Dry ice questions??

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
Hello!!!!
I'm going to a hunting camp in Norther Maine.
I want to bring a couple meals with me to cook at camp.
I've got 4 frozen gobbler breast and some frozen grouper and red snapper fillets.
I don't know anything really about dry ice. But I wanted to use some to keep these items frozen for a couple days.
Also....I want to bring a couple tubs of Dills coleslaw that goes well with the fish.....if I put coleslaw in as it is with the cooler with dry ice will it stay fresh or try to freeze or ruin????

Any advice on traveling with dry ice would be awesome!! I've never used dry ice before.
Thanks!!

Jim Baker

Staff member
Hello!!!!
I'm going to a hunting camp in Norther Maine.
I want to bring a couple meals with me to cook at camp.
I've got 4 frozen gobbler breast and some frozen grouper and red snapper fillets.
I don't know anything really about dry ice. But I wanted to use some to keep these items frozen for a couple days.
Also....I want to bring a couple tubs of Dills coleslaw that goes well with the fish.....if I put coleslaw in as it is with the cooler with dry ice will it stay fresh or try to freeze or ruin????

Any advice on traveling with dry ice would be awesome!! I've never used dry ice before.
Thanks!!

It will freeze the slaw. Google deaths by dry ice. Precautions should be taken.

acurasquirrel

When I went out to Wyoming I had a cooler full of frozen meals and they lasted at least a week. Used dry ice and an RTIC cooler. I don’t think your typical igloo cheapie would last as long.

treemanjohn

Banned
Regular ice works just as well if you set it up right and have a decent cooler. I wrap the frozen items in newspaper and then put them back in the freezer until I'm ready to travel. Also I use a small styrofoam cooler inside if you're going to be going in and out of the cooler

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Don't use it inside you vehicle.It will freeze everything in the cooler.

Elkbane

You draw a moose tag for the area around Jason's camp? Lucky dog.

Dry Ice will definitely freeze the slaw. But it will keep everything else frozen as well.
Elkbane

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
Thanks y'all.
I'll have to figure out how to get the slaw from Dills up there. Maybe just regular coolers with ice????
The 4 gobbler breast and 5 or 6 grouper and snapper fillets I want them to stay frozen until we get to camp.
There will be 10 people in camp and I'm cooking these two suppers.

I will read the google dry ice link. Thanks

Jason drew the moose tag. But he has me down as the subpermitte!!!!!!!!!!
I'm pretty fired up!!!

Jim Baker

Staff member
If your meat is vacuum sealed you can salt the ice. This will keep the ice from melting as quick and keep everything colder as the salted ice lowers the temp of the ice. Like churning ice cream.

you can google it.

NOYDB

BANNED
What ever you have in the cooler will last longer the fewer times you open it. The less air flow, the slower it will melt.

JackSprat

if you have a deep freezer available, with enough space to make blocks of ice, it will stay frozen for the time period you describe in any decent cooler.

A deep freezer will freeze the ice to 0 deg. F. Bag ice from the Quick Mart 30-32 deg. F.

I make blocks of ice by freezing water in a 2 gallon plastic bag. Water is 8 lbs per gallon. In a good cooler in moderate weather, a full bag of frozen water will last 3 or 4 days if you are not opening the cooler all the time.

The secret to keeping frozen stuff frozen a long time is to have 2 coolers. One is the "freezer" you open once a day, and the other is a small day cooler for that day's meals, drinks etc.

If you eat the fish as it thaws out (first on the menu), the turkey breasts would be good 3 or 4 days after thawing if just iced down.

"Back in the day" when you could buy a real block of ice at the ice house in Decatur, a block would last a week in a 1960 vintage steel Coleman cooler. Big pieces of ice is what you want.

The cole slaw will keep a long time if just kept cool - again, keep it in the day cooler.

i would not try to use dry ice in the circumstance you describe. There is really no reason to.

glynr329

If you use dry ice to not put inside vehicle or any closed area that anyone will be. Also about one hand full is all you need for a few days with regular ice. Even that much will freeze everything in cooler. Dry ice is frozen carbon dioxide. A block of dry ice has a surface temperature of -109.3 degrees Fahrenheit (-78.5 degrees C). Dry ice also has the very nice feature of sublimation -- as it breaks down, it turns directly into carbon dioxide gas rather than a liquid.

Snookpimpin

we use dry ice for our food coolers on the boat when we do week long trips. put the dry ice in the bottom of the cooler then cover with a thin sheet of cardboard over it and it wont freeze the food. if you want to keep stuff frozen simply put it under the cardboard.

Latest posts