and aren’t influencing government in ways that impact the rest of us. Your particular group is much larger and more influential so it gets more attention. When Christianity is replaced by the pink unicorn believers and they are making laws we all must deal with based on their silly beliefs

You should take note to that. Maybe the group is much larger for a reason

What reason would that be?

American History.

One of the reasons that settlers came was for freedom of religion.

After the Declaration of Independence, they established the U.S. Constitution and ensured that freedom of religion remained.

The U.S. Constitution has 7 principles, one of those are "Individual Rights" which are guaranteed by the Bill of Rights, the first 10 Amendments to the Constitution - Amendment 1, Freedom of Religion.

I am sure that there have been many debates about the language within the Declaration of Independence that state "to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them" and "all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator".

And don't take this as an attempt trying to prove the existence of God or any gods, that's not the intent.

The only purpose here is to show that the people that came here and established the U.S.A. had religious views and religious principles.

Which is most likely the reason that our govt is influenced with religion.

But when you are singling out "Christianity"....

Can you name any law that Congress has made that respects only the establishment of Christianity?

The last time I asked someone that, gay marriage and school prayer was the answer.

Christianity - is an Abrahamic monotheistic religion based on the life, teachings and purported miracles of Jesus of Nazareth.

Judaism - Jews - Don't fit the Christianity definition.

Islam - Muslim - They don't fit the definition either, and they kill homosexuals.

With the exception of some reformed Jews, and some Christian denominations accepting homosexual marriage.......they all oppose homosexuality.

School prayer, never was a law that required it. It was common practice. History of that will show you that this country was founded on religious principles by those looking for religious freedom.

The Christianity group has just as much right to petition the govt and influence them as any other group, and grow in number to be the larger group.

ambush80

American History.

After the Declaration of Independence, they established the U.S. Constitution and ensured that freedom of religion remained.

The U.S. Constitution has 7 principles, one of those are "Individual Rights" which are guaranteed by the Bill of Rights, the first 10 Amendments to the Constitution - Amendment 1, Freedom of Religion.

I am sure that there have been many debates about the language within the Declaration of Independence that state "to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them" and "all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator".

And don't take this as an attempt trying to prove the existence of God or any gods, that's not the intent.

The only purpose here is to show that the people that came here and established the U.S.A. had religious views and religious principles.

Can you name any law that Congress has made that respects only the establishment of Christianity?

The last time I asked someone that, gay marriage and school prayer was the answer.

Christianity - is an Abrahamic monotheistic religion based on the life, teachings and purported miracles of Jesus of Nazareth.

Islam - Muslim - They don't fit the definition either, and they kill homosexuals.

With the exception of some reformed Jews, and some Christian denominations accepting homosexual marriage.......they all oppose homosexuality.

School prayer, never was a law that required it. It was common practice. History of that will show you that this country was founded on religious principles by those looking for religious freedom.

The Christianity group has just as much right to petition the govt and influence them as any other group, and grow in number to be the larger group.

That is absolutely right. Blue laws are about all that's left.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
That is absolutely right. Blue laws are about all that's left.

And unless I’m mistaken, only 12 states still have Blue laws. But........those were not just for Christianity. Islam forbids alcohol.

Christianity, Islam and Judaism all have days of rest.

A little history research will show you that blue laws affecting us started or were carried on with settlers.

Last edited:

atlashunter

American History.

Nobody is questioning their right to their beliefs nor their right to self government. But when their influence pushes against my own views then expect a push back. Laws that favor Christianity? Not as many as there once were fortunately. Now the pushing tends to be at the local and state level. Sometimes it’s annoying but benign like government endorsements of a religious viewpoint on government property or currency. Other times it’s more pernicious like the effort to replace science with mythology in the classroom, laws that criminalize what one consumes, laws that criminalize commerce at certain religious times, and provisions in state constitutions that restrict the holding of public office to theists.

atlashunter

And unless I’m mistaken, only 12 states still have Blue laws. But........those were not just for Christianity. Islam forbids alcohol.

Christianity, Islam and Judaism all have days of rest.

A little history research will show you that blue laws affecting us started or were carried on with settlers.

Maybe atheists should reciprocate with a particular day that bibles and other religious paraphernalia may not be purchased. Now that we’ve established it’s ok to use the law to inconvenience others that don’t hold our views on the gods.

Israel

BANNED
Maybe atheists should reciprocate with a particular day that bibles and other religious paraphernalia may not be purchased. Now that we’ve established it’s ok to use the law to inconvenience others that don’t hold our views on the gods.

I see that...if a thing is legal to purchase 6 days of the week, why prohibit it on some other day? Prohibition had already been shown to do little more than line the pockets of those willing to stack up bodies in efforts to get around it, and pave the way for more grievous forms of corruption. It's almost always a sure bet that if you want men to do something, make a law against it...and they'll come a'flocking.
So, if you want to create more of a demand for Bibles ...or smuggling of them...and raise up an Elliot Ness for today "Hey, those aren't copies of The God Delusion! They're just printing up fake covers! Get the matches..." well...granny's in jail for distribution...
again.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader

I’d be ok with that. I dont support blue laws anyway. Im just saying that blue laws date back to our Founders. Now, are you still questioning biblical influences on laws?