Dryads Saddle

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
On the hunt for morels(still striking out) I found this dryads saddle.This is the first time I've harvested any. Any recommendations on how you like it prepared would be greatly appreciated. Unfortunately I just had beef stew last night.Screenshot_20190420-170934_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20190420-171111_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20190420-171107_Gallery.jpg

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I wish we had ramps down here. I love those things. Reckon I`m gonna have to go pull some wild onions instead.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I've never eaten one, but all my books say to pick young ones, or the outer edges of the older ones, and cook them long and slow. They're supposed to be fairly good, but not great.

Nice mess of ramps! You just eat the tops and not the bulbs?

Pig Predator

I wish we had ramps down here. I love those things. Reckon I`m gonna have to go pull some wild onions instead.
I freeze them in zip-lock bags with water for future use. I can haul you a bag or two down there when I'm down that way.

Pig Predator

I've never eaten one, but all my books say to pick young ones, or the outer edges of the older ones, and cook them long and slow. They're supposed to be fairly good, but no great.

Nice mess of ramps! You just eat the tops and not the bulbs?
This particular patch I found is young so I just cut the greens. If there is an abundance of them then I keep the bulbs. I like the greens best anyways and they're easier to clean too.

Pig Predator

I've read that the larger mature ones are still edible as long as the flesh is still white. I don't plan on eating the stems, they are a little tough to my liking.

Hillbilly stalker

Man them things look good. I wish when I was younger, back in the mountains, I'd paid closer attention to some things. All the women folk wore dresses and almost always had an apron on with two large pouches and a paring knife . My maw maw would always walk around the side of the hill after she put her beans or what naught on, and collect wild greens. Her and my Aunt Ruthy both had to quit school in the 3rd grade I believe because of going to work during the depression. Them 2 ladies had more knowledge of wild edibles than any people I ever met. Aunt Ruthy had a old broom handle with a table spoon attached to the end, that she would go "spooning" with. She would bring back all king of mushrooms for us all. They might not of had much school learning, but they could quote most scripture and were very wise. I guess my generation dropped the ball on the old ways.

Pig Predator

Man them things look good. I wish when I was younger, back in the mountains, I'd paid closer attention to some things. All the women folk wore dresses and almost always had an apron on with two large pouches and a paring knife . My maw maw would always walk around the side of the hill after she put her beans or what naught on, and collect wild greens. Her and my Aunt Ruthy both had to quit school in the 3rd grade I believe because of going to work during the depression. Them 2 ladies had more knowledge of wild edibles than any people I ever met. Aunt Ruthy had a old broom handle with a table spoon attached to the end, that she would go "spooning" with. She would bring back all king of mushrooms for us all. They might not of had much school learning, but they could quote most scripture and were very wise. I guess my generation dropped the ball on the old ways.
They are definitely a lost breed. I try to spend as much time with the wise old timers as much as I can so I can be as self sufficient as they were or at least know enough to keep me alive if needed. Plus, this stuff is just so darned good to eat and it's good for you too! I'm always in the woods anyways, may as well take somethin home to eat while I'm out there... My dear friend that turned me on to these wild edibles only 5 years ago passed this time last year he was 56 years young. I know he wasn't an old timer per say but he had the knowledge of one.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
They are definitely a lost breed. I try to spend as much time with the wise old timers as much as I can so I can be as self sufficient as they were or at least know enough to keep me alive if needed. Plus, this stuff is just so darned good to eat and it's good for you too! I'm always in the woods anyways, may as well take somethin home to eat while I'm out there... My dear friend that turned me on to these wild edibles only 5 years ago passed this time last year he was 56 years young. I know he wasn't an old timer per say but he had the knowledge of one.

That`s exactly why I paid attention to the lessons my Grandfather taught me. He was what folks called an old timer, even back then

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That sounds a lot like my mom and grandma and all my great aunts.

I picked and ate some dryad's saddle just yesterday. Picked and cooked right they are really good. Only pick the small ones, with very small pores. Slice thin, about 1/4". Add some sesame oil to a medium-hot pan and sear on both sides until they are on the verge of crisping. Add some salt at the end. They lose that oddball cucumber/watermelon scent cooked liked this, and are pretty meaty. I smoked out the kitchen, and from the aroma my daughter thought I was cooking bacon!

Latest posts