Dress code at church?

Jody Hawk

Just curious, what do y'all think of a grown man wearing shorts to church? When I was coming up us kids didn't even wear shorts to church. Now alot of kids wear them and occasionally a grown up. Now I can take jeans and T-Shirts but I think shorts are a bit too much, but that is just the way I was raised.

Arrow3

I think as long as your there, it doesn't matter what you wear...

SBG

Personally, I don't agree with it. But that is how I was raised.

ilikembig

But are we going to church to see what everyone is wearing? I was raised as well putting on Sunday best, And I do wear the occasional pair of jeans to service, but it does not bother me at all to see the younger crowd or even an adult comfortable. I am proud to see them in service. Do you think God looks at it as disrespect?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
It`s not for me to say, but I won`t do it.

Dana Young

It does matter what you wear. think about it if you were going to see someone's family that had given ther life for you you would dress appropiately to show your respect for them wouldn't you. Jesus not only gave his life for you but made a way for you to go directly to good with your needs and prayers without having to go through a priest, plus he gave you eternal life. doesn't he and God the father deserve respect even more so?
Dana

ilikembig

Is the giving of respect by what one wears though? What about those who attend service yet the best they can wear is holy jeans or a pair of shorts during the summer time? I just find it hard to believe in my heart that God will look down on one of his own if they are not in slacks and dress shirts.

Branchminnow

GONetwork Senator Area 51
Shorts are not appropriate for anyone, but neither is a mini skirt.

DCarter001

If what you are wearing is in good taste, wear it. Docker's shorts, golf shirt, good shoes, how is that not respectful? You can't see a man's heart by looking at his fashion.

fatboy84

Been down this road before but it was concerning women wearing pants to church and then it spiraled down from there.......

I would rather see them there in shorts worshiping than not worshiping.

Georgiaastro

fatboy84 said:
Been down this road before but it was concerning women wearing pants to church and then it spiraled down from there.......

I would rather see them there in shorts worshiping than not worshiping.
Amen; May not look real good but if they're in church it can't be all that bad. Would never think of asking them to leave.

Jody Hawk

Georgiaastro said:
Would never think of asking them to leave.

I agree 100% but I still think that we should dress appropriate in the House of the Lord. But like I said, that is how I was raised. Maybe I need to change with the times.

creekrunner

Its the way I ways raised too. If your going to the church, dress like it, if your going to campmeeting ,shorts are fine

GAGE

GONetwork Member
My church attire is either Mossy Oak camo or Columbia performance fishing gear...I was raised Catholic and IMO it is what is in your heart not on your person and my Church is the great outdoors enjoying what he created!:cheers:

Torupduck

Banned
Here we go again. If yall want to go to church to judge one another why go? How is it bad taste to wear shorts? I can see the comments coming already so yall have it. I will not JUDGE you for them.

SBG

toridak said:
Here we go again. If yall want to go to church to judge one another why go? How is it bad taste to wear shorts? I can see the comments coming already so yall have it. I will not JUDGE you for them.

Admittedly, it is a difficult subject to discuss without folks getting riled up. Here is what I believe.

The topic of dress code in the Church is one that needs to be broached prayerfully. We have an older gentleman that comes to our Church regularly that always wears shorts. He is from up North and he freely admits that the standards are more lax from his part of the country. I believe that he is a born again believer and that he loves the Lord and His word. I also believe, even though he is in his 70's and has been in Church for many years, that he is spiritually immature. The Bible teaches that when a person is saved, that they LITERALLY become a new creature. The old things of life pass away and all things become new. At the time of conversion, all that have been saved, begin their walk with Christ. It is a growing process that takes the newborn babe In Christ upon a path to more spiritual maturity. In this walk, some move forward, others stand still, and unfortunately, some even take one step forward and then two steps back. Each of these folks are saved and on their way to heaven; however, the one that stays still, and the one that makes progress just to fall back, are the ones that will never reach maturity in their spiritual relationship with the Lord.

Having said that, a Church should NEVER turn a visitor away because of what they are wearing...unless it is something that is obviously offensive or disrespectful. IMHO, jeans on ladies, shorts on men, etc. does not meet that criteria.

I do believe that a Church can and should develop a dress code for its members and for the workers. Before a person becomes a member of the Church, they should be explained what the dress requirements are, and they should accept them before taking membership. Members should also be admonished not to look down on a visitor because of their attire, and should welcome them with Christian love and desire to see them get saved or see them grow in spiritual maturity.

TOW

A cowboy in church

A cowboy in church

One Sunday morning an old cowboy entered a church just
before services were to begin. Although the old man
and his clothes were spotlessly clean, he wore jeans,
a denim shirt and boots that were very worn and
ragged. In his hand he carried a worn out old hat and
an equally worn out Bible.

The church he entered was in a very upscale and
exclusive part of the city. It was the largest and
most beautiful church the old cowboy had ever seen.
The people of the congregation were all dressed with
expensive clothes and accessories.

As the cowboy took a seat, the others moved away from
him. No one greeted, spoke to, or welcomed him. They
were all appalled at his appearance and did not
attempt to hide it.

As the old cowboy was leaving the church, the preacher
approached him and asked the cowboy to do him a favor.
"Before you come back in here again, have a talk with
God and ask him what he thinks would be appropriate
attire for worship." The old cowboy assured the
preacher he would.

The next Sunday, he showed back up for the services
wearing the same ragged jeans, shirt, boots, and hat.
Once again he was completely shunned and ignored. The
preacher approached the man and said, "I thought I
asked you to speak to God before you came back to our
church."

"I did," replied the old cowboy.

"If you spoke to God, what did he tell you the proper
attire should be for worshiping in here?" asked the
preacher.

"Well, sir, God told me that He didn't have a clue
what I should wear. He said He'd never been in this
church "

SBG

TOW said:
A cowboy in church

One Sunday morning an old cowboy entered a church just
before services were to begin. Although the old man
and his clothes were spotlessly clean, he wore jeans,
a denim shirt and boots that were very worn and
ragged. In his hand he carried a worn out old hat and
an equally worn out Bible.

The church he entered was in a very upscale and
exclusive part of the city. It was the largest and
most beautiful church the old cowboy had ever seen.
The people of the congregation were all dressed with
expensive clothes and accessories.

As the cowboy took a seat, the others moved away from
him. No one greeted, spoke to, or welcomed him. They
were all appalled at his appearance and did not
attempt to hide it.

As the old cowboy was leaving the church, the preacher
approached him and asked the cowboy to do him a favor.
"Before you come back in here again, have a talk with
God and ask him what he thinks would be appropriate
attire for worship." The old cowboy assured the
preacher he would.

The next Sunday, he showed back up for the services
wearing the same ragged jeans, shirt, boots, and hat.
Once again he was completely shunned and ignored. The
preacher approached the man and said, "I thought I
asked you to speak to God before you came back to our
church."

"I did," replied the old cowboy.

"If you spoke to God, what did he tell you the proper
attire should be for worshiping in here?" asked the
preacher.

"Well, sir, God told me that He didn't have a clue
what I should wear. He said He'd never been in this
church "

Good one TOW.:clap: