Drug addicts, tobacco users and fat people.

REDMOND1858

Drug addicts:
Use drug of choice to get a high.
Makes them feel better.
Often experience Long term health problems or death.
Small fraction of population, roughly (10-15%)
Socially unacceptable.
ILLEGAL!

Tobacco users:
Drug of choice is nicotine.
Enjoyable by user and makes them feel better.
Often experience long term health problems and eventually death.
Legal, but regulated by the government and taxed at astronomical rates.
Moderate usage by population (16-18%)
Age restrictions
Socially unacceptable.

Fat people:
Drug of choice is sugar, carbs, fats.
Enjoyable and satisfying by consumer.
Often experience long term healt problems or death.
Legal, unregulated, no age restriction
Majority of population (50-75%) depending on which study you use
Socially acceptable.

Another thread got me thinking about this. A single group of people was called “stupid” by a handful of people on here. I couldn’t help but wonder how many of the people calling them stupid were overweight. Why is it socially acceptable to bash one group of people for their choice, but not the other? I have spent the last 7 years around of my life around all three groups of people working in public safety. By far, the one that is the biggest burden on the tax payer is fat people. Not even a close race. Dialysis centers, pharmacies, non-emergency ambulance transports, hospitals, cardiologist, doctors offices are covered up with fat people. They bill Medicare and Medicaid hundreds of millions of dollars each week to pay for it. Why is it that we can walk up to a smoker and tell them they are stupid and that they are killing them self and nobody cares, but you walk up to a disgusting looking 300# person at Wendy’s and say the same thing, and your now a monster?

Why can a 13 year old kid go to McDonalds and order a double quarter pounder with a large fry and coke all day long, but has to be 18 to purchase a can of copenhagen?

How does the guy who is 75 pounds overweight and on 7 different medications for heart disease, high BP, high cholesterol and diabetes, in good conscious, keep suggesting that we quit administering narcan to people who overdose?

How do they not realize they are in the same boat? That they are an addict also? That they are probably, in their
Lifetime, going to cost the taxpayer more money than the drug addict, drunk, or tobacco user would?

I know I’m stirring the hornets nest, but think about it, and be honest with yourself. What are y’all thoughts?

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
Don't do drugs so can't speak to that.
Don't smoke so can't speak to that.
Fat people smell funny when they get wet so I can speak to that.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
Great Post / Thread.

My take on it is; follow the money, especially the disease (overweight, hypertension etc is a disease) and see which one makes Big Pharmaceutical the most money? Capitalism is great, but can have it's short comings when it is monopolized by corporations in cahoots with the Feds (FDA)

ryanh487

Brain scans have shown that sugar triggers the same reaction in the brain as heroin or meth.

There is more money to be made on keeping drugs illegal than there is in letting people kill themselves at their leisure.

There is more money to be made off letting people get fat on sugar than there is on keeping folks healthy. Those 7 prescriptions are lining a lot more pockets than a healthy diet does.

Cigarrettes just make money for everyone from those collecting the taxes to the health care providers making billions off of treating diseases caused by them.

Cmp1

BANNED
Brain scans have shown that sugar triggers the same reaction in the brain as heroin or meth.

There is more money to be made on keeping drugs illegal than there is in letting people kill themselves at their leisure.

There is more money to be made off letting people get fat on sugar than there is on keeping folks healthy. Those 7 prescriptions are lining a lot more pockets than a healthy diet does.

Cigarrettes just make money for everyone from those collecting the taxes to the health care providers making billions off of treating diseases caused by them.

Pain center and depression center are in the same area of the brain also,,,,,

ryanh487

I couldn't care less if smokers harm/kill themselves. My only complaint is having to smell them.

I enjoy the occasional cancer stick myself and I still can't stand the smell of stale second hand smoke, or the BO that heavy smokers get. Definitely can't stand the smell of indoor smoking, or of a heavy smoker's car--gives me a headache. But I don't mind the smell in traffic or open air areas. A lot less harmful than the exhaust fumes I breath for 2 hours a day during my commute.

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
Thought #1- I generally just like to bash bashers.

Thought #2- you described old people, not fat people.

Thought #3- describe "public safety"

REDMOND1858

1-I generally just bash everyone. Myself included from time to time.
2-How’s that? Sure they have some of the same health problems, and cost taxpayers a lot of money also, but age isn’t a choice. So we’ll leave them out for now.
3-Fire and EMS

ryanh487

For the record, NARCAN doesn't automatically cost taxpayers a dime. Ambulance companies are privately owned with government contracts for 911 response. Nothing on those trucks is paid for by the government unless the patient is already on medicare/medicaid and Medicare/medicaid actually pays the bill they are sent. The majority of OD's actually occur in middle and upper middle class areas from rebelious teens, according to a narcotic detective I've spoken with about the issue. The ambulance company eats the cost of anything not covered by insurance of some variety.

Argent11

i am overweight and it didnt and dont cost taxpayers a dime....stupid

I wish I could keep on some weight so do my doctors. We've all tried,nothing seems to work. I can't wear glasses either I have to wear contacts. My wife's insrance pays for those..