Drones and Fishing

BDD

Anybody use a drone to take their bait out when surf fishing ?
We’re going back to the same place we stayed at Cape San Blas.
The problem we had last year is there’s a sand bar about 100 yards out.
Surf fishing wasn’t too good unless you waded out to the sand bar
and casted from there. I was thinking about running the bait out with a drone.

Anybody tried it ?

3ringer

Nope , but if your drone can handle the weight , it would be cool. Be sure to video it. There may be a YouTube video already. There was a guy in a kayak running bait out for pier fisherman in Panama City. He was charging 5 bucks a run. This was at midnight and all he had was a glow stick. He would run out in the ocean 150 yards or so past the end of the pier. No way would I ever do this in a kayak and at night time. Good luck with your adventure

BDD

Yes, I saw the guy in the kayak at PCB last year, the fishermen were waiting their turn for him.
You could pay for your drone working that job, but that would need to be a powerful drone. Some
of those shark baits were huge. The one guy had two fish tie wrapped together, that looked to be a few
pounds apiece.

I’d just be using a few ounces of weight and some cut bait. My friend has a Phantom that would do the job.
I read that you can use a swivel clip that you use on an out rigger or a kite, they release when you get a hit.
When the drone reaches the point where you want to fish just give a little tug.

3ringer

I fly rc planes. They have really small micro servo’s that you could use to trigger a release for the bait.

NOYDB

BANNED
Have to keep in mind that the further out you go the more your line weighs. And if you go out far enough to add too much line weight, your drone will hit the water, which could end up ruining your drone.

Also keep in mind that when the line gets wet, it will weigh more.

treemanjohn

Banned
I wouldnt get fancy with it. I would use an downrigger clip to release my line. Try it over dry land first and make sure your drone can buck the winds

0f1b5e0366307cc032655690c48e86ef.jpg

Dr. Strangelove

I fooled around a bit years ago with a system to launch lines out past the breakers using model rocket engines. I had most of the kinks worked out but life happened and I never got around to finishing the project.

sinclair1

It's a $1000 risk to get maybe three cast out there on a charge. I have a buddy who risk his for photos inside volcanos in Hawaii, that were being passed to the cloud, but for cast, seems kinda stupid.

I would just rent a jet ski for the day and have my wife Idle my line out between having fun, before trying this with my drone. One bird hitting the line could take you down, not to even speak of wind gust.

Drones are not what folks without one think they are.:flag:

NOYDB

BANNED
A drone doesn't have to be flown. Not as trendy but a drone boat can be used and avoid the issues of wet line or heavy bait.

Still can be expensive if an error is made.

Latest posts