Dress code at church?

GeauxLSU

Senior Member
7401R said:
What is the difference between a $50.00 pair of Tommy shorts and a $50.00 pair of Tommy slacks? They are both equally nice.

7
The same difference between a $15 pair of Duckhead shorts and a $100 pair of Linen shorts.

Some of you guys are trying to make this a 'class' issue or monetary issue. It is NO SUCH THING. To be honest, that's a little disingenuous and shameful to try and make it that. :rolleyes:

Why did Moses take his sandals off when in the presence of God?

We use the phrase 'lowering the bar' often to describe the 'anything goes' mentality of society in general. It's not lowered it's in free fall. :( I almost have what can now only be described as a morbid curiosity to see what the world will be like when my son is an adult (if the Lord sees fit to keep me around). :confused:
 

PWalls

Senior Member
GeauxLSU said:
We use the phrase 'lowering the bar' often to describe the 'anything goes' mentality of society in general. It's not lowered it's in free fall. :( I almost have what can now only be described as a morbid curiosity to see what the world will be like when my son is an adult (if the Lord sees fit to keep me around). :confused:
Sadly, I imagine that our parents had the same morbid curiousity. Wonder what their opinion is now?
 
Just a few thoughts..........

You will not find in the Bible a dress code for the current day Church, but you can find many examples in the Old Testament where God instructed and required for anyone coming into the temple to worship to dress accordingly. This can be found all through the book of Leviticus and I can relate the Temble in the same manner as the Church. All of this talk of being comfortable makes me wonder whatever happened to humility. Peter said in his wrings that we should be clothed with humility and God would give grace to the humble..... not the comfortable. God also told Joshua to tell the children of Israel to sanctify (to set apart to a sacred purpose) themselves and he would do wonders among them. Church is not ALL about feeling good but more about worshipping and giving reverance to our Lord and Savior. I preach in a suit and tie every Sunday and yes it is hot and uncomfortable, but I'm pretty sure my Savior wasn't comfortable on that cross he bare for me either.
 

SBG

Senior Member
GeauxLSU said:
We use the phrase 'lowering the bar' often to describe the 'anything goes' mentality of society in general. It's not lowered it's in free fall. :( I almost have what can now only be described as a morbid curiosity to see what the world will be like when my son is an adult (if the Lord sees fit to keep me around). :confused:
That is a good point Phil. That is the way this needs to be addressed. The bar is continually being lowered.

I can't imagine this discussion taking place before the '60s. You know, the "cultural" revolution. That great period that attacked our traditional culture with such themes as, "if it feels good, do it"; "fight the power"; "Jesus is cool" etc. It is this cultural revolution that has permeated our schools, and now unfortunately, our Churches, with social modernism. That is why it is now considered okay for teenage boys to wear their shorts below their waste exposing their underwear and we accept it with the notion that it is a natural shift in social mores.

There are some things that are evident by-products of the cultural revolution:

1. Tradition is a thing of the past. (if it feels good, do it)

2. Established and accepted standards of decency are no longer relevant. Don't tell me what to do!(fight the power)

3. The thought that Jesus is somehow this ambivalent friend that we hang out with sometimes.(Jesus is cool)

4. In another couple of generations, our "southern gentleman" heritage will be gone.
 
Though this thread has taken on multiple themes/agendas (as I'd suspect any conversation would going down this many trails). But, one of my questions concerning dressing in a fashion that is acceptable, appropriate, humble, mature, and etc as the thread has implied... Mainly, dressing in a way that is our best to honor God... What or who is the dictator of what is fashionable to honor God?
 
7

7401R

Guest
GeauxLSU said:
The same difference between a $15 pair of Duckhead shorts and a $100 pair of Linen shorts.

Some of you guys are trying to make this a 'class' issue or monetary issue. It is NO SUCH THING. To be honest, that's a little disingenuous and shameful to try and make it that. :rolleyes:

Why did Moses take his sandals off when in the presence of God?

We use the phrase 'lowering the bar' often to describe the 'anything goes' mentality of society in general. It's not lowered it's in free fall. :( I almost have what can now only be described as a morbid curiosity to see what the world will be like when my son is an adult (if the Lord sees fit to keep me around). :confused:
I ask this question only because it is repeatedly stated in the thread...."the nicest you have"..."the best you have".....I took these statements to be addressing the quality. Nicest and best would imply superiority in one or more characteristics. What underlying characteristic am I missing?

Not once in this thread have I seen one post that establishes what about modest shorts makes them unacceptable attire. It cannot be the length....otherwise tunics in Biblical times and knee length dresses on women today would be unacceptable.


7
 
Last edited:

GeauxLSU

Senior Member
7401R said:
I ask this question only because it is repeatedly stated in the thread...."the nicest you have"..."the best you have".....I took these statements to be addressing the quality. What underlying meaning of these statements am I missing?


7
For MOST people, shorts are for recreational activity or 'worse' (yard work etc...). For MOST people, slacks are for times that require something a little more dignified (like Church).

I can't believe anyone is going to seriously contend that shorts is the 'nicest' thing or even more absurdly, the ONLY thing that a persno has to wear to church. Again, people are throwing up that as a smokescreen to get around the REAL issue we are talking about and it's not the destitute. Not a Christian church in the world I'm familiar with that would shun anybody for wearing whatever the best is they have is.
 

SBG

Senior Member
GeauxLSU said:
For MOST people, shorts are for recreational activity or 'worse' (yard work etc...). For MOST people, slacks are for times that require something a little more dignified (like Church).

I can't believe anyone is going to seriously contend that shorts is the 'nicest' thing or even more absurdly, the ONLY thing that a persno has to wear to church. Again, people are throwing up that as a smokescreen to get around the REAL issue we are talking about and it's not the destitute. Not a Christian church in the world I'm familiar with that would shun anybody for wearing whatever the best is they have is.
Yep!:clap:

Not once in this thread have I seen one post that establishes what about modest shorts makes them unacceptable attire
7...with all due respect, it has. I am sorry that for whatever the reason, you refuse to see it...don't feel bad though, you are not unique.::;
 
billyjames said:
I'm really trying to plug in. If I concede and wear a nice, button down collar and the best pair of slacks I have (And maybe even a tie and sport coat at Easter), can I still wear my Birkenstocks and still be reverent and worshipful?
I think this one got buried under all the amen, adda' boy posts... Sunday's coming and I've got my shirt cleaned and starched, my slacks nicely ironed, but I'd sure like to know if I'm going to be appropriately dressed if I wear my sandals... Church folk - Say ye?
 

leroy

Senior Member
GeauxLSU said:
For MOST people, shorts are for recreational activity or 'worse' (yard work etc...). For MOST people, slacks are for times that require something a little more dignified (like Church).

I can't believe anyone is going to seriously contend that shorts is the 'nicest' thing or even more absurdly, the ONLY thing that a persno has to wear to church. Again, people are throwing up that as a smokescreen to get around the REAL issue we are talking about and it's not the destitute. Not a Christian church in the world I'm familiar with that would shun anybody for wearing whatever the best is they have is.

Guess I'm not like MOST folks because in the summer months 85% of the time I have on shorts. I ,as I said in one of my first posts on this, wear some type of slacks on Sun. morning but usually shorts on sun night and for sure on wed night. If we go out you guessed it shorts, if they want let me in with shorts I ain't going.
 
7

7401R

Guest
GeauxLSU said:
For MOST people, shorts are for recreational activity or 'worse' (yard work etc...). For MOST people, slacks are for times that require something a little more dignified (like Church).

I can't believe anyone is going to seriously contend that shorts is the 'nicest' thing or even more absurdly, the ONLY thing that a persno has to wear to church. Again, people are throwing up that as a smokescreen to get around the REAL issue we are talking about and it's not the destitute. Not a Christian church in the world I'm familiar with that would shun anybody for wearing whatever the best is they have is.
Congrats Phil !!

I have said all along that I do not wear shorts to church and I really have never done this and have absolutely no intention of ever doing it. I have tried with my posts to get someone to say the word that Phil used in his last reply.

Phil, you are absolutely right when you say that shorts lack the dignity to be worn at church. This is the major difference (in regards to church) between nice shorts and slacks. I feel that it is disrepectful to GOD and other members of the church to enter the sanctuary wearing shorts because they lack the dignity of more appropriate clothing.

Now, please forgive me for having some of you at a loss trying to understand my position.

7
 
7

7401R

Guest
SBG said:
Yep!:clap:



7...with all due respect, it has. I am sorry that for whatever the reason, you refuse to see it...don't feel bad though, you are not unique.::;
It had not been stated until Phil posted his last reply.

7
 

Flash

Senior Member
billyjames said:
can I still wear my Birkenstocks
I must live on the wrong side of the tracks cause I don't know what Birkenstocks are??? :huh:
 
7

7401R

Guest
billyjames said:
Dignity? So, just who or what sets the standard for his dignity?
In this case, we set the standard as to what and where we place sufficient esteem so as to dignify GOD.

7
 
7401R said:
In this case, we set the standard as to what and where we place sufficient esteem so as to dignify GOD.

7
I'm not sure I follow - Who is WE? You and I? The individual? You and someone else? The church officials? I don't think I'm following who "WE" is...
 

Flash

Senior Member
billyjames said:
Sandals (Maybe I mispelled it???)
I just need to get out more.
 

leroy

Senior Member
billyjames said:
Sandals (Maybe I mispelled it???)

I wear them sometimes to guess I'm a heathen all the way around :D . In our Church as far as I know no one has a problem with shorts or jeans at least on Sun night and wed night but I have seen them on occasion on Sun. morning. So if its not a problem within your Church and you have a clear heart what everyone else thinks is irrelevant.
 
Top