Dress code at church?

leroy

Senior Member
I wore a nice pair of shorts (knee length) and a collared dress shirt to Church tonight and a pair of leather sandal type shoes. I thought of this thread and looked around probably 85% of the people, young and old, in our Church tonight had on some type of jeans. And I thought I can't see God looking down thinking Hmmm there they are in my house with those jeans and shorts on.
 
7

7401R

Guest
GeauxLSU said:
Of course. You can do it in your underwear or bare rear naked if you want. Would you go to church either way?
As I said, some will pretend this is a high horse issue. It's not. It's yet another example of us changing God to suit our selfish needs (we can't be 'bothered' to dress a little nicer for church?!?!). As he said "Will you not stay awake with me but one hour?"
We hear it all. "Well I don't need to go to church and if I go I sure don't need to dress like I'm going...."
It's amazing how we define God based on our selfish desires isn't it? It's not ALL good.
Is it really asking so much to dress respectfully to entire the house of the Lord who willingly sacrificed Himself for your benefit by hanging until His death on a cross? No, of course He doesn't NEED it. But He most certainly DESERVES it. I guess it's just too much to ask.....
How is this changing GOD?

My point is not to defend wearing shorts as I do not participate in that, but to show that the shorts issue is more religion oriented than spiritual. GOD "DESERVES" that we bring an open and contrite heart to church and that we worship (spiritual event) HIM as the KING that HE is and not to be so caught up in the trappings of religion that such issues as this derails our service to him.

7
 
Last edited:

SBG

Senior Member
Gator1679 said:
first to the one i didnt qoute but wanted to- SBG said that it was a matter of spiritual maturity. What? Brother that is one of the most insane comments I've read tonight. Really no other comment for that is needed. But anyway.

.
I rest my case.
 

SBG

Senior Member
leroy said:
I wore a nice pair of shorts (knee length) and a collared dress shirt to Church tonight and a pair of leather sandal type shoes. I thought of this thread and looked around probably 85% of the people, young and old, in our Church tonight had on some type of jeans. And I thought I can't see God looking down thinking Hmmm there they are in my house with those jeans and shorts on.
Just out of curiosity...What kind of hat did you where during the service?
 
Like has already been said on here It's not that we would throw anyone out of church for not knowing any better (lost person) or even a christian just because they don't want to be inconvienced. The christian that is mature in their faith would or should dress appropiately. the babes in christ might not know any better. I don't necessaraly blame it on the church member but the pastor and decons for being willing to compromise in order to fill the church or grow it as they might think. Important note here is that god never changes in any way his ways are higher than our ways. the bible says something on the lines of man does what seems right in his own eyes without even asking God or caring what he has to say about it. We need to ask God is he pleased with us in everything we do everywhere we go and that even comes down to our clothes. How many times have you felt that people were staring at you or did't feel exactly right about a situation you were in, or felt you needed to hide because of the way you were dressed, not just at church but anywhere? you think that might be a sign that even deep down you know it is wrong.
The main thing I see in this thread is that people are just too lazy or stubborn to be willing to work for God. If you are going to follow him then there are some things you are going to have to give up and most preachers now a days won't tell the church were they are going wrong for fear of losing their jobs or making enemys. If you are going to be a friend of Jesus then you have to be an enemy of the world. If this ruffles your feathers then you need to talk to God about it.
Dana
 

leroy

Senior Member
SBG said:
Just out of curiosity...What kind of hat did you where during the service?

No hat! Some wear hats or caps but take them off while in Church. I'm still waiting on scriptures that back up a dress code in Church. Would soeone give me a example of where your Church has called someone out on their dress, I think it is one thing that sorta takes care of itself. I'm just happy to belong to a Church that is out for winning souls to Christ and not worrying if some have on shorts or jeans.
 
GeauxLSU said:
Of course. You can do it in your underwear or bare rear naked if you want. Would you go to church either way?
As I said, some will pretend this is a high horse issue. It's not. It's yet another example of us changing God to suit our selfish needs (we can't be 'bothered' to dress a little nicer for church?!?!). As he said "Will you not stay awake with me but one hour?"
We hear it all. "Well I don't need to go to church and if I go I sure don't need to dress like I'm going...."
It's amazing how we define God based on our selfish desires isn't it? It's not ALL good.
Is it really asking so much to dress respectfully to entire the house of the Lord who willingly sacrificed Himself for your benefit by hanging until His death on a cross? No, of course He doesn't NEED it. But He most certainly DESERVES it. I guess it's just too much to ask.....

Sad to say, but it looks like our society is turning this way.... Great Post GeauxLSU!! AMEN!!

DB BB
 

SBG

Senior Member
leroy said:
No hat! Some wear hats or caps but take them off while in Church.
Why do they take their hats off?:huh:

This is not to argue...just to make a point.

As far as a Church calling someone out on dress...I've never seen it happen. I have been in business meetings when the Pastor reminded the Church in general what the dress requirements are for Church members.

I personally have had to send girls home from youth activities that were not appropriately dressed. BTW, these were girls that had made a public profession of faith in the Lord.
 
I don't personally wear shorts to church but I look at it this way. The world now a days is goin to crap, we need to get people into church anyway we can and get them away from drugs and sex. If this means tellin them they can wear shorts to church than so be it. Id rather have people in church than have them turned away because of a dress code and instead of worshipping on Sunday Mornin doin drugs or sinning in some kind of other way.
 
"get people into church anyway we can" belief is what has gotten so many worldly things in the church already.....Christians are supposed to be a different from all the rest of the world, not be the same.

What is the point of letting them come in with daisy dukes and skimpy tank tops on? What is next g-strings and bras?

What this world lacks is a good dose of Godly Common Sense.

DB BB
 

GeauxLSU

Senior Member
Double Barrel BB said:
"get people into church anyway we can" belief is what has gotten so many worldly things in the church already.....
Ain't that the truth! As long as they are continued to be run like businesses, it will continue.
 

leroy

Senior Member
Double Barrel BB said:
"get people into church anyway we can" belief is what has gotten so many worldly things in the church already.....Christians are supposed to be a different from all the rest of the world, not be the same.

What is the point of letting them come in with daisy dukes and skimpy tank tops on? What is next g-strings and bras?

What this world lacks is a good dose of Godly Common Sense.

DB BB

You can go to an extreme and it be a problem with dress (ex. daisy dukes, tank tops)but have never seen this in our Church even with youth. But I see nothing wrong with a nice pair of jeans or shorts, as I said knee length, and a nice dress collared shirt.
 
So who draws the line? Or does the line just get moved further and further back, because no one has the guts to stand up and say, wait a sec???

I think the problem now a days is we have too many churches preaching this "feel good" theology than the Truth. No one wants to stand up and say "No, we are not doing that here!" because we don't want to exclude anyone...better to have a ton of people in the service.

DB BB
 

leroy

Senior Member
Double Barrel BB said:
So who draws the line? Or does the line just get moved further and further back, because no one has the guts to stand up and say, wait a sec???

I think the problem now a days is we have too many churches preaching this "feel good" theology than the Truth. No one wants to stand up and say "No, we are not doing that here!" because we don't want to exclude anyone...better to have a ton of people in the service.

DB BB

But where does the word say it is wrong to wear jeans or shorts?
 

Branchminnow

GONetwork Senator Area 51
Double Barrel BB said:
So who draws the line? Or does the line just get moved further and further back, because no one has the guts to stand up and say, wait a sec???

I

DB BB
You are right on BB
 
Top