Drop top fever is running it's course

j_seph

My dream car
120515_22a.jpg

ldw308

I got a new camaro about 6 months ago . Its a coupe, not a drop top. My first new car was a 73 camaro Z-28. Took me 45 years to get another one. We use it as a week end car. Its the v-6 motor, just could not see the extra money to get in a v-8. Its a blast to drive . Acceleration is strong, rides good , corners flat. I got stopped doing 61 in a 45 zone . Cop asked me whats the hurry. Told him I was just an older guy enjoying a sports car. He laughed then let me go.

Reactions: Dub

Dub

My dream car
120515_22a.jpg

Hard not to love 'em.

Never seen one in that color......in fact, for some reason when growing up I don't recall ever seeing a black Corvette in person.....at least not until the generation that came into play in '84 and onward. Mostly what I saw in the classics were red, silver and white.

I'm mighty partial to black vehicles. I've always felt that virtually every car or truck that is sharp looking......can be even better in black.

When I was forced to go shopping for a primary daily driver last October I knew it was going to have to be a truck to cover my needs......and the "wants" hot rod would have to wait until later on. I bought a black truck to at least scratch the "looks good to me" itch.

I bought a new Mustang GT.....in black....the second day I began working for my current employer almost 25 years ago. Man....that car was some kinda fun. One of my best friends had a red one that he bought two weeks prior from the same dealer. We had a blast running the roads around Greenville, NC in those cars.

I got a new camaro about 6 months ago . Its a coupe, not a drop top. My first new car was a 73 camaro Z-28. Took me 45 years to get another one. We use it as a week end car. Its the v-6 motor, just could not see the extra money to get in a v-8. Its a blast to drive . Acceleration is strong, rides good , corners flat. I got stopped doing 61 in a 45 zone . Cop asked me whats the hurry. Told him I was just an older guy enjoying a sports car. He laughed then let me go.

I'm writing that one down...."Just and old guy enjoying a sports car". Hopefully it will get me out of a speeding ticket situation as I relearn what it's like to drive a car that will scoot.

My first car was a 1966 Mustang.....manual transmission. Sure will be cool if my next sporty car.....some 36 years later.....is another Mustang stick shift.

I can think of over a dozen close co-workers who have the 6 cylinder Camaro or Challenger. Those things each have well over 300 horsepower. The Camaro guys all rave over the handling and fun-factor of driving them.

I'm looking forward to the day......

j_seph

I want a 73 lol

Dub

Had a pleasant Sunday afternoon.

Got a big ole glass of strongly brewed iced tea and headed over to the nearby Ford stealership to enjoy some quiet time looking around without being hounded.

Was easy to rule out color choices that I'm not fond of. I can see where they'd be popular among a younger crowd, though.

I figured that Shadow Black would be my favorite....my '95 GT was black........and I surely like it......but another color really appealed to me more today.

My very first car was a blue '66 Mustang. A lot of great things happened once I had the keys to that car.

So....that being said....my interest in blue is strong.

This wasn't the shade that moved me, though.

This Kona Blue, however....was right up my alley. I really like it....and so did my bride.

The black wheels & roof appealed to me, too.

Of course, the roof on my future fun ride will like be a black cloth version anyway.

Missing form the lot were any of the reds....which my '85 college LX 'Stang was. Looking forward to seeing the Ruby Red in person.

Last edited:

sinclair1

The wife and I dropped the top today and took a drive. Fun times, but never went over 70 the whole trip, just put everything in sport mode and listen to exhaust notes and AC/DC on some curvy roads :flag:

Last edited:

Dub

The wife and I dropped the top today and took a drive. Fun times, but never went over 70 the whole trip, just put everything in sport mode and listen to exhaust notes and AC/DC on some curvy roads :flag:

That sounds like a perfect day !!!!!!!!

Cwill15

One day people will learn that buying the hyped model of any brand has a re sale that puts you in and out of it for less loss than a econo box. As much as I like arguing with Heed in traffic, I would go with one of the models he posted.

A good many you can sell for 5- 10k less than you bought it for after ten years which don't happen on a econo box.

Same with the Hcat, you won't lose much in Long run on that 60k purchase.

I have to agree with this statement in most cases. Although there aren't many vehicles that are "investments" there are certain models you can own and not take too big a hit. I bought this car used in 2010 with 43k miles. Today it has ~80K miles and blue books more than I paid for the car 8 years ago and have put 40k miles on the car. 2003 cobra. One of 302 built in mineral grey.car.jpg

normaldave

GON Weatherman
This Kona Blue, however....was right up my alley. I really like it....and so did my bride.

You mean like this one? (made me look...) found it at Murfreesboro Ford. GT Premium, black and tan interior. Thanks, now I'm looking at Mustang ragtops...
Window Sticker

1.jpg

Edit: Ruh Roh Reggie...you got any reason to be in Lafayette Louisiana anytime soon? This one may push you over the edge.

New 2018 GT Premium with 401A package, 3.55 gears, 10 speed, shaker audio, active valve performance exhaust. (Hub City Ford, Lafayette, LA)
Window Sticker
4e1a54e5bd8c1d9d691b4d28ed72fe3dx.jpg

"Hope this helps"

Last edited:

Quepos1

I have a couple of convertibles, a '74 MGB I drive daily when the weather permits (I've never put the top up) and a '65 AC Cobra with 289 which gets driven about 25 miles per year, it is part of my retirement portfolio.

Dub

You mean like this one? (made me look...) found it at Murfreesboro Ford. GT Premium, black and tan interior. Thanks, now I'm looking at Mustang ragtops...
Window Sticker

1.jpg

Edit: Ruh Roh Reggie...you got any reason to be in Lafayette Louisiana anytime soon? This one may push you over the edge.

New 2018 GT Premium with 401A package, 3.55 gears, 10 speed, shaker audio, active valve performance exhaust. (Hub City Ford, Lafayette, LA)
Window Sticker
4e1a54e5bd8c1d9d691b4d28ed72fe3dx.jpg

"Hope this helps"

Now the fever is really going.

I believe I prefer the blackout package of the first....but the active exhaust on the second.

I've always been a sucker for black cars/trucks......but that Kona blue really does appeal to me.

Thanks for stepping up the want & temptation even more.

The cool thing about having time to kill is that it'll give me more time to really get dialed in on exactly what I want....and to watch the used market, too.

Dub

I have a couple of convertibles, a '74 MGB I drive daily when the weather permits (I've never put the top up) and a '65 AC Cobra with 289 which gets driven about 25 miles per year, it is part of my retirement portfolio.

A classic to enjoy daily and one to admire long term.

Nice.

Dub

I have to agree with this statement in most cases. Although there aren't many vehicles that are "investments" there are certain models you can own and not take too big a hit. I bought this car used in 2010 with 43k miles. Today it has ~80K miles and blue books more than I paid for the car 8 years ago and have put 40k miles on the car. 2003 cobra. One of 302 built in mineral grey.View attachment 945344

Beautiful Mustang. Gotta love the Snake.

I remember when I bought my last GT......I also looked at the Cobra models, too. There was a bit of cost difference, not huge. There didn't appear to me to be, on that year's crop, at least......to be a large performance gain, either.

Looking back on it, though.....the Cobra would have retained much more value.

I really like the color or yours.

REDMOND1858

Get the Jeep. It's like a big non-gay Miata that's 4wd.

IMG_0224.jpg

5 years ago I’d agree, but now days a Jeep screams “I drink IPA beer, wear short shorts, attend my Thursday night Jeep dinner club, and my mud tires have never been off blacktop.” Some weird cats around here driving them things. That being said. I’d much rather have a Jeep than a car. Compare the depreciation on a Jeep vs. Camarillo/mustang.

ucfireman

The only way to drive a Jeep with the top down is with the doors off, otherwise whats the point?
The newer mustang looks great in the dark metallic gray, and the 6cyl make 300, the turbo 4 make 320hp and will stay with the 8cyl to 60 or so. Where can you really use all that power anyway, roads suck and too much traffic.
Ive been looking for a new ride myself, I like the looks of the Fiat spider, but wont buy it, Im waiting to see what Dodge does, they missed their chance with this Challenger, Hopefully they do one with the new body.
I have a 89 Dodge Dakota now, See below. "Redneck Ragtop"

Attachments

• DSCF4319.JPG
    DSCF4319.JPG
    470.1 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCF4320.JPG
    DSCF4320.JPG
    487.6 KB · Views: 11

naildrvr

The newer mustang looks great in the dark metallic gray, and the 6cyl make 300, the turbo 4 make 320hp and will stay with the 8cyl to 60 or so. Where can you really use all that power anyway, roads suck and too much traffic
Sometimes you just gotta hit them old back roads and stretch that baby out! That's where the four cylinder nor the six cylinder will get the job done. Why would you take the risk of some little snotty nose punk pulling up beside you for a challenge and all you have is a 4-cylinder or 6 cylinder compared to the V8 that his parents bought?

Dub

Getting crazy......thinking about a Stage 3 Rousch Stang.....700+ hp.......sure would be fun to cruise the twisty roads as well as some stoplight romping.

Quepos1

‘65 AC Cobra? Within a week I would be wearing an orange jump suit with a new address st the county hotel. But what a ride!
I do not drive the Cobra. It lives in a climate controlled storage unit along with a couple of other cars I have for my retirement. The each get cranked regularly warmed up, oil changed twice per year and driven approximately 25 miles per yr each. Too valuable to have on the road or put miles on.