Driving Pet Peeve

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
OK, bringing this back up since I just moved to an area that has several more roundabouts... I guess folks around here just don't know how to properly navigate them? The point is to keep moving and only yield to your left, it's not a 3-way stop and an opportunity to be polite and someone else go.

Also, high-beam lights. Now that it is darker earlier, apparently other drivers don't care about blinding oncoming drivers...

Lastly... rain. People around here drive slower when it rains than people up north when its snowy and icy. I'm completely baffled that when I'm driving 65 on a posted 55, and I'm getting passed left and right. Yet when it's raining, those same people are likely the ones who back it down 45 like the rain is going to somehow magically push them off the road.

Rant over. :deadhorse:

Ever had a car hydroplane with you? It will magically push you out of the road, into the wall, or into another car. Especially if you're in a front-wheel drive car. Every time it rains here, some idiot driving 75 mph through the pouring rain hydroplanes, wrecks several other people, and shuts down the interstate for hours.

BeerThirty

Ever had a car hydroplane with you? It will magically push you out of the road, into the wall, or into another car. Especially if you're in a front-wheel drive car. Every time it rains here, some idiot driving 75 mph through the pouring rain hydroplanes, wrecks several other people, and shuts down the interstate for hours.

I've never hydroplaned because I'm pretty good at spotting those hazardous areas from a distance, adjusting my speed accordingly and then speeding back up.

An interstate is a bit of an extreme example, anyway. Of course hydroplaning is more likely in that scenario, especially in a downpour. On the other hand, doing 10-15 under in a posted 45 during a typical rainfall where overly cautious driving is not justified will result in me riding your behind dangerously close.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I've never hydroplaned because I'm pretty good at spotting those hazardous areas from a distance, adjusting my speed accordingly and then speeding back up.

An interstate is a bit of an extreme example, anyway. Of course hydroplaning is more likely in that scenario, especially in a downpour. On the other hand, doing 10-15 under in a posted 45 during a typical rainfall where overly cautious driving is not justified will result in me riding your behind dangerously close.

I agree with you on that. I drive a rear-wheel drive truck with good tires anyway. Unfortunately, I have to drive 80 miles of interstate every day.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
I understand that you are going to fly at 100 in a 70 I will get over then.
I am talking about doing 70 in a 55 how fast is fast enough?? And if you have an emergency put on your four ways that will surely signal that you have an emergency.
If you have to turn on your flashers it should be an emergency and you should pull over to the side of the road...not keep driving 40 on the interstate for miles on end..

StriperrHunterr

Wimmens putting on makeup, especially eye makeup, while in the car but especially while said car is in traffic. The visor is always down so they can see what they're doing, they're looking in the mirror anyway, and the slightest bump in the wrong way/time results in them being essentially blind. What could possibly go wrong with that?

sinclair1

32 degrees on wet roads and people are blowing by me like it's July.

I am prepared to start hearing ambulance sirens as soon as the black ice shows up.

ribber

By far the #1 peeve is the idiots who stop to let folks out when the light is green, and cause me to sit through another red light. Ask anyone who knows me and they will confirm that I absolutely can't stand it.
There is a major intersection where I live that has a Wendy's, a bank, Walgreens, etc. and the red lights are long and green lights are short.
I will have already sat through 3 red lights, the light turns green, and the jackhole in front of me stops to let 4 cars pull out of Wendy's, then I catch the red light again. Hate it with extreme passion.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
By far the #1 peeve is the idiots who stop to let folks out when the light is green, and cause me to sit through another red light. Ask anyone who knows me and they will confirm that I absolutely can't stand it.
There is a major intersection where I live that has a Wendy's, a bank, Walgreens, etc. and the red lights are long and green lights are short.
I will have already sat through 3 red lights, the light turns green, and the jackhole in front of me stops to let 4 cars pull out of Wendy's, then I catch the red light again. Hate it with extreme passion.

What if you're one of the cars pulling out of Wendy's? :D

BeerThirty

32 degrees on wet roads and people are blowing by me like it's July.

I am prepared to start hearing ambulance sirens as soon as the black ice shows up.

You do realize that just because the air temperature is at freezing doesn’t mean the roads are freezing, right? This is the biggest misconception I’ve seen from folks in the south, they think the roads magically ice over at 32.

sinclair1

You do realize that just because the air temperature is at freezing doesn’t mean the roads are freezing, right? This is the biggest misconception I’ve seen from folks in the south, they think the roads magically ice over at 32.

If it did we all would have crashed. I am a odds guy, so although I speed quite regularly and some times at really high speed, I always make sure the odds are in my favor to not crash or hurt other drivers.

Zooming around at 20 over the speed limit when trees were falling and slush was on the road is a stupid move.

We had a road full of snow and it was only 34 degrees six hours before and it had not fully melted on the shade areas, and still have 6 inches in the grass today, so I guess you can add single thinkers to my pet peeves. :flag:

Oldstick

has a Wendy's, a bank, Walgreens, etc. and the red lights are long and green lights are short.

Yep agree, that sounds like Russell Pky and Moody, and if so, it is foolish to even think about trying to go left out of the Wendy's. At main traffic hours especially. One needs to go right then turn around during hours.

I am always the courteous one willing to let almost anyone out, but if they are really expecting to get out left at that location, then they are the ones being rude.

ribber

Yep agree, that sounds like Russell Pky and Moody, and if so, it is foolish to even think about trying to go left out of the Wendy's. At main traffic hours especially. One needs to go right then turn around during hours.

I am always the courteous one willing to let almost anyone out, but if they are really expecting to get out left at that location, then they are the ones being rude.

I'm fine with letting them out if the light is red and you're not going anywhere. But, some people will stop while the light is green and let them out. Have seen some slam on brakes to let them out. It makes me talk ugly every time.:D

NOYDB

BANNED
One needs to go right then turn around during hours.

That would skewer their manhood.

Plan ahead? Let someone else get ahead of them? Exert the effort to direct a motorized conveyance an extra couple dozen yards?

Not bow up and assert their dominance in a traffic situation?

How un-American.

LTZ25

Wrecker drivers that always have there light bars flashing , you get a ticket in most states for that . This one is a metro ATL. thing people who come out of a parking lot and block four lanes of traffic to make a left turn because they are to good to use exit on other side of lot that leads to traffic light.

GoldDot40

I hate people who will risk every life around them to pass a tractor-trailer because they refuse to ride behind one. Then, when they finally get around one...refuse to run the speed limit...or turn in less than a 1/2 mile from where they initiated the pass.

I've literally had people pass me on the right shoulder...in the grass...when a 3-lane passing zone narrows back to 2-lanes, only to slow down to a speed WAY less than what I was planning on running.

Threesons

I drive a stretch of highway every day that has a school bus that stops about every 100yds for about two miles. First of all, what ever happened to school bus stops? We had to walk a half a mile to the bus stop where 20 other kids were there to be picked up or dropped off. Now, everyone has their own personal bus stop, but that's a discussion for another thread.
My pet peeve is when there is the one driver in the front of the line that refuses to pass the bus after the lights go out and the signs are in. NO, they just pace the bus for the entire 2 mile stretch, adding another 10 minutes to my commute.

joepuppy

Don't forget the one that pulls out in front of you when there is nobody behind you and all they had to do was wait 5 seconds literally and wouldn't have affected anyone...then after making you hit the brakes for pulling out in front of you, they make a turn right up the street and you have to hit brakes again :banginghe

You beat me to it. Drives me crazy!

BeerThirty

What's up with like half of the population not knowing how to properly navigate and yield in a roundabout? I swear, I get stuck behind so many people that treat it like a stop sign and make sure it's totally clear on both sides before entering... I guess people don't realize they only have to yield to cars coming from the left..:huh:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I hate people who will risk every life around them to pass a tractor-trailer because they refuse to ride behind one. Then, when they finally get around one...refuse to run the speed limit...or turn in less than a 1/2 mile from where they initiated the pass.

I've literally had people pass me on the right shoulder...in the grass...when a 3-lane passing zone narrows back to 2-lanes, only to slow down to a speed WAY less than what I was planning on running.

I hate getting stuck behind a tractor trailer. They slow to a crawl on hills, do 50mph 10-mile-long drag races with the tractor trailer in the other lane that's going the same speed in a 65mph zone, you're stuck there breathing diesel fumes, and you can't see what's in front of them. ::ke: :D